codfish

fishing lure project for 2023

Rate this topic

65 posts in this topic

Posted (edited)

Have a few. 

Get set up for powdercoating home cast crippled herrings & spoons

Make a mold for 1/2-3/4oz fixed hook swimming eel tins. 

Find a good non toxic alloy for casting.  

Edited by PSeggs

12 hours ago, PSeggs said:

Have a few. 

Get set up for powdercoating home cast crippled herrings & spoons

Make a mold for 1/2-3/4oz fixed hook swimming eel tins. 

Find a good non toxic alloy for casting.  

How about tin???

1 hour ago, codfish said:

How about tin???

Have u seen the price. 

I've been buyin english pewter from thrift shops lately.  From what I read it's about 90% tin. 

I messed with bismuth last year and got good casts when alloyed with tin. But very brittle.  Hit a rock or a piling on a sharp cast and the spoon would shatter.    

20 hours ago, PSeggs said:

Have u seen the price. 

I've been buyin english pewter from thrift shops lately.  From what I read it's about 90% tin. 

I messed with bismuth last year and got good casts when alloyed with tin. But very brittle.  Hit a rock or a piling on a sharp cast and the spoon would shatter.    

"I've been buyin english pewter from thrift shops lately."  Very cool:th: have you tried making any jigs yet with pewter??

Posted (edited)

1 hour ago, codfish said:

"I've been buyin english pewter from thrift shops lately."  Very cool:th: have you tried making any jigs yet with pewter??

Not yet. My workbench is a complete disaster atm.   So it won't be for a bit.  Till I get everything sorted away.  But I've used it to alloy bullet material before. 

The pieces I've gotten have held their shine.  The leaded pewter has a dullish blue hue to it.  Ebay is selling english pewter blocks for around $20 lb. If your scrounging shops you can buy it for pennies on the dollar.    I scored a huge 3lb serving tray for $4. And lots of mugs for a buck or two. 

The bismuth/tin I was trying last year was really nice to cast.  Poured great almost zero fumes or smoke. Just brittle.  And I ran out of tin. So I'm hopin I can combine the alloy thats left with the pewter and get a good working mix. If it stays shiny that's a bonus but painting is probably what I'm going to do. 

The lead I have will be reserved for outdoor casting until I get a better vent setup or whole new place to cast. 

Edited by PSeggs

On 12/9/2022 at 10:14 AM, PSeggs said:

Have u seen the price. 

I told my wife about your Idea, very cool:th: I have an idea some SOL members will follow your treasures, again thanks for sharing:):)

Posted (edited)

6 mins ago, codfish said:

I told my wife about your Idea, very cool:th: I have an idea some SOL members will follow your treasures, again thanks for sharing:):)

I'm always looking for ways to save $$ .   sure block tin is best. But not at $35/lb. 

Now if I can just find some molds for tins (lures)......

Edited by PSeggs

Posted (edited)

I used to rig all of my sluggos like this. Moved to a single hook a couple of years ago. Rarely caught a fish on the rear hook, and less likely to get a hook in the hand now. Pretty much same way I rigged my eels, with a few zip ties added. Now, with little time and/or patience, my winter projects consist of loading redfins and swapping out hardware...

Edited by HanoverStriper

13 hours ago, HanoverStriper said:

I used to rig all of my sluggos like this. Moved to a single hook a couple of years ago. Rarely caught a fish on the rear hook, and less likely to get a hook in the hand now. Pretty much same way I rigged my eels, with a few zip ties added. Now, with little time and/or patience, my winter projects consist of loading redfins and swapping out hardware...

What size hook??

Posted (edited)

On 12/9/2022 at 10:14 AM, PSeggs said:

Have u seen the price. 

Try adding some lead to the bismuth that will soften it up some.

l looked up good pewter. High Quality Pewter - Alloy R98 Pewter Casting Ingot (Tin 98%, Bismuth 1.5%, Copper .50%) Thats great for making tins.

ln the 90 l ran an automotive parts remanufacturing plant in South Plainfield NJ and we went through a lot of lead, l bought buy the rolls and bars to do re-soldering, bars 70/30 or 30/70 leading number would be tin, trailing number lead, l thinking it was 70/30 l made tin and bucktail head during lunchtime we always keep 200 lbs on hand n the plant, now 30 years later the tins look like l just poured them, the unused ones here are some of the tins molds l made, no tins are over an 1oz because of all the tin that is in them. all swinging hooks. l should have taken a 50# box of 70/30 when the plant closed up.

What is left from back then, mid-1990s still shinning 

0223172022.jpg.ebe8b4751ccc7a8d233e52055bfbe925.jpg

And Alum. molds l made in the machine shop.

DSC05071.JPG.a9ed45f998c4c90eef05ceb48b75e797.JPG

Edited by LB

1 hour ago, LB said:

Try adding some lead to the bismuth that will soften it up some.

l looked up good pewter. High Quality Pewter - Alloy R98 Pewter Casting Ingot (Tin 98%, Bismuth 1.5%, Copper .50%) Thats great for making tins.

ln the 90 l ran an automotive parts remanufacturing plant in South Plainfield NJ and we went through a lot of lead, l bought buy the rolls and bars to do re-soldering, bars 70/30 or 30/70 leading number would be tin, trailing number lead, l thinking it was 70/30 l made tin and bucktail head during lunchtime we always keep 200 lbs on hand n the plant, now 30 years later the tins look like l just poured them, the unused ones here are some of the tins molds l made, no tins are over an 1oz because of all the tin that is in them. all swinging hooks. l should have taken a 50# box of 70/30 when the plant closed up.

What is left from back then, mid-1990s still shinning 

0223172022.jpg.ebe8b4751ccc7a8d233e52055bfbe925.jpg

And Alum. molds l made in the machine shop.

DSC05071.JPG.a9ed45f998c4c90eef05ceb48b75e797.JPG

LB that's impressive:th: thanks for sharing:)