RKG1

Need Help With Guide Layout 7'6"

Rate this topic

8 posts in this topic

Hello I am building a St Croix SCIV 7'6"  HF 3/4 - 3 oz rod for a boat rod in Mexico (roosters, snappers, jacks, etc).  Reel is Penn Slammer III 4500.  Spool diameter is 54mm.  30 - 40 lb braid.  casting and jigging. I need help locating the guides.  Fuji KW guides I have the full set from 30 thru 8 available.  Planning on using KW8's for runners.  Your help is appreciated. Thanks in advance.

KW: 30 25 20 12 8 (as many 8's as needed; probably 3 or 4)

Try KW30 at 550mm from spool then 270mm 230mm 190mm and 170mm to the 25 20 12 and 1st 8

I would place the KW30 around 24" from the spool face , bullzeye the reducers, tape on runners and test cast.   It will probably cast better with the stripper further out but if your gonna fight fish vertically I'd want to utilize as much power from down towards the seat as possible.  

Thanks for the responses.  ZA, a 4 guide reduction train and no skipping any guide sizes?  That is contrary to what you usually recommend, no?  I can do it no problem, I just want to make sure I understand what you meant.

Look at the guide heights, no other Fuji guide sey drops the height of the guides faster than the KW, a 20 mm almost half the height of a 30 mm just doesn't usually happen.

I built an almost identical rod a few months ago on a SCII blank for throwing metals to albies and settled on KW30, KW20, KW10, KB7, then KT6s out to the tip (I think 5 of them).  Stripper was 23 from the spool face and subsequent spacing was approximately 11", 7.5", 5", then 4.5" out ot the tip.  Reel was a Penn Clash II 4k high speed.  I think double-foots as runners are overkill, and the blank will be a lot more crisp and responsive without the added weight, but that's just me.

Posted (edited)

14 hours ago, RKG1 said:

Thanks for the responses.  ZA, a 4 guide reduction train and no skipping any guide sizes?  That is contrary to what you usually recommend, no?  I can do it no problem, I just want to make sure I understand what you meant.

I dont drop for KW reduction trains Tbush' comments regarding height are the reason why; I have attached KW groups as suggested; I prefer a KW12 over a KW10 after a KW20.

I would not go KW30J KW20, but try and see

KW30L to KW20? No prob, but not something I do often.

RV30 to KW20 is super on a 13'+ 4-8oz for fixed spool and multiplier use though...

You can try the stripper at 24", but its a short rod and the spool is not big; I doubt you will generate the line speed that will create any over run at the stripper; tape and test.

SF's would be nice, but when I read "boat rod in Mexico" I can foresee rough handling being in the rod's future; DF's cope better with being dragged around and pulled out of rod holders; vertical or under gunwhales.

Fuji KW Groups 08.jpeg

Fuji KW Groups 07.jpeg

Fuji KW Groups 06.jpeg

Fuji KW Groups 05.jpeg

Fuji KW Groups 04.jpeg

Fuji KW Groups 03.jpeg

Fuji KW Groups 02.jpeg

Fuji KW Groups 01.jpeg

Edited by ZAFisher

The 30L , 20 that ZA mentions is a goo option for a rod like this. you dont really need the 30 highframe for this build. if you do go with it 30 highframe the 30,25,20 is the way to go. But 30L, 20, 12, 8's is good option here for a rod like this and how I would build this rod. if you stick to 30lb i would even test cast it with a 25 stripper configuration. you will probably get a little line slap but test cast it and see it it actually matters. its not a surf rod you wont be generating the same velocity