bhorsley

Harkers/Cape Lookout late season report

Rate this topic

10 posts in this topic

Posted (edited)

Solid report and I appreciate seeing what you’re doing down there, Brian. 

You’ve been at this awhile I think(?), do you feel you’ve seen a decline of Albies with each passing year?

P.S. your pics of Sarah fighting fish are always sick to me. You can tell she knows exactly how to pull on a fish from in every single one.  

Edited by Ftyer

Posted (edited)

12 mins ago, Ftyer said:

Solid report and I appreciate seeing what you’re doing down there, Brian. 

You’ve been at this awhile I think(?), do you feel you’ve seen a decline of Albies with each passing year?

P.S. your pics of Sarah fighting fish are always sick to me. You can tell she knows exactly how to pull on a fish from in every single one.  

Thanks. yep been at it a while I just finished my 30th year.  I have not seen a decline of the albies.  Weather plays a HUGE role in our migration.  This year we had some big south blows and that really wrecks things.  Warmer than normal water temps play a factor in when the bait flushes out of the inlet.  Last couple of years I have seen less of the bay anchovies --think they leave earlier than normal.  Tide plays a big factor when they bite--more so the last couple of years than I can remember in other years.  We have not seen the buffalos they last two years in their normal time (mid November).  They are still here because the bluefin tunas fisherman are getting eaten up by them off the beach live baiting.  We found the truly big albies last March (22 to 28 pounds).  I am still learning 

Yes she can pull 

Edited by bhorsley

21 hours ago, bhorsley said:

Thanks. yep been at it a while I just finished my 30th year.  I have not seen a decline of the albies.  Weather plays a HUGE role in our migration.  This year we had some big south blows and that really wrecks things.  Warmer than normal water temps play a factor in when the bait flushes out of the inlet.  Last couple of years I have seen less of the bay anchovies --think they leave earlier than normal.  Tide plays a big factor when they bite--more so the last couple of years than I can remember in other years.  We have not seen the buffalos they last two years in their normal time (mid November).  They are still here because the bluefin tunas fisherman are getting eaten up by them off the beach live baiting.  We found the truly big albies last March (22 to 28 pounds).  I am still learning 

Yes she can pull 

That’s a solid write up and I appreciate you giving all of that info. 

Mr. Horsley:  Some great action pix.  You all make me drool as I sit here on the raining Isle of Long!!!  Fish has been off this year, but, maybe tomorrow I'll go chase some pheasants!!!

Stay well and keep your reports coming.

FR44