GearGuy

Thin oil makes reel ticking

Rate this topic

13 posts in this topic

Hi,

I have a brand new Shimano Exsence DC XG Japan model which was doing quite well out of the box. However - the two spool bearings was a little "tight" probably caused by some grease in the bearings from factory. I thaen took out the bearings, removed the shields and flushed them out using brake cleaner on spray. Dried the afterwards with air on spray as well - and lubricated them with TG' Rocket Fuel - tournament. After this procedure I went out for casting, but the bearings now made a strange, though week clicking sound both when casting and when realing. However - after about 20 casts the sound went away! What are making this sound? PS: (The temperature is about 2-3 dec. celcius outside here in Denmark right now) Any comments?

Two things could have happened, was it hard to get the shields off? some are pressed in and others are held in place with a spring retainer, if you bend or put a kink in the shield every time the bearing race passes the kink it will have a slight ticking sound, you will just feel it as the spool spins it could go away as you use it, the other is all it takes is one piece of sand, but with sand, the ticking is inconsistent it gets pushed away for a while and it comes back, l have been down that road trying to save a bearing, or just to re-lube one after the reel got water in it.

Hopefully, it will be gone but if the sand is floating around it will be back.

Welcome aboard hoped this helped.

Thanks a lot LB - I think the ticking was a "Warning" from the bearings saying: "You use too thin oil" - because it went away when i lubricated with TG's Rocket Fuel, the yollow one!

Posted (edited)

23 hours ago, GearGuy said:

Thanks a lot LB - I think the ticking was a "Warning" from the bearings saying: "You use too thin oil" - because it went away when i lubricated with TG's Rocket Fuel, the yollow one!

l don't know how thin TG's Rocket Fuel oil is, l never just use oil as a bearing lubricant for a ball bearing l usually mix oil with some grease,

the thickness l make it depends on what time of year it is winter a little thinner, do the same for reel gears l make my own lubricant for all my reels.

lf you are tournament casting then that is another story you have to make the spool spin as free as possible.

What are you catching in Denmark? are you fishing salt or freshwater?

Edited by LB

Posted (edited)

Hi LB,

Yes - I know about mixing oils to meet a certain viscosity. I use the TG's Rocket Fuel oils exactly because they can be mixed individually.

I fish for sea trout here in Denmark - in salt water.. Also we have cod, but very strong regulations makes it impossible to go for cod. Only one cod per person per day are allowed.

Have a nice day LB

Klaus

Edited by GearGuy

I’ve used olive oil on 6500 bearings and level winds with out any issues .. its thin and will thicken when below 45 f … but it works just fine from the beech without any loss in casting distance or performance as measured on a field vs reel with rocket fuel…if spray gets into the reel from the beech then you will need to relube/ clean the reel especially if you have a level wind …. I know it sounds crazy … lol lol lol 

Hello Surf bomber,

If it works for you it's just fine, but to be absolutely honest, I don't think olive oil is the best thing to use in a reel. Unfortunately it will rotten over time and make a really mess. But - if you flush the bearings and reoil after every use, it could maybe worrk. However, it do not have any of the additives as in the oils dedicated to reels. How does it penetrate into the bearings when lubricating without removing the shields on the bearing? Just fine........or........?

2 hours ago, Surf bomber said:

I’ve used olive oil on 6500 bearings and level winds with out any issues .. its thin and will thicken when below 45 f … but it works just fine from the beech without any loss in casting distance or performance as measured on a field vs reel with rocket fuel…if spray gets into the reel from the beech then you will need to relube/ clean the reel especially if you have a level wind …. I know it sounds crazy … lol lol lol 

l tried Wesson cooking oil once in the 50s when l was a kid l had no grease or oil, my reel went underwater l cleaned it that night and poured the corn oil into it, it said oil on the bottle it gummed up real fast l learned a lesson real fast use only grease or oil.

Hi,

I just went home after some trout fishing, OMG it's so cold now here in Denmark - my fingers were almost "dead" Did not catch any trouts though!

Posted (edited)

3 hours ago, GearGuy said:

Hi,

I just went home after some trout fishing, OMG it's so cold now here in Denmark - my fingers were almost "dead" Did not catch any trouts though!

l have been fishing since the 50s and in all those years l might have gone trout fishing 6 times, l caught my share of large mouth bass pan fish, but my passion was always surf fishing for stripe bass, with medium weight outfits 7 to 9 foot rods.

l know that cold feels like also, l spent some time in Alaska in the 60s that's to Uncle Sam in the army l drove a truck to offbeat please delivering supplies, once just below Fairbanks we had to spend the night it was -60 below freezing.

Stripbass on a light outfit, the Penn 430SS is around 50 years old l bought it new the rod l buit about 35 years old l redid the butt a couple of ago.

701a29c1-8042-45bf-a6b3-b642f1855381.jpg.5fdaef1191b5a3a7727fce36a15a2133.jpg

Largemouth bass freshwater on a stripbass plug.

20200603_155347.jpg.b7474537ad6ab44f7feeadb30f977cf7.jpg

l make my own rods for all the kinds of fishing l do, it's hard to find a rod that fits you and within your bought.

l also make a lot of my fishing lures, plugs tins bucktails.

Edited by LB

Hi LB,

Very nice pictures thanks a lot. And your gear, so old and still looking as it was new - you are doing your reel and rod maintenance very well. When I was out today I took my Shimano Exsence DC Japan model on my 10 foot Sportex Airspin rod. There is only made 20 of this rod by Sportex - it's an ordinari Airspin rod - but with rings and reel holder made for baitcasting. These 20 rods are numbered from 1 to 20 - and I own number 16. I was a bit pricey, about 6.000,- Danish krone - it's about 837 USD.

l just lost everything l typed so doing it over again.

What are you using this 10 rod for? freshwater or saltwater, that is out of my budget l will spend that much which l did for a VS100 and VS150 spinning reel, my VS100 l had since 1997. l know in Europe Cap fishing is very big and 10 ft rods and bigger are used.

l had made med-light rods out of steelhead blanks which l bought from Cabela's in 2005 rod blanks were $24.95 US today about $100.00, all toll back then to make the rod about $75.00 US. 

l am a retired machinist and l like to keep myself busy, hands and mind.

Gear guy, does it have anything to do with cars? or machinery.

Thanks for yours reply. The 10 rod I use for saltwater fishing, though - the most common on the coast is 9 foot rods, but I like to cast long distance, and the 10 foot suits me wery well doing this. I'm on early retirement because of discus prolaps problems, and also some mental problems like depression. And GearGuy has to do with my passion for good gear and my passion for making tuning to my reels.I'm 63 years old now, and within the next 3 years I will be an ordinary pensionere, and my income will be redused by about 50% - that's why I'm buying the expensive gear now - because within 3 years it will be to an end. I have been a rescue man for 8 years, and I'm a carpenter and constructor af buildings. My last job before I went on early retirement was in a arcitect firm.