biggstriper

Musky plugs

Rate this topic

27 posts in this topic

I bought a few 15 and 17 inch musky plugs this summer. I want to try them in the surf for stripers. Has anyone tried these? I'll try to post pics of the plugs when I get a chance.

Posted (edited)

There are lots of guys (including me) who use musky plugs for stripers.  There is a ton of crossover. The Doc was originally a musky plug.  I also regularly use the ERC Hellhound and Hell Puppy, the Bitten tackle Warlock and a couple of others I can't remember. The fish in my avatar was caught on a Westin glide which was originally designed for muskie/pike and other large freshwater species. As a matter of practice you should always change out the hooks to VMC/Mustad etc.  The freshwater hooks that come on most of these plugs are not intended for us in the salt.   

Edited by jesgord

Best one we’ve used is a Buechertail Depth Raider. Lip ground down to make it a shallower swimmer. Loaded with water for better performance and casting. 

19960B35-B43D-44D8-A36D-BAEF8DE8D783.jpeg

5 mins ago, 27conch said:

Can't imagine trying to carry a 17" plug to the beach and actually throwing it?

It’s tough. There are a few needles that are too long to carry in a bag.   Generally use them when I’m close to my vehicle or can keep/hide it on the shore behind me. 

THree sets of trebles..I am modifying everything I own down to one treble at best.

My plug builder was nice enough to modify his down to a single treble for me..

16 hours ago, DZ said:

Best one we’ve used is a Buechertail Depth Raider. Lip ground down to make it a shallower swimmer. Loaded with water for better performance and casting. 

19960B35-B43D-44D8-A36D-BAEF8DE8D783.jpeg

Great idea.   I'll definitely try this 

31 mins ago, Jayfish said:

Great idea.   I'll definitely try this 

Jayfish,

The straight models produced way better than the jointed models. This was the brainchild of my late casting partner Zeke Silva. We have taken bass into the 40-pound class using them.  Started using them maybe 25 years ago when Muskie plugs were way more expensive than saltwater plugs.   

I've used pounders for stripers over the years. I've had a lot of fish follow them in, but very few commit to it. 3-4 strikes, none landed.

I'm sure if I put more time in with them they would pay off, but why turn a striper into the fish of 10,000 casts when you don't have to.

1 hour ago, RWP said:

I've used pounders for stripers over the years. I've had a lot of fish follow them in, but very few commit to it. 3-4 strikes, none landed.

I'm sure if I put more time in with them they would pay off, but why turn a striper into the fish of 10,000 casts when you don't have to.

You're right. We had tried lots of different Muskie plugs over the years with pretty limited results. Then Zeke discovered the Depthraider, modified it, and we had a plug has produced big time. And the best thing is... nobody else was using them! 

Historically, lure fishing for bass was origninally limited to tins and "feathers," which were essentially bucktails.

After the Second World War, some innovative anglers brought muskie plugs to the coast and started catching bass on them, although the hardware wasn't really up to the task.  From that beginning, the first striped bass plugs of the late 1940s and early 1950s were born.

So throwing today's muske blugs is just a continuatijon of a near-70-year-old tradition.  What worked in the past works today.

As a young angler I got yelled at for "scareing the Bass for using Giant Jointed Pikie".

Posted (edited)

On 12/2/2022 at 1:25 PM, 27conch said:

Can't imagine trying to carry a 17" plug to the beach and actually throwing it?

I thought they might be hard to cast too. I took them to a local river and they cast good enough for the surf. 

I think they might be pretty good around this time of the year if the bigger mackeral show up. The cows regularly eat large blackfish- just so you know.

Edited by biggstriper

Posted (edited)

On 12/3/2022 at 2:08 PM, XBMX said:

As a young angler I got yelled at for "scareing the Bass for using Giant Jointed Pikie".

Same guy that yelled at you yelled at me? 

He’s not a fan of crash landings. 

Edited by ReelSharp

On 12/3/2022 at 1:10 PM, DZ said:

You're right. We had tried lots of different Muskie plugs over the years with pretty limited results. Then Zeke discovered the Depthraider, modified it, and we had a plug has produced big time. And the best thing is... nobody else was using them! 

You ever try the shallowraider?  I've caught many stripers on it.  Also, MI stuff.  Shallow invaders are top notch in the spring.