TheSpaniard

Casting distance: 10’ vs 11’6”

Rate this topic

41 posts in this topic

Hi Guys,

looking for some firsthand info on casting distance difference between a 10 footer and an 11’6”. I’m usually chucking plugs and occasionally metal. I have found myself this fall coming up 10-20 yards short at times and I’m wondering if the longer rod is going to get me there. Transport for a 1 piece is not an issue.

I have my eye on an ODM Evolution in particular, so any extra info in that regard would also be helpful.

Thanks,

John

Posted (edited)

In general an extra foot and a half should give you your needed extra distance……but……some 10’ers will outcast some 11’6” rods…….depends on blank

evolution should give you all the distance you need for sure

Edited by FISH BUCKET

In physics the longer rod should get you more distance. But form factor, loading the blank, line/reel has a lot to consider too getting that little extra distance. If longer rod is harder to handle/cast, then you actually lose that distance.

11ft lami, throwing 5 oz will with an old s l h 30 will get you 120-130 yds measured on a field with your basic hatteras cast …accuracy maybe easier with the shorter rod .. longer maybe easier to lift fish over the edge of a jetty …practice is a must when you start looking for distance … and theirs nothing cheap… you can’t buy distance … lol lol… 

Distance often comes down to personal strength, balance and casting techniques.  A longer rod should give you more distance, but only if you are physically capable of handling it.  

distance depend on proper reel,line and rod which load properly with lure what you use for fishing.

if you use 10' rod and is rated 3 oz you will cast longer then 12

rod rated for 8 oz.

when you cast with that 10' rod,the rod will band like bow lims and help you shoot that 3 oz out.

when you cast  with 12' the 3 oz ,the rod will not bend to help you shoot the 3 oz out,you have to do that with your musels but you will not cast even that thistance what you did with 10' rod.

the proper flex in rod will give you the distance.

if you put 6 oz on that 10' rated 3 oz,the rod will trow the 6 oz out but will not get you best distance,the rod has no power to push that out for maximum distance.

You will definitely need the muscle juice to throw any kind of distance … and some how that muscle juice just dissipates with time … the gym helps but Father Time waits for no one … lol lol lol … a radio controlled flying device may help … 

Thanks for the replies so far. I have been throwing a 10 footer for the last 15 years. Technique is no issue and I believe I get the best out of those rods.

I never thought I needed anymore distance than a good 10 footer can do but this fall during the day has made me second guess that. I’d probably stick with a 10 at night and the 11’6” during the day.

Everything is a trade off, I'm afraid. I'm sure comfort is as important to you as it is me. The rod that throws the longest might also be the one that wears you out the quickest. I find the longer you go (in general), the more tip heavy they get (stating the obvious I know).

I pick the longest rod that won't seem to cause me premature fatigue. It's dependent on many factors... for example, overall blank weight, component weights, balance with the reel, arm length, height, etc., etc. Point being, advice can only go so far. You need to have hands on experimentation to definitively know what actually works best for you and your casting style. I make sure to focus choices to reflect overall objectives in hopes of minimizing perpetual shelf queens. Why do you think half of us have 35 rods! 

11 mins ago, Ba Ba Buoy said:

Everything is a trade off, I'm afraid. I'm sure comfort is as important to you as it is me. The rod that throws the longest might also be the one that wears you out the quickest. I find the longer you go (in general), the more tip heavy they get (stating the obvious I know).

I pick the longest rod that won't seem to cause me premature fatigue. It's dependent on many factors... for example, overall blank weight, component weights, balance with the reel, arm length, height, etc., etc. Point being, advice can only go so far. You need to have hands on experimentation to definitively know what actually works best for you and your casting style. I make sure to focus choices to reflect overall objectives in hopes of minimizing perpetual shelf queens. Why do you think half of us have 35 rods! 

This is the other reason I am in the market for another rod. My 10 year old Shimano Tiralejo is a nice whip but it’s outdated in terms of weight. I had my hands on some of these newer rods and they weigh half of what my rod does. I figured I’d still be lighter with the ODM at 11’ than my current rod and get some extra distance.

sounds like a win win but I always like to hear what you guys have to say.

1 hour ago, TheSpaniard said:

Thanks for the replies so far. I have been throwing a 10 footer for the last 15 years. Technique is no issue and I believe I get the best out of those rods.

I never thought I needed anymore distance than a good 10 footer can do but this fall during the day has made me second guess that. I’d probably stick with a 10 at night and the 11’6” during the day.

Don't know your casting style or stroke, so this may be useless, but there are ways of stretching extra distance. The overhead style used by British carp anglers, throwing bait and weight, is every effective. For the past couple of years I use that more than sidearm when casting big plugs for distance.

Others use a technique that lays the lure on the sand behind them with a longer line out of the tip. A semi sidearm swing, with the grounded lure loads the rod. I have seen the younger guys on Florida beaches using that one, but I have yet to master the timing. 

I captured this yesterday, friend Mike casting a Nomad Chug Norris 180 hoping to raise some big jacks. Not successful but it was impressive that his backcast was so deep and yet he never snagged it on the rocks behind him. He never knew until I shared this with him. I probably jinxed him….

CAFDB887-62AD-404E-ADE5-E54B6A9581BA.gif.5866ba484eaac270067f200a8f96938f.gif

7BA969C6-CF9C-4C91-90DA-738E1AFD3AA2.jpeg.bd9f8b2e6f2e30d245c98746e8e7cff7.jpeg