snakebit95

How are the Mojo Inshore rods holding up?

Rate this topic

21 posts in this topic

I know this series had a lot of broken rods when they were revised in 2020. Are they still routinely breaking?  I am referring to the new green rods, not the purple/black rods.  

24 mins ago, snakebit95 said:

I know this series had a lot of broken rods when they were revised in 2020. Are they still routinely breaking?  I am referring to the new green rods, not the purple/black rods.  

That is a great question..

I snapped my purple mojo this year high sticking a 33 in bass and bought a green H Mojo inshore. I have gotten bass to 43 in on it pitching eels and around 12 tog jigging over 7 up to 10.6 lbs. I put a lot of heat on those tog and haven't had any issues. I got a lot of years out of that purple mojo...

Posted (edited)

I have 4 Mojos:

70MHF Inshore (SCIII/green)

70HF Inshore (SCII/purple)

610MLXF Bass (SCIII/purple)

10MMF Surf (SCII/purple)

All have been working fine.  No issues.

Only negative observations: 

I wish the 70MHF Inshore had a shorter butt, since it's one of my kayak rods.

I wish the 10MMF Surf wasn't quite as stiff as it is.  It feels more F than MF.

Other than that I like them.

Edited by Skunkoff

Well, I rolled the dice and picked up a couple of the 7’9” XHMF rods for some big striped bass/cat action in heavy river current. They were on sale and figure they could serve double duty when I travel to the Gulf. Hard to pass up for ~$130 each shipped; unless they break on the first trip. 

32 mins ago, Skunkoff said:

St. Croix CS is a good backup to have.

I own a lot of St. Croix rods; mostly USA-made models. Never have needed to use their customer service after many years of hard use. Seeing all of the negative reviews on the new inshore series kept me from trying them. After a few years, I would hope that a good company would resolve a design or production problem based on high rates of breakage. I guess sometimes failures on lower cost rod models could be user error from high sticking. It is hard to say, but I am going to find out. If they are a problem, I will simply change models through their upgrade program. Thanks again!!

2 hours ago, snakebit95 said:

I own a lot of St. Croix rods; mostly USA-made models. Never have needed to use their customer service after many years of hard use. Seeing all of the negative reviews on the new inshore series kept me from trying them. After a few years, I would hope that a good company would resolve a design or production problem based on high rates of breakage. I guess sometimes failures on lower cost rod models could be user error from high sticking. It is hard to say, but I am going to find out. If they are a problem, I will simply change models through their upgrade program. Thanks again!!

Yup I have quite a few too, and also have not had to use their CS.  But from what I've heard/read, they're some of the best in the business. 

I had a Mojo Inshore 7'6" MF break twice, both within the first hour it was fished and nothing on my side.  My dad was using the replacement from St Croix and it broke on the first schoolie literally the day after I got it back from warranty.  I had to pay the $50 warranty fee twice.  The third rod I got I put in the rack and have never used it.  Def soured me on this series and I absolutely adore the purple/black Mojos for sentimental reasons and have caught more albies on that 7'6" Mojo than any other rod.

Both my Avids and Legends have been great so I think it was just a bad run.  St Croix CS was great to deal with, every company has issues.

56 mins ago, Sailah said:

I had a Mojo Inshore 7'6" MF break twice, both within the first hour it was fished and nothing on my side.  My dad was using the replacement from St Croix and it broke on the first schoolie literally the day after I got it back from warranty.  I had to pay the $50 warranty fee twice.  The third rod I got I put in the rack and have never used it.  Def soured me on this series and I absolutely adore the purple/black Mojos for sentimental reasons and have caught more albies on that 7'6" Mojo than any other rod.

Both my Avids and Legends have been great so I think it was just a bad run.  St Croix CS was great to deal with, every company has issues.

I always hate hearing stories like this. Many times, we take friends / family fishing to make great memories, and the last thing you want to remember is how failed gear let the big one get-away. Or worse yet, how it resulted in a trip to the emergency room. I know stuff happens, but try my best to prevent it as much as possible. If a rod model / brand is having a lot of complaints, I normally avoid buying those. Thanks for the feedback!!

11 mins ago, snakebit95 said:

I always hate hearing stories like this. Many times, we take friends / family fishing to make great memories, and the last thing you want to remember is how failed gear let the big one get-away. Or worse yet, how it resulted in a trip to the emergency room. I know stuff happens, but try my best to prevent it as much as possible. If a rod model / brand is having a lot of complaints, I normally avoid buying those. Thanks for the feedback!!

Meh, I've broken $600 Century Weapons fishing the same water and matter.  I still have very high regards for St Croix as a company.  Every company is going to make a bad product but St Croix consistently makes things right and for that I'm willing to stick by them. 

Didn't dampen his spirits he was catching them on the fly previous to this.  And bonus he's an ER doc so no emergency room needed lol

20201020_080708.jpg.17cbadfaa3d395f73f5abf5ed82b005d.jpg

1 min ago, Sailah said:

Meh, I've broken $600 Century Weapons fishing the same water and matter.  I still have very high regards for St Croix as a company.  Every company is going to make a bad product but St Croix consistently makes things right and for that I'm willing to stick by them. 

Didn't dampen his spirits he was catching them on the fly previous to this.  And bonus he's an ER doc so no emergency room needed lol

20201020_080708.jpg.17cbadfaa3d395f73f5abf5ed82b005d.jpg

LOL - nice to have a doc onboard. Looks like he had a good laugh with that rod. I keep a pretty large first aid kit on my boat, and have removed quite a few hooks from various body parts while on the water to avoid losing a day of fishing. Had to take my FIL to the ER once to have a hook removed from his hand. He did not trust my handy work, so it ended the day early. He sure was whiney that day, and has not fished since. 

I have a 7 ft. I’ve had it about a year or so. No issues with it but I haven’t put it through too much abuse yet as I’m mostly using my surf gear. I really like the feel of it tho

I received my (2) mojo inshore rods yesterday. Really like the feel of them. Love the tip action on these XH rods. They will see their first workout this weekend on the river. With all of our recent rain, the heavy current should be a good test.