What Knife Sharpener for gift?

Rate this topic

jjdbike

Hello all,

Id like to get my son & daughter in law some type of knife sharpening system for Christmas. They have a set of Global knives, so the angle of the blade is different from some others. Up till now they’ve sent them out for professional sharpening. They wind up not doing enough and their knives always seem to be dull.

What do you recommend? Is there an electric knife sharpener that’s recommend, or should I just get them some type of steel and a couple stones? My guess is they would be intimidated by the stones and there is a learning curve. Perhaps a ceramic rod & a steel / diamond rod?

Hoping for sone good advice here.

Thanks in advance,

JD

Chef's Choice Model 4643 Pronto Pro AngleSelect 3-stage Diamond Knife Sharpener $60. works well for a non-power option

Chef’s Choice Trizor 15XV Professional Electric Knife Sharpener for Kitchen Knives with Diamond Abrasives and Precision Angle Guides, 75db, 3 Slots, Gray - $160 for a great power option.

Doing it by hand can be great, but you can ruin a knife in a heartbeat.  the above choices essentially eliminate the error possibility and work great.  my wife loves the simplicity of the 4643 as a quick option.  if we need more serious attention, i use the trizor.

Edited by srm413

Look at the ceramic wheel sharpeners from global.  Think there are several with 2 and 3 stage versions available.  Not sure what else is around for that 10-15 degree edge.  Might still want to send them out periodically but think the wheel type should work for maintenance. 

"I have ... put a lump of ice into an equal quantity of water ...  if a little sea salt be added to the water we shall produce a fluid sensibly colder than the ice was in the beginning, which has appeared a curious and puzzling thing to those unacquainted with the general fact."- Joseph Black

Jim.... My wife is now wrapping (at this minute) a knife sharpener that we bought for my Son for Xmas... It is a Spyderco Tri-Angle Sharpmaker... https://www.spyderco.com/catalog/details/204MF/Tri-Angle-Sharpmaker-reg-/7 .. I have had one for years, and it is easy to use and works well... I asked if he wanted an electric one, and he said no.... So this made it pretty simple... https://www.amazon.com/Spyderco-Tri-Angle-Sharpmaker-Sharpener-204MF/dp/B000Q9C4AE

Butch

On 12/17/2022 at 6:43 AM, JimW said:

Look at the ceramic wheel sharpeners from global.  Think there are several with 2 and 3 stage versions available.  Not sure what else is around for that 10-15 degree edge.  Might still want to send them out periodically but think the wheel type should work for maintenance. 

Yes!

Excellent idea!

I’ve used them and they work well for Global’s edge angle.

20 hours ago, Midnightpass said:

Jim.... My wife is now wrapping (at this minute) a knife sharpener that we bought for my Son for Xmas... It is a Spyderco Tri-Angle Sharpmaker... https://www.spyderco.com/catalog/details/204MF/Tri-Angle-Sharpmaker-reg-/7 .. I have had one for years, and it is easy to use and works well... I asked if he wanted an electric one, and he said no.... So this made it pretty simple... https://www.amazon.com/Spyderco-Tri-Angle-Sharpmaker-Sharpener-204MF/dp/B000Q9C4AE

Butch

Thanks Butch! I’ll check it out.

I know Spiderco is a trusted name in knives. 
JD

If they have high quality knives they may want to get a wet wheel sharpener. Small ones are for shop tools and have a leather strop for finishing the edge to razor sharp. Like Bass 11 said too much heat can ruin fine knives so it may be worth investing in a real sharpener. Cost for small one is just above 200.00. 

• 1 month later...
On 12/23/2022 at 11:35 AM, bass11 said:

I kinda cringe when people speak of electric sharpeners as there are many that can damage a blade in a heart beat.  Still, if you must, the Work Sharp may be the best option.

My chefs choice just ruins my knives, dont use it anymore. I have very nice diamond stones but i am a spaz when it comes to sharpening knives.  Getring better at it though but i still suck.  I have the tri hone steel as well which works the best for me so far.

I'll BE PULLING ON MY ROD - TILL THEY LAY ME IN SOD!!!!!

• 1 month later...
On 2/14/2023 at 10:46 PM, Baccigalup said:

My chefs choice just ruins my knives, dont use it anymore. I have very nice diamond stones but i am a spaz when it comes to sharpening knives.  Getring better at it though but i still suck.  I have the tri hone steel as well which works the best for me so far.

This post is me exactly.  I recently bought a 30 dollar steel to replace my ceramic one and it also works well. Tri hone is still my fav.

I'll BE PULLING ON MY ROD - TILL THEY LAY ME IN SOD!!!!!

• 2 months later...

The only power sharpener that I'll let near my knives is the Chefs Choice, even then not my vintage Sabatiers - only hand sharpening for them.

I just wanta play everyday despite small nagging injuries --

and go home to a woman who appreciates how full of crap I truly am. ~ Crash Davis

Social Distancing since 1962

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/16/2022 at 3:12 PM, srm413 said:

Chef's Choice Model 4643 Pronto Pro AngleSelect 3-stage Diamond Knife Sharpener $60. works well for a non-power option

Chef’s Choice Trizor 15XV Professional Electric Knife Sharpener for Kitchen Knives with Diamond Abrasives and Precision Angle Guides, 75db, 3 Slots, Gray - $160 for a great power option.

Doing it by hand can be great, but you can ruin a knife in a heartbeat.  the above choices essentially eliminate the error possibility and work great.  my wife loves the simplicity of the 4643 as a quick option.  if we need more serious attention, i use the trizor.

I just got the trizor and love it.