Visser 2nd gen tear down/ six month review

Rate this topic

Benfromnbx

3 hours ago, Goldy said:

Very nice write up from a gear head.  Nice job and welcome. 

I didn’t catch what you greased the main gear with when you put it back together?   Have you considered running it with motor oil?  

cc: @ged @FishingmaniYaks

Krytox 215 for the gear.  I have used slide way oils and gear oils before for some vs reels.  I won’t use it in anything that has a plastic spring type AR bearing or a slow speed oscillation system.  They are pretty sensitive (clutches can slip/heavy feeling) to oils especially when cold.  I like motorex supergliss 68 and 32 for summer and winter.  

2 hours ago, 70bbvette said:

My question is how waterproof are they when reeled underwater ?I really want this reel to succeed.So much lighter than the other waterproof reels

I put both reels in a bucket of fresh water overnight before I originally tore them down, and gave them both a few turns while submerged and didn’t se any water in the body or the drag.  If I were using them in the surf I would put either tef-gel or silicone under the side cover and the side cover screws.  The side cover has a complex shape to it and would be very tough to seal.  A little help between the cover/body and the bodyscrew heads would be a good idea. I’m sure it would also voice the warranty.  

2 hours ago, Benfromnbx said:

Krytox 215 for the gear.  I have used slide way oils and gear oils before for some vs reels.  I won’t use it in anything that has a plastic spring type AR bearing or a slow speed oscillation system.  They are pretty sensitive (clutches can slip/heavy feeling) to oils especially when cold.  I like motorex supergliss 68 and 32 for summer and winter.  

Good info.

Also, noticed that you fished mostly from the yak.  Was this dunked at all in the Salt?  Just curious?   I see you did a submerge in freshwater which is great.  

Curious as to why you think silicone the side plate

2 hours ago, Benfromnbx said:

I've used a few krytox greases.  (215 and 227)

For use in fishing reels, I found it didn't functin well.  It doesn't play well with corrosion X, or TSI oils which I use most often.

I've read all the mfr claims...and can't say I've seen it function real world in fishing reels.

I've even coated items that see frequent exposure and it didn't protect like I'd hoped.

Same can be said of the tef gel...feels like it'd protect really well...now it sits next to the others on the  "loob shelf of woe"

where remnants of unused loobs sit unused, and forgotten. 

Just tossing this out there.

Since your pretty techy. 

Try mixing tungsten disulfide with aquashield marine grease.

I've sent a few batches to my service centers...and since they've started using it.  None had a reel come back with gear wear issues.

It's all that I use in all my reels no matter the gear material/combo.

And it plays well with corrosion x so you can play with the mix and run it on levelwinds and oscillation gears without gumming up anything.  

Stays put on gears nicely.

"Panacheless is no way to go through life"

Tims

57 mins ago, scoobydoo said:

I've used a few krytox greases.  (215 and 227)

For use in fishing reels, I found it didn't functin well.  It doesn't play well with corrosion X, or TSI oils which I use most often.

I've read all the mfr claims...and can't say I've seen it function real world in fishing reels.

I've even coated items that see frequent exposure and it didn't protect like I'd hoped.

Same can be said of the tef gel...feels like it'd protect really well...now it sits next to the others on the  "loob shelf of woe"

where remnants of unused loobs sit unused, and forgotten. 

Just tossing this out there.

Since your pretty techy. 

Try mixing tungsten disulfide with aquashield marine grease.

I've sent a few batches to my service centers...and since they've started using it.  None had a reel come back with gear wear issues.

It's all that I use in all my reels no matter the gear material/combo.

And it plays well with corrosion x so you can play with the mix and run it on levelwinds and oscillation gears without gumming up anything.  

Stays put on gears nicely.

Scoobs, I know @LB runs oil.. How come you don't run oil?  Just curious

12 mins ago, Goldy said:

Scoobs, I know @LB runs oil.. How come you don't run oil?  Just curious

Have you tried oil? A few years back, all the rage was putting Royal Purple gear oil in ZB reels. I converted four reels to the Royal Purple. One was mine, one my brothers and the other two was for a close friend. They all ended up leaking small amounts of the oil. I converted them back to the red ZB grease and no one had any issues. It sounded good in theory, but it just didn't pan out in my experience.