peanutbunkerandjelly

Herring?

Rate this topic

23 posts in this topic

Sure there are plenty Herring around. Usually in the evenings under the lights that are shining over the water.. What I have been using is a Sabiki rig that I attached a flasher to the top of the rig and sometimes a light that flashes to the rig..

26 mins ago, sytheteacher said:

Sure there are plenty Herring around. Usually in the evenings under the lights that are shining over the water.. What I have been using is a Sabiki rig that I attached a flasher to the top of the rig and sometimes a light that flashes to the rig..

Yea, those flashers work good. My dad and i used to herring fish every year so he could make if for the holidays. He passed away and its been 15+yrs since ive done it. We used to catch them at shinnecock. If we couldnt get them there we would go up west to point look out.

No sign of any invasion in the south yet. Might be a good idea to check the northern spots.  The 8th is full moon, so if they don't come in in force by end of the week, it might be over the herring run.  The last couple of season is not been good, signs of trouble ahead.

20 hours ago, hobobob said:

The last couple of season is not been good, signs of trouble ahead.

Unfortunately, the trouble has already arrived.

2022 stock assessment found that Atlantic herring are overfished, although overfishing isn't occurring.

Combine a declining stock with a warming ocean, and we should expect some lean years, at least until the stock recovers.

2 hours ago, CWitek said:

Unfortunately, the trouble has already arrived.

2022 stock assessment found that Atlantic herring are overfished, although overfishing isn't occurring.

Combine a declining stock with a warming ocean, and we should expect some lean years, at least until the stock recovers.

Anecdotally, Atlantic mackerel stopped showing up around the Jersey shores a decade ago.  Last time I saw a party boat stay in service to fish them past February was 2012.  No they just close up shop in January for maintenance til spring.

I suppose herring are going the same way in NY.    

1 hour ago, BillHoo said:

Anecdotally, Atlantic mackerel stopped showing up around the Jersey shores a decade ago.  Last time I saw a party boat stay in service to fish them past February was 2012.  No they just close up shop in January for maintenance til spring.

I suppose herring are going the same way in NY.    

Atlantic mackerel are overfished, too.

The Mid-Atlantic Fishery Management Council's original rebuilding plan wasn't restrictive enough to rebuild the stock, so it has been amended, further reducing landings, hopefully low enough to rebuild the stock.

https://www.mafmc.org/newsfeed/2022/council-approves-revised-stock-rebuilding-plan-for-atlantic-mackerel

18 hours ago, DEM Parking Lot said:

May want to start pickling hickory shad instead

Have you done it?

I've caught them for bait, but never considered consuming them because of all the bones and the fact they smell so fishy.

7 mins ago, BillHoo said:

Have you done it?

I've caught them for bait, but never considered consuming them because of all the bones and the fact they smell so fishy.

All jokes aside, I have never pickled Hickory shad.

However, I did put one in the broiler that was gill hooked.  It wasn't bad tasting if you can pick through the 100s of needle bones.  Otherwise, it made a nice THUMP sound hitting the trash can.

If "fishy flavor" is your thing, I bet the hickories wouldn't be bad pickling since fermenting should soften the bones.

21 hours ago, DEM Parking Lot said:

May want to start pickling hickory shad instead

There is certainly no shortage of them, seem to be more and bigger each year.

On 12/6/2022 at 7:06 PM, Jig It said:

Went out few days ago beach, inlet jetty. Micro jigging. All I caught is a few snags.

PXL_20221205_135731336~2.jpg

PXL_20221205_144843150~2.jpg

What knot is that?

Also any tips on the retrieve.  I tried it out last year and didn't get a whiff. 

I will say those jdm assist hooks are the sharpest hooks I've ever seen!   I dropped one and it stuck in my leg almost to the barb.  Just the hook! No jig.  Like a freakin dart!

On 12/7/2022 at 11:01 AM, DEM Parking Lot said:

All jokes aside, I have never pickled Hickory shad.

However, I did put one in the broiler that was gill hooked.  It wasn't bad tasting if you can pick through the 100s of needle bones.  Otherwise, it made a nice THUMP sound hitting the trash can.

If "fishy flavor" is your thing, I bet the hickories wouldn't be bad pickling since fermenting should soften the bones.

Somebody must really like 'em...

Mad for Shad - Nassau County

On Nov. 14, while on foot patrol at West End Beach at Jones Beach State Park, ECO Pabes noticed an angler packing up fishing gear to leave. The angler left his bucket on the beach and walked back to the parking lot, suspiciously checking his surroundings, including which cars were in the lot. When the fisherman failed to see an ECO vehicle, he returned to the bucket and carried it back to the parking lot. ECO Pabes intercepted the angler and inspected the bucket, which held 27 hickory shad, a saltwater fish with a limit of five per day. Officer Pabes ticketed the angler for possessing over the limit of fish and fishing without a Marine registry, returnable to Nassau County First District Court. The ECO also seized the fish and donated them to a wildlife rehabilitator.

large number of dead fish on the back of a truck
ECO Pabes seized 27 hickory shad in Nassau County