Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Bergallmaster

Winter projects/ gas tank

Rate this topic

16 posts in this topic

Now im starting to think about winter projects. When i looked at my tank in the spring, it had some heavy pitting but no holes. I think im gonna replace it anyway. Grady originally used an 82 gal tank but that was in the time of gas guzzling 2 strokes. I wish moeller made a poly tank that would fit but no luck. I have a friend whose a welder so hes gonna make the tank. Im thinking of having a smaller tank made. Perhaps 60 gal or so. My reason is, i never fill my tank cause i never use that much gas. Smaller tank would allow less airspace so less water absorption. Also less weight and cheaper. Any reason i shouldnt do this? Also effect on tank pacement?

My pal is facing the same thing, he wants to go smaller and retro fit a plastic 

tank. I’m thinking it’s best to be center/forward in placement. Extra room dry storage? 

My brother did the same this summer on his 23 mako.  Didn't need all 120 gallons or whatnot, cut it down by 2/3, cut the coffin and did some bulkkheading and glasswork to make some in-deck dry storage.

He kept his remaining tankage forward, built the storage aft.  Helps a bit with the mako wet feet syndrome on that model if livewell is being used.  I guess it depends on how your scuppers lie in relation to waterline; you are a walkaround so have more weight forward as well.

No reason not to reduce tankage and create some storage if you don't need it.

There is a guy on THT that makes and sells gutters of all shapes and sizes that you can glass into the deck if you go that route...saves a ton of time/headache making molds etc

I know it sounds like a stupidly easy thing to do.  "Just make a smaller tank." I just wanna make sure theres no pitfalls im not considering in the equation.

3 hours ago, plugger said:

It could be a issue for resale, might be limiting to others.

only if you tell them!!

Srsly, its a 20' tanked for thirsty carbed 2 strokes

On 12/7/2022 at 0:13 PM, makorider said:

Helps a bit with the mako wet feet syndrome on that model if livewell is being used.

Otherwise known as "self-sinking". especially the 17s with too much motor

Posted (edited)

13 mins ago, Joe said:

Otherwise known as "self-sinking". especially the 17s with too much motor

I had a 17 with a V4.  Never an issue and that had that thing out too many times in **** it shouldn't have been near.  Edit:  That said, you HAD to keep a plug in the scupper drain. Always.  Any water that entered, which was minimal, I just allowed to drain through the hatch into the bildge and let the pump deal with it.

Cutouts on other models as low or lower, add a livewell to the mix and yes

Edited by makorider

1 hour ago, nightfighter said:

What is the boat model and year?

Me?  '73 Mako 171

Miss that boat.  Thing was still mint when we finally sold it in the early 2000s

1 hour ago, makorider said:

Me?  '73 Mako 171

Miss that boat.  Thing was still mint when we finally sold it in the early 2000s

The 171 we restored drains pretty well, you get a couple guys at the transom and a little may come in, but we don't plug the scuppers.Has a 115 Etec. 

28 mins ago, Billybob said:

The 171 we restored drains pretty well, you get a couple guys at the transom and a little may come in, but we don't plug the scuppers.Has a 115 Etec. 

They raised the deck in the mid-80s