Random Image Thread 2023

Rate this topic

7nBait

3 hours ago, spinr0k said:

Random you say,  how about getting ready to grab your rod when you see a copperhead looking back at you.

copperheadOSV.jpg.bc38207b06dc55106739910144091116.jpg

Are you sure on the ID? There are hognose on AI that act aggressively and often are mistaken for other snakes. Have seen them come out to the surf. 

ASSUME NOTHING

21 mins ago, Catskill John said:

Are you sure on the ID? There are hognose on AI that act aggressively and often are mistaken for other snakes. Have seen them come out to the surf. 

Pretty sure this one traveled to the OSV with me.  I keep my surf racks in the backyard during the off season and this was the first trip of the year in spring.  I think he must have been hanging out in the rod tube, very thankful I didn't get bit as he could have gotten me several times.  When I went to bait up my rod he was on the tip figuring out where in the heck he was at.

Notice the triangle head and he had cats eye pupils.

Hognose

Make great pets. I had one for years as a kid.  It would only eat toads.  Weird would not eat frogs.  Got loose and ended up in my Moms bedroom.  Pretty much freaked her out.  Had to let go at that point. lol.   They are the great imitator like a Cobra or pit viper.  If that doesn't work the just roll over and play dead.   They have a nasty musk excretion when you handle them.  Pretty disgusting.  They are very tame.  Very common on AI sand.

Untitled.png

Edited by Critter Gitter
"That's a Screamer"

I am not a snake person,  I view them from a distance and I am OK with that.  I let them do their job and I do mine.   I have had a couple friends that have been put in the hospital by copperheads so I go out of my way to avoid them, not to mention the hospital bill for the anti-venom.

• 2 weeks later...

All these years later fish still impresses me.  Duel died a few years later of cancer.  I remember him when I hit Buxton every other weekend back in those years.  He had a zillion white poles with spinning reels.  One of the nicest people you will meet.  RIP.  Caught at Ramp 34 in Avon and weighed at Frank and Frans.

Duels record.png

Edited by Critter Gitter
"That's a Screamer"

On 11/16/2023 at 8:09 PM, Critter Gitter said:

All these years later fish still impresses me.  Duel died a few years later of cancer.  I remember him when I hit Buxton every other weekend back in those years.  He had a zillion white poles with spinning reels.  One of the nicest people you will meet.  RIP.  Caught at Ramp 34 in Avon and weighed at Frank and Frans.

Duels record.png

The biggest ive caught was 55" with a 35" girth and dnr estimated its weight at 74# in 2018, I couldn't imagine fighting a red being that heavy. mine fought like it was a submarine lol. Still and always will be my favorite fish to chase. 

I remember your fish.  Can you post a pic?  You had a hell of season that year of large.  That fish may have broke the MD state record of 74.4.  Years back Poppy posted the procedure to get a certified scale on the beach for catch and release but doesn't DNR have certify also?

Ron Evans RIP caught a monster Bluefish one year that was also most likely a state record but he released.  AI has produced some huge catches.

Thanks 

Attached is the 22lb 40in. bluefish I caught in 1981.  Thought it was my first Red Drum when I was fighting it.2095005C-C1EC-4977-B756-33514D03D9C8_1_105_c.jpeg.e50f2fb8a27cfc6050a24d6aa2f2b8f7.jpeg

Edited by Critter Gitter
"That's a Screamer"