Adventurer

Newbie Advice Needed

Rate this topic

25 posts in this topic

Im pulling my boat for the season this week but want to keep fishing.  I have never surf fished so can someone recommend the best rod/reel combo for $200 - $250?  From the boat I throw swim shads, buck tails and some plugs and I plan to do the same in the surf.  I am thinking something in the 9ft range with a 3/4-3 oz if that makes sense?  also some surf fishing etiquette tips would be great, I don't want to be the one to piss everyone off while i'm learning. Thanks in advance. 

What combos are you throwing on the boat?  And, are you targeting the same species?

I would think your reels would be adequate to continue fishing, maybe just a slightly longer rod. Where are you located?

For my spinning gear I use a 7ft MH st. Croix and a 3000 saltist back bay mostly and a few other similar combos.  I'm in NJ go out of barnegat Inlet. I was thinking a bit more line capacity, maybe a 5000 size reel?

3 hours ago, Adventurer said:

I have never surf fished so can someone recommend the best rod/reel combo for $200 - $250? 

My first question would be are you planning to use lures/plugs or bait/chunks?

Different set up for either one.

Unless you can find some quality gear in the BST here or elsewhere, which is quite possible, you may have to up your budget to get the combo you need. A 5-6000 size reel and a 9 ft rod are a good start, but new will run you $3-400. The season is near over, even down there soon, and the BST should have some decent gear showing up so keep your eyes open.

5 hours ago, fishless said:

Where are you located?

16 hours ago, Adventurer said:

For my spinning gear I use a 7ft MH st. Croix and a 3000 saltist back bay mostly and a few other similar combos.  I'm in NJ go out of barnegat Inlet. I was thinking a bit more line capacity, maybe a 5000 size reel?

Thanks for all the advice, at that price range it sounds like Tica or Tsunami and a Diawa BG or used gear so I'll shop around and keep an eye on the BST section.  Any particular model of tica better than others?  I saw a few tsunami recommendations.

First post here, hi SOL! With the budget given, I second the recommendation of the tsunami trophy 9’ paired with a daiwa bg. It would be an excellent starting setup with a few bucks left over for some braid of your choice. 

11 hours ago, FishinFreak said:

First post here, hi SOL! With the budget given, I second the recommendation of the tsunami trophy 9’ paired with a daiwa bg. It would be an excellent starting setup with a few bucks left over for some braid of your choice. 

Good Luck with it....

wb4.jpg.c3fd2be94c13d9334817eeb54a41690b.jpg

Posted (edited)

What side of the inlet?  I'm on the IBSP side out on the island.  I have a decent 10ft plugin rod you can try out....I'd let it go for cheap if you like it.  Feel free to message me if you're nearby.

Edited by Frede
didnt read the damn location...