albacized

2/3rds of the 2018 Red Sox championship team now gone

Rate this topic

21 posts in this topic

Posted (edited)

Several years ago, Mookie Betts left the Sox to play for the Dodgers. Now Xander Bogaerrs skips off to the west coast (Padres) as well, signing an 11 year deal worth over $280 million...that leaves Devers as the lone holdover from the big three who were supposed to be the face of the Boston Red Sox for years to come...but on the flip side, I think Xander leaving Boston wasn’t much of  a surprise given that most of the media was talking about his departure from Boston pretty much all season

Edited by albacized

I thought the Sox would lock up the left side of the infield by signing Bogaerts and Devers long term.

Now it's become obvious that the Sox and Bloom are playing the cheap game.

I'm done with them.

Devers is getting a real indoctrination about what it's like playing for the Sox. He watched his best buddy get racked over the coals, and leave town. But tripled the money of the Sox initial offer.

Bogy's playing short in SD, with Manny Machado at third. Machado can opt out of his deal at the end of 2023.  Hmm, doesn't Boston also have a third baseman who becomes a free agent at the end of 2023?

Posted (edited)

Some of you old farts won't agree, but Baseball as a product sucks. 15 years of negative growth in fan base.

The big picture is

The sox are likely for sale, this makes perfect sense. sell the team without a bunch of paid cry baby Baseball players.

He'll sell is soccer team too, he's being priced out of the market by the Saudis there. sell it

Next buy the Commanders NFL team, build a new stadium, sign some players

Edited by iphish

1 hour ago, iphish said:

The sox are likely for sale, this makes perfect sense.

Not really.

Selling it now makes little sense.

Why would you sell the team with the economy about to hit the skids?

7 hours ago, albacized said:

Several years ago, Mookie Betts left the Sox to play for the Dodgers. Now Xander Bogaerrs skips off to the west coast (Padres) as well, signing an 11 year deal worth over $280 million...that leaves Devers as the lone holdover from the big three who were supposed to be the face of the Boston Red Sox for years to come

If the Sox kept Mookie, Xander and Devers, they'd be paying close to $1 billion for 3 players.

I love Xander and all he did to bring 2 championships to Boston. They can't afford to keep all their all stars. As long as Devers gets paid by the Sox, I'm ok with some other team being bogged down by an 11 year contract that Bogie won't live up to.

2 hours ago, iphish said:

Some of you old farts won't agree, but Baseball as a product sucks. 15 years of negative growth in fan base.

The big picture is

The sox are likely for sale, this makes perfect sense. sell the team without a bunch of paid cry baby Baseball players.

He'll sell is soccer team too, he's being priced out of the market by the Saudis there. sell it

Next buy the Commanders NFL team, build a new stadium, sign some players and call them the Redskins again.

FIFY

17 mins ago, Hook I said:

“ Carina “Come to the Bronx ! :laugh:

haaa.....you been trashin him all year....,

yankees suck.....

5 hours ago, Gotcow? said:

Not really.

Selling it now makes little sense.

Why would you sell the team with the economy about to hit the skids?

That makes no sense what you wrote. If the team is for sale, it's more attractive to a buyer who isn't locked into long-term ridiculous contracts. A buyer just like Henry did when he bought the Red Sox. Would prefer a flat clean slate in purchasing the team....... Tell me how wrong I am. 

Posted (edited)

Just now, iphish said:

That makes no sense what you wrote. If the team is for sale, it's more attractive to a buyer who isn't locked into long-term ridiculous contracts. A buyer just like Henry did when he bought the Red Sox. Would prefer a flat clean slate in purchasing the team....... Tell me how wrong I am. 

Who wants to buy a last place team that has basically no star power and a declining fan base during a recession with inflation where it is and still climbing?

Could end up with them being the East coast As

Edited by Gotcow?

5 hours ago, Gotcow? said:

Who wants to buy a last place team that has basically no star power and a declining fan base during a recession with inflation where it is and still climbing?

Could end up with them being the East coast As

Did John Henry buy the red sox when they were at the top? Did he buy the team when Fenway Park was in great shape and had plenty of amenities?  

Just simple yes or no answer

5 hours ago, iphish said:

Did John Henry buy the red sox when they were at the top? Did he buy the team when Fenway Park was in great shape and had plenty of amenities?  

Just simple yes or no answer

We have a difference of opinion.

Is the team for sale?

Just a simple yes or no answer.