fishless

January 2023 Fishing Reports

Rate this topic

116 posts in this topic

22 hours ago, Mr. Bigdeal said:

RBskating.1.jpg

I grew up on Raritan bay and used to sail out to great bed lighthouse in the 70's   I remember seeing pictures of Great Beds lighthouse with a car parked on the ice next to the lighthouse 

Posted (edited)

On 1/19/2023 at 9:52 AM, UncleJohn said:

I grew up on Raritan bay and used to sail out to great bed lighthouse in the 70's   I remember seeing pictures of Great Beds lighthouse with a car parked on the ice next to the lighthouse 

Very cool.  I feel bad for the ice boat guys.  

Edited by bido

Posted (edited)

This guy must have been drunk and needed to go back to sleep. Been grinding out a few walleye each session. 
Gonna turn the hunt toward the long skinny toothy critters soon 

Was nice to share the bank with @plugchucker the other day. Great to meet you! We even caught  few fish.

AD8EF488-D8BF-4C09-A2DD-54C2BC076E68.jpeg

Edited by ridenfish

On 1/19/2023 at 9:51 AM, ridenfish said:

Still getting larger perch in the river. And happily avoiding rivercommando. 

B0501F93-0BA6-4260-A0A7-20B7DB59E6F6.jpeg

4DC24CAD-60BA-434A-87D7-361B7FD5D4E9.jpeg

I smelled ya the other day. Been on the same thing.  Short window but the eyes are around.  Green white back.  Found some on the move, but I’m still a walleye googan.  Maybe this spring I will get a little better.  
Tell Ed I said, Heyyyy!  
RC

Posted (edited)

Came up from Virginia and was in NJ for the Lunar New Year with family. 

Crossed the bridges and went out to one of the popular piers in NY yesterday at 5:30 AM. 

The park doesn't open til 6AM, but there were a few cars parked in the breakdown lanes around the circle.

While waiting, I searched online for a locoal bagel place for coffee and breakfast.  When I came back at 6:15, there were more cars parked at the gate, which was still closed.  One decided to leave and I moved up and got out.

Guy in the lead car said the gate doesn't open til 8AM!  I said I was planning to leave around then!

He said I could just park in the breakdown lanes and go fishing.  No one will mess with the car or ticket.

So I parked ang got my gear to walk to the water.

About 15 minutes in, there was a large flock of seagulls diving near the left side, so I reeled in and ran over there to cast.  My 3 oz. sinker beaned a gull right beteween the shoulders and it went down,but recovered before hitting the water.  The rest of the gulls kinda dispersed and flew into the parking area.  That was all the excitement I had for the morning.

Fished til 8:30 AM and was totally skunked.  A guy came by asking if there were any herring around? I told him "..nothing today."  He said he was able to get a few at a pier in the back bay. We both agreed, it looked like the end of the season.

He got his gear and gave it a try for 10 minutes before quitting.  We both left at the same time.

I'll be back in the area later this week.  If temperatures drop I may give it another swing.

Edited by BillHoo

Posted (edited)

Back in NJ today.  Had a cardiology appointment at the East Orange VA hospital.

Prior to my appointment, I spent 30 minutes at the municipal pier on the Arthur Kill.  Beautiful day!  - SKUNKED

After my appointment I fished just after dark by that horrible sculpture Putin gave the US that no one wanted.  The sign at the entrance indicated the park was open from dawn to dusk.  I was there around 5PM to 6ish (was getting dark).  Was getting really cold.  Not too windy  - SKUNKED

Was fishing with a sabiki rig and LED flasher on the leader and a dodger fashioned from from a paper clip and a  Tastycake pie tin I got at Wawa.

Taking my mom to the dentist tomorrow before I drive back to Virginia.

Edited by BillHoo

2023 FLUKE REGS FINALIZED! Much to the dismay of the majority of fluke fishermen in our state, we are being forced by ASMFC/MAFMC to have the exact same fluke regs as last year. This includes the season, bag and size limits. There is nothing at all our state can do about it. The NJBMF was all set to consider other options but they cannot do it. Please do not blame them. This applies to all states, it's not just New Jersey.  
Paul Haertel, JCAA Past President

4 hours ago, Potato Caboose said:
2023 FLUKE REGS FINALIZED! Much to the dismay of the majority of fluke fishermen in our state, we are being forced by ASMFC/MAFMC to have the exact same fluke regs as last year. This includes the season, bag and size limits. There is nothing at all our state can do about it. The NJBMF was all set to consider other options but they cannot do it. Please do not blame them. This applies to all states, it's not just New Jersey.  
Paul Haertel, JCAA Past President

I wish the start date was moved two weeks later, so the end date was two weeks later! YMMV

On 1/27/2023 at 4:02 PM, Potato Caboose said:
Paul Haertel, JCAA Past 

Do you represent the majority of fluke fishermen?

You aren’t being forced to do anything. The ASMFC sets the regs to try and keep a sustainable fishery. NJ gets 10.6 million pounds. You obviously want more.

As much as I loved it I gave up on fluke along time ago. Got tired of catching last years keepers.

If time and $ spent chasing your passion is unfruitful then maybe it’s time to move on to something else.

We as fishermen are to blame for the current state of affairs.

Greed and gluttony has destroy the sea.

While it seems impossible, doubtful, just maybe the regs will work one day.

Just copied and pasted something from JCAA page for information. Jeez take it easy skippy. 

by the way it’s a big ocean not that long ago everyone on here said Stripers where extinct