luckyOC

Delmarva Fishin' Reports - December 2022

Rate this topic

13 posts in this topic

As always, this is the place for your reports... as little or as much detail as you care to share, with hopefully a good bit less focus posted on exact spots, times, and locations. Any and all word from the local waters welcome here, and "no fish" reports are welcome as well; always good to have gotten out there at least, wasn't it? 

;)

Posted (edited)

I second that.  Red hake are delicious - taste  like a cross between oyster and croaker :-).   And I caught a striper on a head.

Edited by Steve Coleman

Many years ago, 1995 I think? The we (the wife, myself, two kids, and my Mom) were in o.c. for a week in summer. August I think. Anyway my son was 8 at the time, I had taken him on boats before. 

We had booked a trip on the O.C. Princess, Monty Hawkins was the captain then. First it was going to be my son and I. My mom was having none of it and said she was coming with us. Late afternoon the day before our reservation a small craft warning was posted. Supposed to be weather on our day to fish.

Couldn't talk my Mom out of it, she was going. I'm worried about it, we get to the boat and Monty says don't worry weathermen don't know crap. We get offshore and it's a big lake, never seen the ocean like that, probably never will again. 

Anyway what a beautiful day! Monty put us on pollock and hake. We caught a cooler full of hake. Slimy like a catfish! 

We were in 100' of water if memory serves, we would drop down and be hooked up. My son sat down and balanced the rod on the rail. All day he would drop down, hook up, put his head down and start reeling up. Mates would walk down the rail and bend down while lifting up his rod to pass by. He still gives me grief about a big pollock he had on and to the surface that dropped off as I was swinging it over haha.

Never forget it my Mom was gone a few months later. 

On 12/5/2022 at 4:13 PM, allen sklar said:

Fished  today.......water looked good, plenty of structure.....I never had a nibble..... though the crabs were still here....

A little disconcerting...given the glowing reports I keep reading of the epic fall its been on the beaches up in Jersey.....

15 hours ago, Esoxhunter said:

We get offshore and it's a big lake, never seen the ocean like that, probably never will again. 

Aboard a carrier, crossing the Atlantic in the late 60’s, I witnessed the ocean as smooth as a sheet of glass. Not a swell, not a ripple…… it was down right spooky. 

1 hour ago, Catskill John said:

Aboard a carrier, crossing the Atlantic in the late 60’s, I witnessed the ocean as smooth as a sheet of glass. Not a swell, not a ripple…… it was down right spooky. 

Saw it like that once in the Washington canyon.  Glass.  Not a whisp of wind.  On the way back hit 5-7 seas about 20 miles out.  Can change quickly out there.

2 hours ago, Catskill John said:

I have seen the same conditions. I was in the merchant marines for 3 years after I came home from the army. We were about 150 miles out, ocean was like a sea of glass, It was cool when a flying fish would break the water surface. 

Looks like beginning Jan 4 you can pay for the OSV permit online.

You still have to pick it up at the ranger station within 10 days of paying but should make the process a little faster I guess.

Fished AI/MD Saturday 12/10 with my brother.  Fished frozen Bunker and eels all day.  We had to walk over as the OSV was closed.  Not a nibble, but a great day casting and hoping.  I may give Sand Bridge a try in January in my desperation to get a line in. I had my best one day fishing this year with 5 big Blues, a big Red, a big Black, a bunch of Southern King Fish and a 5+ foot Shark.  Now I need to beat that next year. Met a couple of folks from the site and that was really nice.  And thanks again to the Man who pulled me out Saturday October 22.  First time I've been stuck in almost a hundred runs, he turned an ugly into a fun story.  Merry Christmas everyone.