Scott Charlton

22,444 posts in the topic concerning "Flat Earth"

Rate this topic

20 posts in this topic

15 mins ago, Scott Charlton said:

I was just in the main forum...22,444 messages "debating" if we our planet is flat or not.  I love SOL!!!

You were in the Tavern, you should stop by and say hello next time you are there :)  It's a great thread if you wanna see how absolutely nuts some people are :clap:

Posted (edited)

8 hours ago, TimS said:

You were in the Tavern, you should stop by and say hello next time you are there :)  It's a great thread if you wanna see how absolutely nuts some people are :clap:

I walked into that thread and saw myself right out!

Wear your safety glasses. 

:scissors:

Edited by PSeggs

Posted (edited)

The Tavern, the penultimate expression of the "Groucho Paradigm"... 

If you don't know why, then fasten your seatbelt and have at it!!!

And as a side observation, the fact that there's even a singe Flat Earth believer validates the Roccus Rule of "Never underestimate the ignorance of the American Electorate!!"

Edited by Roccus7

1 hour ago, Roccus7 said:

The Tavern, the penultimate expression of the "Groucho Paradigm"... 

If you don't know why, then fasten your seatbelt and have at it!!!

And as a side observation, the fact that there's even a singe Flat Earth believer validates the Roccus Rule of "Never underestimate the ignorance of the American Electorate!!"

PT Barnum had several famous quote "A sucker's born every minute" is one of them, but my favourite of all time:

"Never underestimate the intelligence of the American Consumer", pretty darn close Roccus!

“I have a foreboding of an America in my children's or grandchildren's time -- when the United States is a service and information economy; when nearly all the manufacturing industries have slipped away to other countries; when awesome technological powers are in the hands of a very few, and no one representing the public interest can even grasp the issues; when the people have lost the ability to set their own agendas or knowledgeably question those in authority; when, clutching our crystals and nervously consulting our horoscopes, our critical faculties in decline, unable to distinguish between what feels good and what's true, we slide, almost without noticing, back into superstition and darkness...

The dumbing down of American is most evident in the slow decay of substantive content in the enormously influential media, the 30 second sound bites (now down to 10 seconds or less), lowest common denominator programming, credulous presentations on pseudoscience and superstition, but especially a kind of celebration of ignorance”

Carl Sagan

7 hours ago, Skunkoff said:

That thread is some entertaining stuff.  I'm sure most there are joking to keep it alive.

Even if one believes it, that's horrible...

13 hours ago, Sea Of Atlas said:

“I have a foreboding of an America in my children's or grandchildren's time -- when the United States is a service and information economy; when nearly all the manufacturing industries have slipped away to other countries; when awesome technological powers are in the hands of a very few, and no one representing the public interest can even grasp the issues; when the people have lost the ability to set their own agendas or knowledgeably question those in authority; when, clutching our crystals and nervously consulting our horoscopes, our critical faculties in decline, unable to distinguish between what feels good and what's true, we slide, almost without noticing, back into superstition and darkness...

The dumbing down of American is most evident in the slow decay of substantive content in the enormously influential media, the 30 second sound bites (now down to 10 seconds or less), lowest common denominator programming, credulous presentations on pseudoscience and superstition, but especially a kind of celebration of ignorance”

Carl Sagan

I disagree. The dumbing down of America is most evident in the candidacy of Herschel Walker.

As for the Flat Earthers, IMO it's all just trolling. They don't listen to any facts or arguments, which makes it simply theater not an actual conversation. They'd say something, and when shown why that was untrue, just ignore you and state it again. After a couple of rounds you realize it's like talking to an autistic child. Rain Man was exactly the same at the end of the movie folks.

6 hours ago, gellfex said:

I disagree. The dumbing down of America is most evident in the candidacy of Herschel Walker.

As for the Flat Earthers, IMO it's all just trolling. They don't listen to any facts or arguments, which makes it simply theater not an actual conversation. They'd say something, and when shown why that was untrue, just ignore you and state it again. After a couple of rounds you realize it's like talking to an autistic child. Rain Man was exactly the same at the end of the movie folks.

That's not fair to autistic children.  They understand 10x more than most people think they do.  They just can't get the info from point A to point B.   

If u give them a tool to complete that chain it's amazing.    

18 hours ago, PSeggs said:

That's not fair to autistic children.  They understand 10x more than most people think they do.  They just can't get the info from point A to point B.   

If u give them a tool to complete that chain it's amazing.    

Ok, I apologize to autistic children everywhere, who are more able to learn than the flat earthers. I'll refrain from speculating what exact kind of brain damage the latter actually have.