victorjg

Surf Fishing Rods vs Shore Jigging Rods

Rate this topic

11 posts in this topic

Posted (edited)

Hi:

I used to fish for years with surf rods from 9' up to 11' surf rods. Sometimes to reduce the fatigue and back pain with a  7.6" - 8' Inshore rod, the casting distance with this last one are no the same as the surf but it works.

Now I was reading and see many people around the world arevusing shore jigging fishing rods and they runs from mostly from 9' up to 12' long.

They seems to be lighter and flexible than the surf one's.

The reality is that I need a lightweight rod to fish alfrom shore and reduce the problem with the pain on my back. One of my new rods Im trying is the Dark Matter OB surf which is 10' long, really lightweight.  

Now talking about the shore jigging rods,  Asia, Australia, Africa, Spain ect.. are using this kind of rods, what are the biggest difference or similarities with the surf ones if any? 

Few fishermans in other forums from that area of the world are giving me advice to get one of those shore jigging rods and I will never going back to the surf ones. 

But I'm not sure about that..

someone can tell me if they're a good option? I used to fish with 25 braid line, 4000-5000 reels, and cast ½ up to 1.5 oz lures.

I will appreciate your advices! 

Thanks 

Victor Garcia

Puerto Rico

Edited by victorjg

Posted (edited)

Check out Menpachi tackle and fishing, this may be the size gear you are looking for. The Batson boys came from Hawaii, it would be a good start to pick their brains. They still build stuff for those light tackle markets you may not see in the catalog.

Edited by spoonplugger1

Posted (edited)

Hi

The predator.. believe it or not, the best rod I ever had. It snap at the joint. Can be fixed, but It will end shorter and the guide distribution will change. So, a lot of work to return this rod to life.. and isn't sure it works the same..

Edited by victorjg

Victor, the tips are lighter/more flexible to allow you to feel more and more importantly use the rod's flex and recovery to impart action to the jig.

The 25lb line you are using - what is it? Depending on its actual dia it may be a little heavy

Hi Victor---

The JDM rods you are referencing are perhaps a tad faster action and with a shorter butt or handle.  I have an early Daiwa Lateo Pirate 106M rated 10-40g and line 10-20 lb line.  I feel very comfortable leaning into .5-1.25 oz. when casting.  Paired up with a Stradic 4000 FI and 6 or 10 lb Performance braid it is a sweet combo for early season schoolies.  It is, however, a step lighter in lure weight rating than your Predator which was solid for casting 3/4-2 oz in my book.

Hi

Answering one of the questions,  the 25lb are the braid line I used to fish with. 

I understand the comment about the power and feeling of this shore jigging rods. 

What I looking for is a setup lightweight enough to cast several hours without hurt my back, but strong enough to fish Jack's, tarpons, snooks and many others. I know it will make the fight longer.. but a heavy setup is not any more for me..

Posted (edited)

On 07/12/2022 at 5:17 PM, victorjg said:

the 25lb are the braid line I used to fish with

I realize its the line you fish with, but what 25lb line is it?

My own 20lb line would be called 8lb line in the US, typical US spec 20lb would be called 35lb line here in SA.

My point is that line that is too thock kills distance and sensitivity with light lures.

Edited by ZAFisher

1 min ago, ZAFisher said:

I realize its the line you fish with, but what 25lb line is it?

My own 20lb line would be called 8lb line in the US, 20lb Powerpro would be called 35lb line here in SA.

My point is that line that is too thock kills distance and sensitivity with light lures.

Hi

What I mean is, I fish with a 20lb braid line. My reels are  Penns 4000 and 4500. 

Thanks

Victor 

I strongly suspect your line is too thick for what you want to do and will affect the feel and performance of your upcoming set up

A lot of the rods you are looking at are rated to PE1-PE2, (and of course you can use heavier line)

20lb Powerpro Super Slick (a good reference line) is PE3

15lb Sufix 832 is a PE3 too