Tsunami lures, quality question

Rate this topic

PSeggs

How is the quality on Tsunami brand lures?  Specifically hooks, rings & swivels.  

I like not having to worry about the little things.  

I saw these and they caught my eye. 

Tsunami Midwave jigTsunami-Midwave-with-Bucktail-Jig_1400x.jpg.fe823bdf1c35d8a6f08174815fc26a11.jpg

Simple inexpensive metals.  Stuff I can pass a few packages to my kids & nephews and not worry about them losing it.  

But if I gotta change out the hardware off the bat, then they aren't that inexpensive. 

I tried some cheap diamond jigs (Run-off or Hurricane) last year and snapped one in when it collided with a rock on a cast.   Looked like it was cast from the slag I scoop off my lead pot.   Dissapointed cause it had a real nice action for a diamond jig. 

Edited by PSeggs

Well, I have two of the silver ones pictured above. (Mainly because I couldn’t get DDs at the time I bought each one. These are cheap enough and snapper blues were supposedly around though I didn’t run into them last summer.)

The first one had a double bend on the leading edge - a strange design for a spoon. And test swimming it the thing had a tendency to completely rotate like a  FW trout spinner. Not what I expected or prefer. 

The second one is the same design as a DD. I made sure before paying at the local shop. 

The rings are okay. Not terrible.

The hooks remind me of the used to be ubiquitous Mustad stainless 3407/34007 or some reasonable knockoff. It’s an acceptable hook for the standard situation.  

42 mins ago, EricDice said:

Well, I have two of the silver ones pictured above. (Mainly because I couldn’t get DDs at the time I bought each one. These are cheap enough and snapper blues were supposedly around though I didn’t run into them last summer.)

The first one had a double bend on the leading edge - a strange design for a spoon. And test swimming it the thing had a tendency to completely rotate like a  FW trout spinner. Not what I expected or prefer. 

The second one is the same design as a DD. I made sure before paying at the local shop. 

The rings are okay. Not terrible.

The hooks remind me of the used to be ubiquitous Mustad stainless 3407/34007 or some reasonable knockoff. It’s an acceptable hook for the standard situation.  

So serviceable. Not horrible. Not great.  

At $4-5 bucks.  I'll take a whirl.   With 14 nieces & nephews plus my own.  I try to save $ anyway I can. 

Edited by PSeggs

3 mins ago, PSeggs said:

So serviceable. Not horrible. Not great.  

At $4-5 bucks.  I'll take a whirl.   With 14 nieces & nephews plus my own.  I try to save $ anyway I can. 

Exactly, if they are meant for bringing people into the sport or try it ou, it's perfect. Also good if blues are around. Otherwise, I try not to buy them, their wood plugs feel flimsy. 

I have the vocabulary of a well-educated sailor. 

1 hour ago, PSeggs said:

How is the quality on Tsunami brand lures?  Specifically hooks, rings & swivels.  

I like not having to worry about the little things.  

I saw these and they caught my eye. 

Tsunami Midwave jigTsunami-Midwave-with-Bucktail-Jig_1400x.jpg.fe823bdf1c35d8a6f08174815fc26a11.jpg

Simple inexpensive metals.  Stuff I can pass a few packages to my kids & nephews and not worry about them losing it.  

But if I gotta change out the hardware off the bat, then they aren't that inexpensive. 

I tried some cheap diamond jigs (Run-off or Hurricane) last year and snapped one in when it collided with a rock on a cast.   Looked like it was cast from the slag I scoop off my lead pot.   Dissapointed cause it had a real nice action for a diamond jig. 

They look nice:th:

41 mins ago, i_like_poppers said:

Exactly, if they are meant for bringing people into the sport or try it ou, it's perfect. Also good if blues are around. Otherwise, I try not to buy them, their wood plugs feel flimsy. 

Yeah. Somewhat disposable. Nothing I'll cry over when lost.   As much as I love them, they ain't getting my tin metals. 

I already cast smaller jigheads for em. Stick a paddle shad on em and turn em loose. 

Edited by PSeggs

4 hours ago, PSeggs said:

With 14 nieces & nephews plus my own.  I try to save $ anyway I can. 

I have a large Family and Christmas shopping was a nightmare...   Until I suggested to the Family that we try a White Elephant gift exchange.   Best thing ever and its a lot of fun...    You can also have a white elephant just for the kids depending on their age ...

15 hours ago, Jolly Green said:

I think that most lures regardless of the maker need hardware upgrades.

Super Strike is one of the only lure builders that I don't make any changes to the lures unless I'm upsizing a front hook.

Why take a chance on their hardware?

Bob

I get what your saying.  But if its "good enough" I'll roll with em.  

Just fishing with kids. 

I used to be a directly to Kastmaster guy.  Kid needs a lure? Blue/chrome Kastmaster. But they've gone waaaayyy downhill since getting bought out.  I can pull the split rings apart and straighten the hooks with minimal pressure.   And I HATE swappin out split rings on Kastmasters.  Cripples my hands up fast. 

Over the winter I'm going to try and powder coat the Crippled Herring & Casting spoons I cast.   So that's another option that's low cost.  

On another note, these Tsunami metals remind me of the old Acme Need-l-eel.  Which was the 1st metal I ever got (Kastmaster was No.2).   I had chrome & green prism.  Probably 3/4oz.  I'd cut a strip of squid and put it on the single hook.   I caught just about everything there is to catch (in Long Island Sound) on that.   Fast/slow top or bottom.  That thing got it done.  

But I like that these come in gold too.  

These just seem like something ready to go & easy to stuff in their pockets for vacation and what not.  

21 hours ago, Skunkoff said:

I have a couplenof those kastmaster style tsunamis.  I like the shape and action, but they'll rust pretty quickly.  I don't always take great care of my lures though.

Does any kid thou?:laugh:

I used to rinse my gear by leaving it in the rain 

Never tried em...tried and true older Kastmasters, Acme's and Charlie Graves last forever if you don't lose em. Point Jude makes a good assortment of quality tins. John Skinner raves about most of Tsunami's stuff...the poppers, metal lips, and sand eels. He claims the hardware on those is fine right out of the package.