Big Biscuit

Winter White Perch?

Rate this topic

10 posts in this topic

Anyone fish for white perch during the winter months? I just saw an article by on the water that got me interested in giving it a shot. I was just wondering on what to use for bait. The article says they like grass shrimp but that it might hard to find them at tackle shops this time of year. As for artificials I can use the same small Rapala's I use for trout 2" curly tail grubs on 1/16 - 1/8 oz ball style jig heads. Small swim shads on the same jig heads, hair jigs, and maribu jigs too. If you have any advice, old tricks, techniques you'd like to share feel free to answer. Hell if you'd like to get together and give it a go let me know we could meet up on a weekend and give it a go. I get a little restless in the winter and need to get out of my house. Pat S. I'm looking at you. :naughty:

Menhaden oil & instant oatmeal in a drop net gets me LOTS grass shrimp.  Even a minnow trap works too. 

Bloodworms work.  If you can't get them fresh, some shops sell frozen; while they're not quite as good as fresh, they will do.  That's what I used years ago when I lived in Cos Cob.

White perch, I use 1/8oz jig head, kietech swimbaits, light rod, 12lb mono leader with 20lb braid.

I fed one to a bald eagle once, he was eyeing me. 
Tommy

I'm gonna try and fish more tidal rivers in the future.  Hopefully I can squirrel out some quiet spots.   

I've been thinking that white perch being so similar to stripers, that miniaturized striper bait rigs would be ok. 

Small cut baits & small circle hooks.  

Just wishy washy on the tackle setup.  They (WP) don't get all that big, but stripers & catfish may also be present. 

I was gifted a 8.5ft Ugly Stik last year from another SOL'r. I think its a med weight, but has a nice soft action for throwing baits. I used it last summer with a 710z & 15lb mono with pretty good success.  I just respooled it with 14lb Fireline Crystal.    

Should stand up to a slot striper or channel cat if I happen upon on. 

i was catching them on small jigs for striped bass last year, 3/8 jig head and a 3" shad body.  They had no problems taking them, def dont over think it.

Been pretty mild weather so far.  Im hopin to get out this weekend. 

I found a shop that stocks minnows all year plus all the worms & maggoty baits one could want. 

I was thinking a floating jighead & minnow would work plus be considered a "lure" if I hooked a slot striper.  

I don't usually keep stripers, but they taste really good this time of year.