Ice Fishing? Is it going to happen this year?

Rate this topic

z-man

10 hours ago, mikez2 said:

Well it looks like we tracked down some ice a reasonable distance north. Now I'm getting the rare treat of having 3 of my boys all out at once tomorrow. 

Looking forward to hanging with them and having some venison stew. Expect lots of flags and burning through my painstakingly trapped shiners on foot long pickerel. 

The bright side of the warmth is the edges went out on my bait pond and the trap is back out.

guys from work have been going up to Maine on weekends..

they showed me pics of some monsta largemouth bass........

1 ft of ice, min.

58 mins ago, unskunk said:

guys from work have been going up to Maine on weekends..

they showed me pics of some monsta largemouth bass........

1 ft of ice, min.

Maine has so much potential for early ice.

It just isn't close enough for the kind of day trips I prefer for ice fishing. 

We found ice in the Manchester area which is a reasonable drive for a day trip and close to where two of my boys live.

I would prefer to target better quality fish and it's gonna hurt to burn a bunch of shiners on little pickerel, but, it's going to be a beautiful day, I'll be out with my crew, and we will definitely be chasing flags, so...

On 12/27/2022 at 6:18 PM, R.R. Bridge Fisher said:

Was just going to say this...

No way is it safe around Central MA. 

When I moved to Webster in 2003, we didn't have these warm days like we have now.  It's going to be in the 40s-50s through next week. I usually felt that it was pretty safe until about 7-8 years ago.  A few years ago I posted about a couple of guys getting pulled out after breaking through on Webster Lake on one of those spotty years where it fluctuated between warm and cold stretches. A senior  member responded that in his day that he drove his truck out from Water Front Mary's no problem like  I was a wuss for reporting that 2 guys went through the ice.  I remember some guys laying a ladder down to get out to thicker ice near the end of the ice season. 

1 min ago, bumknee said:

When I moved to Webster in 2003, we didn't have these warm days like we have now.  It's going to be in the 40s-50s through next week. I usually felt that it was pretty safe until about 7-8 years ago.  A few years ago I posted about a couple of guys getting pulled out after breaking through on Webster Lake on one of those spotty years where it fluctuated between warm and cold stretches. A senior  member responded that in his day that he drove his truck out from Water Front Mary's no problem like  I was a wuss for reporting that 2 guys went through the ice.  I remember some guys laying a ladder down to get out to thicker ice near the end of the ice season. 

I'm next town over(Oxford)

I fished webster lake a lot last winter. 

It's tough to get shinners now that the place in webster closed. 

I was going to her when she sold out of her house. 

troll #122  <*)))<

1 min ago, bumknee said:

There is a guy selling shiners on Sholfield Ave in  Dudley. I  think I misspelled the street name.  Last year I had an aging black lab that passed in March. Now I have 7 month old black lab puppy that I wouldn't trust yet if it was safe ice. 

Thanks I'll look into it in February when there's safe ice... lol

troll #122  <*)))<

Just now, bumknee said:

He is in house on the right side heading towards Thompson just past Leon's Pizza with a sign out front if he's still selling shiners. The gun store on Gore Road used to sell shiners. They sold me my auger. 

Also Runnings . I bought some there in the fall when I fished the 'Chu.

They were lively 

troll #122  <*)))<

2 hours ago, R.R. Bridge Fisher said:

Also Runnings . I bought some there in the fall when I fished the 'Chu.

They were lively 

What's going on with the shop on Thompson Road? Construction and tearing up the lawn. Last I knew, the son was selling bait after their mother passed. I always liked her, but she used to say that some customers were really rude to her.

11 mins ago, bumknee said:

What's going on with the shop on Thompson Road? Construction and tearing up the lawn. Last I knew, the son was selling bait after their mother passed. I always liked her, but she used to say that some customers were really rude to her.

I always liked her as well.she was always very nice to my kids when I went in for shinners. I used to go when it was the old place outta her house. 

I heard the grandson closed it up so I'm assuming it sold. 

I did hear many were rude to her..

Her shinners were the best around by far....

troll #122  <*)))<

3 hours ago, bumknee said:

When I moved to Webster in 2003, we didn't have these warm days like we have now.  It's going to be in the 40s-50s through next week. I usually felt that it was pretty safe until about 7-8 years ago.  A few years ago I posted about a couple of guys getting pulled out after breaking through on Webster Lake on one of those spotty years where it fluctuated between warm and cold stretches. A senior  member responded that in his day that he drove his truck out from Water Front Mary's no problem like  I was a wuss for reporting that 2 guys went through the ice.

That was me! Waterfront Mary's was one of my favorite places.   It was a great first ice place.  

Plus, is was a nice starting point to several other places on the lake that had limited, or no shore access.  Was really cool arriving there in the pre dawn, and driving all the way to the south end of the lake, or to Indian Ranch on the other end.  Setting up my tilts, and sitting in my truck listening to 8 tracks.:cool:

The Sultan of Sluggo

6 hours ago, bob_G said:

That was me! Waterfront Mary's was one of my favorite places.   It was a great first ice place.  

Plus, is was a nice starting point to several other places on the lake that had limited, or no shore access.  Was really cool arriving there in the pre dawn, and driving all the way to the south end of the lake, or to Indian Ranch on the other end.  Setting up my tilts, and sitting in my truck listening to 8 tracks.:cool:

Every year early ice a really big fish comes from there.

troll #122  <*)))<