horsefly

Rod for poppers

Rate this topic

17 posts in this topic

Never really fished poppers much due to the fact I had a hard time with them. Starting to try them again and was wondering what action rod guys who fish them a lot prefer. I know it's not the rod but the guy holding it but are you better with a slower action rod. What's the going opinion? Thanks

Posted (edited)

Sorry, my first reply was based on you throwing poppers on spinning rods.  Didn't see that the post was in the FF section.

I agree with Thaistick on this one..

Edited by 27conch

Depends on the popper some are more wind resistant than others  big popper will cast easier with a fast rod and short stout leader also you don't want to cast a GT popper fly on a 8wt if you know what I'm saying. 

Mostly throwing on a 9 or 10 wt. Bangers and cupped faced poppers. For some reason I have a harder time with Bangers, maybe due to lighter weight. Don't really know if that makes sense. 

Just my opinion.

Most rods are moderate fast or fast action these days.  I would spend more time thinking about the fly line.  I find that a general all purpose WF line or triangle taper line is not going to do the job as well as a Rio outbound short taper.  

Posted (edited)

9 or 10wt should be able to handle a banger the reality is there are limits to it especially when wind is involved,you not going to throw it as far as a smaller / streamline fly ,one thing I forgot to mention is a tight loop and highline speed.

17 mins ago, horsefly said:

Mostly throwing on a 9 or 10 wt. Bangers and cupped faced poppers. For some reason I have a harder time with Bangers, maybe due to lighter weight. Don't really know if that makes sense. 

Edited by thaistick

3 hours ago, horsefly said:

As stiff a rod as I can muster;current fav is an 8' CTS 9wt w/ an 11wt butt.I want the rod to respond to every twitch and a soft rod soaks up a lot of action intended for the fly.I throw 6-10" flies w/ 5/8-3/4" faces on 4/0-7/0 hooks.An angled face makes more splash than flat or cupped (the latter is also inclined to dive under instead of pop) and is significantly easier than a flat or cup to cast.

big poppers20181030_172953.jpg

On 12/9/2022 at 9:01 AM, horsefly said:

Never really fished poppers much due to the fact I had a hard time with them. Starting to try them again and was wondering what action rod guys who fish them a lot prefer. I know it's not the rod but the guy holding it but are you better with a slower action rod. What's the going opinion? Thanks

Already an old thread, but my 2 cents add to the discussion would be:  

It's not about the fly rod so much as it is the fly line you choose & how that line behaves with a chosen fly rod.

Example: I have an old Sage RPL+ 10ft / 10wt fly rod. It's a manly beast of a fly rod. The fly rod is workable with 11wt WF fly line. Over time as I have tried out & used different fly lines on that fast 10wt Sage ... I came upon RIO Musky Fly line which has a relatively short 30 foot Triangle Taper type head. The RIO Musky 11wt. WF Floating line head weighs 450 grains. It loads the 10ft RPL+ 10wt fly rod with little effort and casts big flies & poppers as well or better than can be expected.

So depending on the fly rod used ... casting big bug poppers on a lake or large saltwater flies in a riptide ... ease of use depends as much on the fly line as it does with the rod.

I am using a Beulah Opal 10 wt. (original version). Beulah states on their website to use a 9wt. Rio Short which I tried, and it just felt not so good. So, I am going to try a Wulf TT floating 10wt., which I have, and see if it feels better. Also, may try the Cortland Short 10. wt. Experimenting sometimes is fun. Thanks

1 hour ago, horsefly said:

I am using a Beulah Opal 10 wt. (original version). Beulah states on their website to use a 9wt. Rio Short which I tried, and it just felt not so good. So, I am going to try a Wulf TT floating 10wt., which I have, and see if it feels better. Also, may try the Cortland Short 10. wt. Experimenting sometimes is fun. Thanks

I do prefer the Wulff Triangular Taper lines over all others ... but in their floating lines, I really like the Bass taper version in WF Floating. It's a little shorter with perhaps higher grain weight than the saltwater floating version.

I am a surf fly rodder, I walk and carry my gear with no boat or beach buggy. I only carry one 8wgt or 7wgt rod with intermediate line and it does it all from Clousers to poppers so the answer is "whatever you fish put on a popper and learn how it works for you.

Try a skagit line on your SH rod. It will turn over a chicken. I use a 450 grain head on a sage SP 9 wt.    money. 

Buddy gave the idea, and i can confirm it works. 

I use an old sage RPLXi 9wt 2 piece for stripers most of the time and I make my own poppers.

WFF10wt SA line for poppers and an old SA 350 grain streamer express for getting down.

Couple poppers, the pic with 2 poppers the faces are cut off set so when stripped they go to the side some.

PXL_20221030_060613935.jpg

PXL_20220728_161157944.jpg