Winter trout '22 - '23

Rate this topic

zak-striper

35 mins ago, MikeK said:

A buddy of mine landed an Osprey that dove on his pencil popper.  Didn't sound like a fun experience....

Two or three years ago, at the canal, twice in one season, I had a sea bird fly into my line right after I cast it. Both times the bird got tangled up in my braid. I had to slowly and carefully reel in the bird, then cover its head and beak with my shirt or coat so it wouldn't bite me as I untangled it. I got both incidences on video. Good times. :)

8 hours ago, MikeK said:

A buddy of mine landed an Osprey that dove on his pencil popper.  Didn't sound like a fun experience....

Good lord. That's one of those situations that has "ER" written all over it.

Fishing kills me exactly as it keeps me alive.

Hemingway, Old Man and the Sea

9 hours ago, zak-striper said:

Two or three years ago, at the canal, twice in one season, I had a sea bird fly into my line right after I cast it. Both times the bird got tangled up in my braid. I had to slowly and carefully reel in the bird, then cover its head and beak with my shirt or coat so it wouldn't bite me as I untangled it. I got both incidences on video. Good times. :)

Try untangling a blue heron on the canal, true story. That was not fun at all. Luckily I was there to help out my uncle. 

6 mins ago, gray gables said:

Try untangling a blue heron on the canal, true story. That was not fun at all. Luckily I was there to help out my uncle. 

Theyre the worst. Ive clotheslined a few unintentionally but luckily never hooked one. Never had an owl encounter but i guess they are opportunistic feeders and will hit anything if they think its food.

Pfantum Pfishah

I was lucky enough to get a pelican right around sunrise down in Cabo.  Good thing he got tumbled in the surf before I could get to him… He was so exhausted that he just sat there while I unwrapped his wings with one hand and held his mouth shut with the other.  Once I let him go, he took right off.

An owl. That is crazy. Wouldn'twant to tangle with that. . Got plenty of sheerwaters and terns which arent too bad but the worst I've had to deal with is cormorants. Nasty buggers. Got bit multiple times by one this year while untangling his wing. They have some reach lol

I have had tons of tangled/hooked bird experiences over the years and have faired very well for the most part.

Grab them around the neck with the "OK sign" and untangle them without any damage. Worked every time until albie fishing this year. I went to grab a tangled little ****er, got my hand tangled in a loop of line and the gull grabbed my thumb.

Undeterred, I lipped the rat like a bass and held it like that until I got it free. Thought I would get the gull flu but somehow it didn't break the skin.

Embrace American Privilege

39 mins ago, BrianBM said:

First I've ever heard of an owl stealing an angler's fish. Must've been one damn hungry bird.

Barred owls are known to feed in water. I've seen numerous trail cam videos of barred owls wading knee deep in water catching frogs and salamander. Going after fish is not that great of a stretch. Probably a young bird, not afraid of people who learned stocked trout were tasty.