PhishOnLI

ODM dna

Rate this topic

34 posts in this topic

Looking to upgrade from my 9'6 airwave elite. Looking at an odm dna. I'll be putting a vr150 on it. The reel would be overkill on a 9 foot rod so I'd probably go 10 ft, no? 

23 hours ago, PhishOnLI said:

Looking to upgrade from my 9'6 airwave elite. Looking at an odm dna. I'll be putting a vr150 on it. The reel would be overkill on a 9 foot rod so I'd probably go 10 ft, no? 

I'm looking to upgrade my same rod, also.

I want something lighter but just as strong  as the AWE and same lure range up to 3 oz.  Does the DNA feel lighter than the Airwave elite?  New rod can be 9'-9'6" or so.  Maybe even 8' - 8'6".  The AWE I have now is 9'6".  What about a Black Hole Suzuki? Or maybe a Century (don't know which one) if I splurge.  I have a VSX 150 on the AWE now and would still use it on new rod.  

Sorry to hijack, PhishonLI.  Glad you started this thread.  I can take this to another thread.  I fish NJ sand beaches.

40 mins ago, Sam3631 said:

I'm looking to upgrade my same rod, also.

I want something lighter but just as strong  as the AWE and same lure range up to 3 oz.  Does the DNA feel lighter than the Airwave elite?  New rod can be 9'-9'6" or so.  Maybe even 8' - 8'6".  The AWE I have now is 9'6".  What about a Black Hole Suzuki? Or maybe a Century (don't know which one) if I splurge.  I have a VSX 150 on the AWE now and would still use it on new rod.  

Sorry to hijack, PhishonLI.  Glad you started this thread.  I can take this to another thread.  I fish NJ sand beaches.

No need to take to a new thread. I wish the DNA came in a 9'6. My first surf rod was a 10' and I like the idea of smaller. I fish mostly open beaches too on SS of long island so I could prob get away with a 9 footer. And yes, the DNA felt lighter than my AWE. I also love the spiral wrap on the odm. Started selling some older gear tonight to buy a DNA for the spring, lol. 

I think there are some 9’6” odm frontier X around in the BST. If you were thinking of splurging on a century anyway…

my daily driver rod paired w a vs150

On 12/3/2022 at 8:50 PM, PhishOnLI said:

Is that even an upgrade?

I have a vsx200 on my 10' dna. I will say, I do not love this rod but it's most definitely me and my style of casting. I used it for a full season, handles fish fine but I might move on from it next season. 

5 mins ago, HarryHood711 said:

I have a vsx200 on my 10' dna. I will say, I do not love this rod but it's most definitely me and my style of casting. I used it for a full season, handles fish fine but I might move on from it next season. 

What are you not happy with?