TheSpaniard

Casting distance: 10’ vs 11’6”

Rate this topic

41 posts in this topic

25 mins ago, TheSpaniard said:


This is the other reason I am in the market for another rod. My 10 year old Shimano Tiralejo is a nice whip but it’s outdated in terms of weight. I had my hands on some of these newer rods and they weigh half of what my rod does. I figured I’d still be lighter with the ODM at 11’ than my current rod and get some extra distance.

 

sounds like a win win but I always like to hear what you guys have to say.

i cannot say enough positive about the Century Stealth series. I have a pre-graphene S2 1326 11 footer paired with a VR125 and it is my favorite rod. Light, not super fast, easy loading and very forgiving when fighting serious fish. Nominally rated for 2-5oz, i can cast 3/4 off the tip though I think it strains above 4oz., more lob than cast. 

 

I imagine that the newer graphene versions are even lighter but you would have to ask @AFMike to confirm. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The right 11footer will get you a bit more than a 10. What reel and line are you using, a long cast spool reel and a 10lb reduction in lb test braid could very well get you more extra distance than a new rod.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, TheSpaniard said:

Hi Guys,

 

looking for some firsthand info on casting distance difference between a 10 footer and an 11’6”. I’m usually chucking plugs and occasionally metal. I have found myself this fall coming up 10-20 yards short at times and I’m wondering if the longer rod is going to get me there. Transport for a 1 piece is not an issue.

 

I have my eye on an ODM Evolution in particular, so any extra info in that regard would also be helpful.

 

Thanks,

John

I have both the 10' and 11' odm evolution.

The way to describe them in the most polite manner possible (which no doubt will still ruffle the feathers of odm fans)

I'm having a flash back to when the St Croix legends came out and I claimed they were Meh.....and all the salty scientists tried telling me I need 6000 hours in order to learn how to cast the technology found in these marvals.......and that 10 tides wasn't enough... :)

 

I really like the actions.....

They are thick walled blanks that are relatively light for how thick the blank walls are......The soft actions make loading easy, but there are tons of rods with soft actions.

To me.....There is just something about slower rod actions that don't say "high performance"

The let off and recovery just isn't there....even with meticulous guide placement and ti fujis.

It's just a function of the blank and physics of the materials.

 

If the thick walls provide a measurable increase durability....and durability is an important factor to you ....than that would up the "performance"

(I never broke a rod under normal conditions, so I can't say that helps me)

 

It's worth mentioning that I feel the 10 footer is overated....5 ounces is a bit generaous as 3.5 ounces is starting to get outside it's comfort zone.

 

I don't see these rods as long distance missile launchers.  

 

But the slower recovery can help get baits that generally like to tumble on a mis timed cast on a fast action rod to stay straighter with less emphasis on perfect technique.  But you're not gaining 20 more yards even on a hero cast.

 

At 600 to 1000$ That's a buncha money...

 

I have way too many chameleon colored rods in my car right now.....5...I think that's a record.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, TheSpaniard said:

Thanks for the replies so far. I have been throwing a 10 footer for the last 15 years. Technique is no issue and I believe I get the best out of those rods.

 

I never thought I needed anymore distance than a good 10 footer can do but this fall during the day has made me second guess that. I’d probably stick with a 10 at night and the 11’6” during the day.

Sounds like your planning on a custom build. If your going that route; have it built for the right size reel. All you have to do is tell the builder your set distance from the butt to the center of the reel and the size reel that will be on the rod.

 

Forget about the reels that have a spool diameter of 2.5" and smaller. Have the rod built for a reel that has a spool diameter of 2.75"

 

The rod paired with the right reel and built for that reel will give you the most casting distance. A custom rod built for a reel with a spool diameter 2 3/4" is the ticket for maximum distance. You can still put a backup reel with a smaller spool on your custom built rod for the 2 3/4" spool, but you will loose casting distance.

 

It's not a two way street!!!

 

If you have the rod built for a 2.5" spool or smaller; you will not be able to use a reel with a 2 3/4" spool on that rod. You'll be pulling your hair out with guide tangles when there's no wind. I can't remember what the guide layout is called, but a professional builder will. I think it was called the concept guide system layout. A good builder will lay it out and tweak it, so there is no line slap giving you maximum distance on your cast.

 

Hope that helps

Lou T

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, scoobydoo said:

I have both the 10' and 11' odm evolution.

The way to describe them in the most polite manner possible (which no doubt will still ruffle the feathers of odm fans)

I'm having a flash back to when the St Croix legends came out and I claimed they were Meh.....and all the salty scientists tried telling me I need 6000 hours in order to learn how to cast the technology found in these marvals.......and that 10 tides wasn't enough... :)

 

I really like the actions.....

They are thick walled blanks that are relatively light for how thick the blank walls are......The soft actions make loading easy, but there are tons of rods with soft actions.

To me.....There is just something about slower rod actions that don't say "high performance"

The let off and recovery just isn't there....even with meticulous guide placement and ti fujis.

It's just a function of the blank and physics of the materials.

 

If the thick walls provide a measurable increase durability....and durability is an important factor to you ....than that would up the "performance"

(I never broke a rod under normal conditions, so I can't say that helps me)

 

It's worth mentioning that I feel the 10 footer is overated....5 ounces is a bit generaous as 3.5 ounces is starting to get outside it's comfort zone.

 

I don't see these rods as long distance missile launchers.  

 

But the slower recovery can help get baits that generally like to tumble on a mis timed cast on a fast action rod to stay straighter with less emphasis on perfect technique.  But you're not gaining 20 more yards even on a hero cast.

 

At 600 to 1000$ That's a buncha money...

 

I have way too many chameleon colored rods in my car right now.....5...I think that's a record.

 

 


Scooby, what are your thoughts on the 11’6” model and it’s ratings? What is your overall opinion in distance between the 10 and 11? 
 

In my head there has to be a reason to offer an 11 footer or is this just a gimmick?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, scoobydoo said:

I have both the 10' and 11' odm evolution.

The way to describe them in the most polite manner possible (which no doubt will still ruffle the feathers of odm fans)

I'm having a flash back to when the St Croix legends came out and I claimed they were Meh.....and all the salty scientists tried telling me I need 6000 hours in order to learn how to cast the technology found in these marvals.......and that 10 tides wasn't enough... :)

 

I really like the actions.....

They are thick walled blanks that are relatively light for how thick the blank walls are......The soft actions make loading easy, but there are tons of rods with soft actions.

To me.....There is just something about slower rod actions that don't say "high performance"

The let off and recovery just isn't there....even with meticulous guide placement and ti fujis.

It's just a function of the blank and physics of the materials.

 

If the thick walls provide a measurable increase durability....and durability is an important factor to you ....than that would up the "performance"

(I never broke a rod under normal conditions, so I can't say that helps me)

 

It's worth mentioning that I feel the 10 footer is overated....5 ounces is a bit generaous as 3.5 ounces is starting to get outside it's comfort zone.

 

I don't see these rods as long distance missile launchers.  

 

But the slower recovery can help get baits that generally like to tumble on a mis timed cast on a fast action rod to stay straighter with less emphasis on perfect technique.  But you're not gaining 20 more yards even on a hero cast.

 

At 600 to 1000$ That's a buncha money...

 

I have way too many chameleon colored rods in my car right now.....5...I think that's a record.

 

 

I guess you did not believe me....:laugh:

 

or did not see or heed my warnings

Lou T

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, VanStaalSteve said:

For casting plugs from 3/4 to 3 oz. the Century Sling shot SS1265, 10'6"is excellent. 

I’m thinking that’s my next rod before CMS closes its doors. Paired with a Gossa 6000. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)

18 hours ago, Mack26 said:

I’m thinking that’s my next rod before CMS closes its doors. Paired with a Gossa 6000. 

I was looking for something and came up on there website, that's not helpful at all. There closing down Mack

Edited by Lou T

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Lou T said:

I was looking for something and came upon there website, that's not helpful at all. There closing down Mack

I think it’s in April, Lou. I believe they are taking orders till Jan. and filling them, and then shutting down in April.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have not seen the height of the caster mentioned in most of these posts, and yet I strongly believe it’s an important thing to consider. I have built some of my own rods and fished friends rods more than enough. At 5’11 I have a hard time loading a 11’ rod. I find I’m simply not tall enough to use them to my advantage. I feel a lot more at home with a 10’ or even a 9’ rod . And believe I can cast those further than any 11’ . Now buddies of mine in the 6’2- 6’6 range have no issues with them . I think it’s (height)  an important part of the mechanics.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, Lou T said:

I guess you did not believe me....:laugh:

 

or did not see or heed my warnings

Lou T

What I miss? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, Mack26 said:

I think it’s in April, Lou. I believe they are taking orders till Jan. and filling them, and then shutting down in April.

I was looking at sales posted on there web sites, but there site dose not let you place a order. Guess it's there as a in store invite.

 

Looks like a nice B&T

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, scoobydoo said:

What I miss? 

If your never read anything I wrote on the proto type rod that was field tested a little over two years and never released; nothing.

 

I have no time in on using the new rod they came out with, except making a couple cast with a friends rod that had a 2 ounce Megastrike Mega Shad.

 

So based on your review, the Spaniard won't hit Spain with it....:D

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 mins ago, Lou T said:

If your never read anything I wrote on the proto type rod that was field tested a little over two years and never released; nothing.

 

I have no time in on using the new rod they came out with, except making a couple cast with a friends rod that had a 2 ounce Megastrike Mega Shad.

 

So based on your review, the Spaniard won't hit Spain with it....:D


Any shot at Portugal? :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)

22 hours ago, TheSpaniard said:


Any shot at Portugal? :)

:laugh:....  maybe

Edited by Lou T

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to register here in order to participate.

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.