Rewards credit card

Rate this topic

giant basshole

I have and use regular cards, but been going less cash with purchases and many now require c card like online purchases. Is it worth it to get a rewards card? Will be traveling more in the future, kids will both be off to college next year. So would be good for hotels and flying. What do you guys recommend? What should I stay away from? 
 I wouldn’t want anything with an annual fee, and always pay the balance ever month . 

BLM - Bass Lives Matter 

Race - human like everyone else

If you and your kids put enough money through your cards, business expenses too. It is worth it to pay the annual fee to get a top tier cards like amex plat/ gold, Chase sapphire... for the additional benefits that comes with the card. You'll get back what you paid for annual fee, many time over from perks, benefits and cashbacks.  Yes, always pay in full every time. 

I don't travel much at all but I run everything I can through a business rewards card I have from Bank of America.  My effective cash back is 2.63%.  I pay it in full every month.  Some months I put a lot through it, enough to buy a lot of fishing stuff.  The base rate is 1.5% and I get an extra 75 basis points for hitting cash deposit levels.

Most of my buddies run Amex platinum or similar.  I never understood the points system since I'm not staying in hotels or airline upgrades.  I'd rather just have the cash.

27 mins ago, hobobob said:

If you and your kids put enough money through your cards, business expenses too. It is worth it to pay the annual fee to get a top tier cards like amex plat/ gold, Chase sapphire... for the additional benefits that comes with the card. You'll get back what you paid for annual fee, many time over from perks, benefits and cashbacks.  Yes, always pay in full every time. 

Thanks , may be worth averaging , then calculating the benefits.

BLM - Bass Lives Matter 

Race - human like everyone else

I have been a USAA member for 30 years and was never a cc guy, but when I started seeing reward points add up ($400) at end of year, I worked it to my advantage.

All major purchases on cc

If no discount for cash, use cc

Pay balance full every month

Take family out to dinner Christmas Eve and use reward points to pay,,,, 

I am sure there are better cards, but get onboard w/ this

Ive been using Alaska Airlines Visa Card. $75 annual fee, 0% if paid in full. Built up enough miles to fly the wife to Anchorage for $20 In taxes. Also its a good airline with nice accommodations and a one time annual companion fee for $90 in the same class you travel.