jjdbike

Revised: LED/ceiling fan dimmer switch?

Rate this topic

23 posts in this topic

Hey folks,

As you guys told me, the reason the LED bulbs in my ceiling fan were flickering was because the wall dimmer switch was LED incompatible. I replaced it w/ an LED compatible switch. The wiring pattern didn’t match up. The box was missing a hot wire. Turns out it’s an older style fan. It has a controller module in the fan that differentiates between fam & light. That module is what is LED incompatible. The newer fans have direct dedicated wires from fan & lights.

The two ceiling fans w/ LED lights that don’t have wall dimmers, just off / on switch’s. The fan is controlled by the pull chain which is fine for me. When I asked the electrician if we could install dimmers instead, he said it wasn’t wired for it. The ones w/ dimmers had one less wire. 

Here’s my question. Is it possible to tie the two black wires together and simply install an on/ off switch?

Please advise.

Thanks in advance.

JD

19 hours ago, jjdbike said:

Hey folks,

As you guys told me, the reason the LED bulbs in my ceiling fan were flickering was because the wall dimmer switch was LED incompatible. I replaced it w/ an LED compatible switch. The wiring pattern didn’t match up. The box was missing a hot wire. Turns out it’s an older style fan. It has a controller module in the fan that differentiates between fam & light. That module is what is LED incompatible. The newer fans have direct dedicated wires from fan & lights.

The two ceiling fans w/ LED lights that don’t have wall dimmers, just off / on switch’s. The fan is controlled by the pull chain which is fine for me. When I asked the electrician if we could install dimmers instead, he said it wasn’t wired for it. The ones w/ dimmers had one less wire. 

Here’s my question. Is it possible to tie the two black wires together and simply install an on/ off switch?

Please advise.

Thanks in advance.

JD

Are you asking to scrap the dimmer in favor of a single pole switch? 

Yes, you can do that if you're using the chain to control the fan. The problem with a lot of LEDs is that they are very bright. Running without a dimmer maybe too bright for the area. That's personal preference though. 

Thanks,

I appreciate that. Was hoping eliminating the dimmer would eliminate the LED incompatibility issue. 
I agree about brightness. I exasperated that issue by getting high Lumin daylight LEDs. I did that in reaction to the pathetic little light the original low watt incandescent bulbs put out. I replaced all the incandescent bulbs in the house w/ higher Lumen day light LEDs. Now the place is lit up like a surgical sweet. I over adjusted hard. Probably because seeing how little power the LEDs draw, I did I because I could. Obviously a

misya and flawed logic. So what analogous to switching from 20lb mono to 60 lb braid. 
Thanks Scally & friends,

JD

I never go higher than 3000k for color temp. I can't stand the daylight color. 

None of these LEDs last as long as they're supposed to, so swap em out when they fail in a year anyway. 

I think I may have just changed out my last incandescent bulb. It was probably in there since we moved in 13 years ago. "Progress"

1 hour ago, Scallywag said:

I never go higher than 3000k for color temp. I can't stand the daylight color. 

None of these LEDs last as long as they're supposed to, so swap em out when they fail in a year anyway. 

I think I may have just changed out my last incandescent bulb. It was probably in there since we moved in 13 years ago. "Progress"

So now I’m really frustrated.

The new update on/off switch, depending on wire placement, either works the light, or the fan, not both.

At this point I believe I only have two options.
1st to run another wire so there’s a dedicated wire for fan & another for the light.  That would be up the wall and across the ceiling.

2nd, just out the old school non LED compatible dimmer switch on and go back to incandescents. That seems to be my best option.

Thanks again.

JD

5 hours ago, jjdbike said:

The new update on/off switch, depending on wire placement, either works the light, or the fan, not both.

1st to run another wire so there’s a dedicated wire for fan & another for the light.  That would be up the wall and across the ceiling.

2nd, just out the old school non LED compatible dimmer switch on and go back to incandescents. That seems to be my best option.

Thanks again.

JD

Probably should have just changed the fan. The new fans have remotes to control the fan and lights individually. 

7 hours ago, jjdbike said:

Thanks again.

JD

I think you screwed up the wires in the fan. You should be able to just wire the 2 hots to the switch so they both go on with any older fan made. That said, you have several remote options, which means putting a receiver in the canopy and using a remote to individually and incrementally control the fan and light. One cheaper type is for a handheld style remote that comes with a wall holster. Another, with which I just pimped a "dumb" fan, is a remote wall switch that didn't require a neutral like most of them, it doesn't even require AC, and can run on battery which is what I did, relocating the switch to a more sensible spot. I think you can even use both a handheld remote and this wall switch. 

Hunter Fan Company 99771 Core w Wall Control with Receiver  Amazon ASIN    B09JB8RFHQ

Universal Ceiling Fan Remote Control Kit   ASIN    B0BDF5DPDB

15 hours ago, Scallywag said:

Probably should have just changed the fan. The new fans have remotes to control the fan and lights individually. 

Yes,

All 4 were matching and in good shape. So many things needed to be done when we moved in here 4 weeks ago, I wasn't looking to do more.

Now I've spent too much time on them. Probably should have just got the electrician to do it. 

Thanks for your help.

JD

12 hours ago, gellfex said:

I think you screwed up the wires in the fan. You should be able to just wire the 2 hots to the switch so they both go on with any older fan made. That said, you have several remote options, which means putting a receiver in the canopy and using a remote to individually and incrementally control the fan and light. One cheaper type is for a handheld style remote that comes with a wall holster. Another, with which I just pimped a "dumb" fan, is a remote wall switch that didn't require a neutral like most of them, it doesn't even require AC, and can run on battery which is what I did, relocating the switch to a more sensible spot. I think you can even use both a handheld remote and this wall switch. 

Hunter Fan Company 99771 Core w Wall Control with Receiver  Amazon ASIN    B09JB8RFHQ

Universal Ceiling Fan Remote Control Kit   ASIN    B0BDF5DPDB

Thanks Gel,

I can understand why you might think I wired the fan incorrectly upon installation. I'm confidant I did not as the electrician and I did them together, carefully following the instructions. They worked perfectly w/ the original incandescent light. It wasn't till I swapped them out for LEDs that the isles started. 

The easiest thing to do would be go back to incandescents. I'd prefer not to if possible. 

I'll look into the remote controls.

Thanks again.

JD

4 mins ago, jjdbike said:

Thanks Gel,

I can understand why you might think I wired the fan incorrectly upon installation. I'm confidant I did not as the electrician and I did them together, carefully following the instructions. They worked perfectly w/ the original incandescent light. It wasn't till I swapped them out for LEDs that the isles started. 

The easiest thing to do would be go back to incandescents. I'd prefer not to if possible. 

Thanks again.

JD

After looking at the remotes, I'm not up for doing that work. I'm giving up, cutting my losses and going back to incandescents.

JD

24 mins ago, jjdbike said:

Yes,

All 4 were matching and in good shape. So many things needed to be done when we moved in here 4 weeks ago, I wasn't looking to do more.

Now I've spent too much time on them. Probably should have just got the electrician to do it. 

Thanks for your help.

JD

I get it man. Things I did when I moved in and wished I didn't now. Nothing I can do to change it now. 

Btw, where did you move to? Just curious cuz I'm pretty solid with electric. I also have a good electrician buddy that runs around OC and MoCo. 

53 mins ago, jjdbike said:

Thanks Gel,

Thanks again.

JD

But now you're calling back to the dimmer installation which had its own issues. Once you remove the dimmers it should be dead simple. If you know the exact model of the fan you could probably find the original installation instructions online which will show you exactly how to set it up on a single switch to use the pull chains. I've done this so many times with so many different models!

53 mins ago, Scallywag said:

I get it man. Things I did when I moved in and wished I didn't now. Nothing I can do to change it now. 

Btw, where did you move to? Just curious cuz I'm pretty solid with electric. I also have a good electrician buddy that runs around OC and MoCo. 

I wish I was in OC NJ! I hear this was one heck of a fall run. I’m in Oceanside CA. Opposite corner of the country.

I am taking a break from work today to go surf fishing. It’s a negative low tide tjis afternoon and I’m targeting a reef that I’m hoping Will be exposed and w/ in wading / casting distance. Looking for calico bass in the rocks and CA halibut on the periphery.

21 mins ago, gellfex said:

But now you're calling back to the dimmer installation which had its own issues. Once you remove the dimmers it should be dead simple. If you know the exact model of the fan you could probably find the original installation instructions online which will show you exactly how to set it up on a single switch to use the pull chains. I've done this so many times with so many different models!

Thanks again Gel,

I’ll call the manufacturer and poke around on line.

I’ll let you know.

I do appreciate your help.

in the box on the wall, the wires are green, which I understand to be the ground, red which may be the hot, and black which I believe is supposed to be hot but it’s connected to several other wires w/ a wire connector nut. 

JD

24 mins ago, jjdbike said:

in the box on the wall, the wires are green, which I understand to be the ground, red which may be the hot, and black which I believe is supposed to be hot but it’s connected to several other wires w/ a wire connector nut. 

JD

I think I found the problem, you're screwing around in the wall box rather than in the canopy of the fan! In theory, those wires from the Black run to the two separate circuits for the light and fan, but without testing it's hard to know exactly what's going on. If it were me I'd be taking off that wire nut and attaching them separately to the power and seeing what goes on when you turn it on!

A picture of the wires in the wall box might help. Also, lever clamp Wago push on connectors are awesome for screwing around like this, you don't have to use wire nuts.

3 hours ago, jjdbike said:

I wish I was in OC NJ! I hear this was one heck of a fall run. I’m in Oceanside CA. Opposite corner of the country.

I am taking a break from work today to go surf fishing. It’s a negative low tide tjis afternoon and I’m targeting a reef that I’m hoping Will be exposed and w/ in wading / casting distance. Looking for calico bass in the rocks and CA halibut on the periphery.

Oh damn! You used to be in Jersey, no? What brought you out there? 

I have a few buddies that do well out there but they're boat guys. They're a little further south down around SD.