Are smaller Van Staal reels the new trend ??

Rate this topic

bassonator007

On 12/12/2022 at 0:39 AM, cbchurch said:

I always wanted to hook and land a big (200 pound plus) tuna with my VS 150, or maybe even a 704/706 (same drag) but never got to it......  I'm sure it would work.....

Steve T

This would suck for anyone you’re fishing with, and probably wouldn’t work out anyway 

C&R

My recent upgrade of adding the VSB extended reel foot, the longer handle arm, hub  and power knob makes my VSX 150 balance much better on my 11’ super thin and light Century SME.  The upgrades make the VS150 feel like a different reel versus the stock version.

Hobie Power Skiff Fisherman

Hobie Revolution 13

1 hour ago, Bluetaildragger said:

This would suck for anyone you’re fishing with, and probably wouldn’t work out anyway 

why? Same drag as my VS 275, and I fight fish with the rod, and not the reel..... I don't see the problem. I am glad that the 5 or 6 200 pound bluefin I've gotten with the VS 275 and plugs were no bigger.....

Steve T

profile pic Penn Squidder, Lami 01166, Atom 40. 1975 or so. My go to for a couple of years when I was a kid.....

Not sure about the old VSs but my VSX150 doesn’t put out anywhere near the drag pressure of my old VSX200.  That’s why the new power drag knob was such a godsend for the VSX100/150s as it gives you the ability to really crank down the drag.  

I’d think a good sized Albie would spool a 150 let alone a tuna!

Hobie Power Skiff Fisherman

Hobie Revolution 13

On 12/8/2022 at 0:42 PM, surfrat59 said:

An 11ft Century is lighter than an 11ft Lami , same for the newer breed of 9 and 10 footers, only seems natural to take advantage of the weight savings and balance accordingly. With the advancements in guide layout technology and braided lines large diameter spool reels only offer the advantage of quicker retrieve rate, casting distance no longer an issue for the smaller reels.

this is why i have a VSX150 on my 11' Century SME.  Mind you....i have it loaded with Fireline Crystal 8 Carrier 14 lb. test (which has a breaking strength of 40 lbs. or so).  Needless to say, i was able to fit 2 spools of 300 yards plus backing.  So i had plenty of line capacity on a light reel paired on a light rod.  :th:

It's just a matter of preference. Like many said, there's a need to consider how the rod/reel balance, whether you are fishing heavy or lighter baits and plugs and where you are fishing. For example, if you are fishing and manuevering larger fish from boulder fields, you probably want something heavier. On the other hand, if you are fishing from a beach without obstructions, you can get away with lighter gear. I've done both and lighter is more fun, but not always as effective depending on the circumstances.

Edited by fcap60

On 12/14/2022 at 11:53 PM, yogiiiboy said:

this is why i have a VSX150 on my 11' Century SME.  Mind you....i have it loaded with Fireline Crystal 8 Carrier 14 lb. test (which has a breaking strength of 40 lbs. or so).  Needless to say, i was able to fit 2 spools of 300 yards plus backing.  So i had plenty of line capacity on a light reel paired on a light rod.  :th:

Just curious why you dont increase your backing and use 300 yards of main line ? 600 yards is a waste of money 

On 12/14/2022 at 5:00 PM, Water Dog said:

Not sure about the old VSs but my VSX150 doesn’t put out anywhere near the drag pressure of my old VSX200.  That’s why the new power drag knob was such a godsend for the VSX100/150s as it gives you the ability to really crank down the drag.  

I’d think a good sized Albie would spool a 150 let alone a tuna!

I used my 150 VSX while fishing for larger Floridian albies and was never close to being spooled. Also use it occasionally here in New England for our typical size albies with no real issues...although I will add that when in unweighted albie snax mode, I prefer my shimano spinners due to line management advantages 

just to add, I picked up a VR50 just in time for this past albie season, and it handled these albies just fine

2 hours ago, shark lobster said:

Just curious why you dont increase your backing and use 300 yards of main line ? 600 yards is a waste of money 

That would have been my first choice but I had found a deal months ago that enabled me to purchase 2 spools of line at a great price.

use to go into a shop and they'd fill the spool with braid and it would be $$$$ for line that never got used......fill the spool with appropriate backing be it mono or whatever you choose......no one needs 400  yards of high priced braided line unless you plan on stripping and reversing it at some point.

"Law enforcement’ is not something sovereign citizens seize from police officers. It is a societal function that citizens delegate to civil police.

In so doing, we do not abdicate our own sovereignty, nor our duties as citizens. Ultimate responsibility is still ours. When those we hire as our “Protectors” are either unwilling or unable to perform that function at the critical moment, there is no law, nor standard, that says we cannot perform it for ourselves"........ John Farnam.

"Gird Your Loins"

1 hour ago, Mr. Bigdeal said:

use to go into a shop and they'd fill the spool with braid and it would be $$$$ for line that never got used......fill the spool with appropriate backing be it mono or whatever you choose......no one needs 400  yards of high priced braided line unless you plan on stripping and reversing it at some point.

I do this with all my lines  :th:

Edited by yogiiiboy

On 12/14/2022 at 0:59 PM, Bluetaildragger said:

My first internet post back in 07 was of of a massive thresher on the beach on a vsb150g when they first came out.

Jogging up and down the beach in the dark for two and a half hours until the belly touched the sand and I couldn't move it.

"Panacheless is no way to go through life"

Tims

1 hour ago, scoobydoo said:

My first internet post back in 07 was of of a massive thresher on the beach on a vsb150g when they first came out.

Jogging up and down the beach in the dark for two and a half hours until the belly touched the sand and I couldn't move it.

I guess my point is that you’d be fighting fish for longer than anyone else because you wanted to use your vs150, which means less fishing time for me and it would get old quick haha

C&R