jjdbike

Meat injections for BBQ, Phosphates????

Rate this topic

17 posts in this topic

Hello fellow Q enthusiasts,

As I prepare for new next cook, which will be pork butt to start to stock the freezer in my new home, as always, I plan on injecting. As I do my research, I'm hearing about phosphates in injections for moisture retention. From the hip, adding phosphates doesn't sound very healthy, but I really have no idea. There is some good evidence that phosphates can have some benefits for meat products like moisture retention, color retention and extending shelf life. What I do not know is does it impact the flavor and does it have any negative health risks.

Commercial injection mixes often include phosphates, along w/ aded flavor. If one wanted to add phosphates to their injection, I wonder how you'd do it proportion wise and where you could source it.

Can you folks who know please share info on use of phosphate for injections?

Thanks in advance!
JD

Hey folks,

I suppose the chemical aspect of this thread turned people off. I understand. 

Though I’m super happy w/ the results of my smoked butts, I’ve been looking for a way to take the results to a new level.

Though I do not compete, I do pay attention to trends in competitive Q. I’ve noticed that many if not most of the commercially packaged injections include a good deal of phosphate, sone are nearly all phosphate. Phosphate has a number of benefits to food, the biggest one for BBQ is moisture retention. I’m well aware that competition & home Q are significantly different. 
On the cook I am doing a little experiment. I have 20lb of pork butt (i.e.2 butts). The package called for a teaspoon of phosphate for each lb of meat. I used 1/4 that. Also, neither my rubs or injections have any MSG in them. I decided to see if a little bit would make any noticeable . Again, I went w/ 1/4 the recommendation. The rest of my injection is Minors pork base, apple juice, dark brown sugar and a splash of hot sauce. I injected last night. 
This morning I got the stick burner set up. I slathered w/ yellow mustard and rubbed butts w/ combo of meat church honey hog and Texas sugar. It’s been on the pit for 2 hours & 45 mins at 275 bathed in clean cherry smoke.The bark already looks good. 

Ill keep you posted.

JD

I made a rookie mistake. In my search for good smoke wood in my new home in coastal SoCal I was afraid I’d need to pay to have sone shipped. I was so thrilled to find cherry cut to size w/in a 40 min drive, I forgot to ask how long it had been curing. I bout a 2 cubic foot sack of it. This morning I started my cook w/ leftover wood I brought from back east. That lasted about 46 mins. 4 hours in and I’m basically through that whole 2 cubic feet. I found out it had been curing the SoCal sun for 2 or more years. It was obviously waaaay tooo dry. I hope that doesn’t have a detrimental impact on the end product. I’m sure it’s not doing it any favors.

JD 

I’m to much of a purist for phosphates .., agreed bbq competitors inject phosphates but then I’m not in competition… I don’t do pork butt … I will do fresh ham …some folks do chop their fresh ham and use it the same as pork butt … it will be a little drier less fatty so will need more sauce or a thin gravy …. The last I read meat head from amazin ribs .com didn’t use phosphates … 

3 mins ago, Surf bomber said:

I’m to much of a purist for phosphates .., agreed bbq competitors inject phosphates but then I’m not in competition… I don’t do pork butt … I will do fresh ham …some folks do chop their fresh ham and use it the same as pork butt … it will be a little drier less fatty so will need more sauce or a thin gravy …. The last I read meat head from amazin ribs .com didn’t use phosphates … 

I knew he wrote about it, don’t remember where he stood. I have read someone was quoted as saying “it’s too Barry Bonds for them”. Like I said, only used 1/4 recommendated, & I think much of that didn’t resolve and got sifted / strained out.

I pulled from pit 5 hours in. Internal was 165. The back was solid. See pic below.

Now it’s in a pan w/ sone liquid and foiled in oven till probe tender. The towels, cooler, rest, pull. 
I’ll report back on quality of final product.

JD

0945B871-3645-4C44-82B8-30835535D736.jpeg

Looks good. Just used some of my cherry that getting a bit old. Smoked like a dumpster fire lol but not very long so seemed to even out.  Only a couple lumps. Turkey was fine. 

Thanks,

Oh wow, so the older wood smoked more? That's not what I would have expected unless it had some rot.I will say my overly dry cherry burned pretty clean, waaaay tooo fast, but clean. I was absolutely amazed at how much wood I went through. Like I said, I started w/ my leftovers I brought from PA, then went through 2 cubic feet of the dry cherry. The one caveat, I removed as much of the bark as I could. I don't love the smoke bark produces. 

As far as the final product, it was very moist, butter tender, and very flavorful. I attribute that to the rub and the injection. Can't be sure how much the tiny amount of MSG and phosphate contributed, as I didn't do one w/out as a comparison. In retrospect, that probably would have been a good idea. I just didn't feel like making up two different batches of injection.

In my opinion, pork butt benefits so much from the complex flavor of the smoke. I believe the sweetness of the cherry complements the natural sweetness of the pork. I also like it w/ hickory, but it's def a dif flavor. My wife who is very sensitive to smoke flavor, and doesn't prefer smoked foods, loves smoked pork butt. She also like smoked brisket, which I think also benefits greatly from smoke flavor, as does sausage. 

I look forward to trying several new recipes w/ this pork. I'm making pulled pork taquitos for a holiday cocktail party this Saturday. I'll let you all know how they turned out.

Best regards!

JD

I have never had a problem with moisture in pork butts.   I would think phosphates( I too have watched too many BBQ shows:)) woudl be most helpful for something that dries out. Just my 2 cents. 

They look good … I did bbq loin lamb chops  last night (they look like miniature t-bones ) over a extremely hot cherry wood fire last night in the Weber 22 … just rosemary ,garlic, red wine ,pepper marinade for a few hours and they were awesome …with a few adult beverages… 

On 12/7/2022 at 2:08 PM, jjdbike said:

I knew he wrote about it, don’t remember where he stood. I have read someone was quoted as saying “it’s too Barry Bonds for them”. Like I said, only used 1/4 recommendated, & I think much of that didn’t resolve and got sifted / strained out.

I pulled from pit 5 hours in. Internal was 165. The back was solid. See pic below.

Now it’s in a pan w/ sone liquid and foiled in oven till probe tender. The towels, cooler, rest, pull. 

JD

Man, That looks good! :drool: ...

Butch

6 hours ago, Midnightpass said:

Man, That looks good! :drool: ...

Butch

Thanks bud,

It was so moist, tender and flavorful. 
The KBQ makes amazing bark. Gotta admit, it requires baby sitting, adding wood every 20 mins (for best results). Thank goodness the fans / convention aspect, make the cook

shorter. Made pulled pork taquitos for neighborhood holiday party. Came out great.

Take care my friend.

PS, hope RVing went well.

JD

On 12/7/2022 at 5:08 PM, jjdbike said:

JD

Looks great, nice bark there.  I'm sure the final result will be awesome

Are those meater probes?

9 hours ago, Chunks said:

Looks great, nice bark there.  I'm sure the final result will be awesome

Are those meater probes?

Yes,

Hard to mess up pork butt. 
Yes, Meater Block. It works. 
JD