Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
big country

Most difficult skill to achieve with fishing???

Rate this topic

80 posts in this topic

There are many skills necessary, if you think about it, to be able to go fishing. everything from tying knots, to how to rig bait to how to clean your reels all the way down to what shocks are best for your SUV on the beach. But, there is one skill, IMO, that can really separate the guys who can ALWASYS catch and the guys who can catch when its easy.

that skill is READING AN OPEN BEACH. Everyone can go to a Jetty, or a bridge, or a point or lighthouse, etc. and figure out where they think the fish might be. you can see rips, you can see structure and you cast to it. now, take a walk on an open beach on an incoming tide and try to figure out where to fish. Its a tuff thing. Im sure that weve all just started blind casting and catching. but the guys who can peer down the beach, notice little undulations, see breaks in outer bars, understand water movement, and where bait might be, see how waves start breaking differently when the water is coming in, all of that plus other things, those are the guys who have achieved that skill. Its beautfil to see. To have someone who knows point it out to you is incredible. It opens up an entire new mind set when fishing. youll find yourself thinking more on the beach. very rarely will you fish right by the get on, cause youll see a better spot, one with increase risks of catching a good fish.

what does everyone else think? what else do you think is a very difficult skill to acquire while fishing?

BC

great question... I would pose that reading the beach is second...

The first is predicting patterns to know what structure to look for when reading the beach...

To oversimplify, it does you know good to be able to read the beach and locate an "ideal" point if the current wind/weather/seasonal situation would dictate that the fish would be on a different type structure....

not sure i said that well... bottom line..

#1 putting together the "pattern" that significantly increases your odds at catching...

#2 reading the beach and finding a likely spot that will take advantage of that pattern...

or even more simply...

#1 - knowing what kinda place the fish will be in today...

#2 finding a place that has those characteristics.

I think the most difficult skill to achieve is self control. Dealing with clueless, inconsiderate, low-life scum when trying to relax and fish takes the most out of you. I am finding less and less spots to get a break. I have even gone as far as to fish more remote and inaccessable spots for solitudeand find them filled up by scum. The temptation to clear the beach with a street sweeper is very strong.

Jim

Knowing where to fish, when. If I second guessed myself any more about where to fish, my head would explode.

If the features on the beach are too subtle to read, find a new beach. smile.gif

I think learning how the wind and tide play on a specific spot is the key. And the only way to get this knowledge is to take photographs of the vehicles that parked in certian locations at certain times. Digital cameras rule!!

The most difficult skill of all is being able to lie like a rug to all your buddies after you find a bunch of good fish.

Q: How'd you do last night?

A: Fished hard, really burned myself out.

Truth: Crushed them on eels for the entire tide, nothing under fifteen pounds, three over twenty.

Once you can pull this move off out in front of the local coffee stop or bait and tackle you have become a seasoned surf angler.

Finding Large in N. Jersey off the sand. (off concrete, steel and asphalt not included)

Little fish are easy it's the big girls I can't ever find.

KOQ....(Hall Passes from the wife) you hit the nail on the head. Takes perseverance...except don't try it on Mother's day! Almost got a quick kick to the n**z last year for that one. biggrin.gificon14.gif