afterhours

Be Careful Where You Store Boat

Rate this topic

9 posts in this topic

So I have a dedicated spot next to my house on the extended driveway for my boat. Yesterday a big gust of wind (you could hear it) comes and the wife hears a loud bang. I go out to check the house and what do I find - solid 3" 8' branch/limb fell right on my freshly shrink wrapped boat and the Yamaha took the brunt. She has a 5" crack/gash in the cowling. Cowlings are stupid $ almost 2k from what I'm seeing. Wondering if homeowners ins. covers this, God knows how much I've paid them over the years without any claims.

Moral of this story go outside and double check your storage spot for safety.

Its crazy what they get for parts, Yamaha in particular who thinks their **** doesnt stink

There are some liquidation shops in FL...I forget the names, but they do exist.  With the hurricane in SW Fl this fall, I bet one could be found

You could always slap some fiberglass over it and wait for a used one to come up. Fb and cl, i see them under $300 all the time.

Agree, I work at a body shop in NJ. All winter we are repairing and repainting cowls for outboards. It sucks, but it is repairable normally. Just be prepared for the cost. Materials are through the roof like everything else. 

The boat insurance may cover it. Don’t think homeowners will.  If a tree falls on car auto insurance covers that.  

1 hour ago, Bergallmaster said:

I know it might be hard with the shrinkwrap but any damage to the transom?

No, none at all. 

Make sure you know the costs before you make a claim. My newest agent said, yeh, you have a 1000 deductible on your house, so if you make a 2000 claim you'll net 1000, plus have a surcharge for 3 years for having filed a claim. Bottom line seems to be take a big deductible and only use your insurance when the house burns down.