Rob A

Diving for gold

Rate this topic

18 posts in this topic

I usually fish my local south shore inlet.  I've lost dozens of bucktails and bank sinkers over the years.  Of course, I'm not the only one.  There must be hundreds of them down there.  Always been tempted to dive in and try to find some of these lost bucktails.  Obviously while no one was fishing, during the summer, and at slack tide.  Anyone ever done this or saw someone doing this?    

There's some vids about some FD divers that do cleanups in inlets around Jersey in their freetime.

Check YT by searching some of the well-known inlet names attached to "diving" or "cleanup".

Good title; got to be a fortune in lead down there

When I used to dive I would pick up a lot of lead.  If you go to local fishing flea markets, a lot of time you will see FDs or dive clubs selling salvaged lead.

While i would volunteer to help folks on the South Shore trout river here, i can’t help myself from grabbing a fly box practically full of flies to give the participants to take home.  The branches overhanging some of those beats are like a fly shop, lol. I generally don't have to get wet collecting them, either. 

There are salt a few salt water spots where i know certain rocks have a dozen $ plugs. It has crossed my mind..

7 hours ago, Rob A said:

I usually fish my local south shore inlet.  I've lost dozens of bucktails and bank sinkers over the years.  Of course, I'm not the only one.  There must be hundreds of them down there.  Always been tempted to dive in and try to find some of these lost bucktails.  Obviously while no one was fishing, during the summer, and at slack tide.  Anyone ever done this or saw someone doing this?    

I'm a certified diver. If your really thinking about doing this, I hope your a certified diver as well and go the extra nine yards to get your night dive navigation certification. 

I had people in my group bug out on the night dive. We had to grab him, keep him down and bring him up at the shore lines edge.  We did our night dive in the Manasquan inlet, NJ.

Boat Marina GIF by dockwa

boat fail GIF

6 hours ago, Saltfruit said:

There's some vids about some FD divers that do cleanups in inlets around Jersey in their freetime.

Check YT by searching some of the well-known inlet names attached to "diving" or "cleanup".

I would say hardly worth the effort. If you recycle the the lead great. You can get lead for free from any tire/automotive shop.

A bucktail that has been in the water even for a short period of time is useless as the hook will be compromised.

11 hours ago, LowEnd said:

I would say hardly worth the effort. If you recycle the the lead great. You can get lead for free from any tire/automotive shop.

A bucktail that has been in the water even for a short period of time is useless as the hook will be compromised.

Sale of lead wheel weights has been outlawed in NY for years, all tin now. Still some old stock around but dwindling. I agree the bucktails will be useless.

47 mins ago, surfrat59 said:

Sale of lead wheel weights has been outlawed in NY for years, all tin now. Still some old stock around but dwindling. I agree the bucktails will be useless.

Tin or zinc??  Never seen tin. 

More than a few years ago I lost a more than favorite jointed swimmer after a fish took it down in the rocks next to the jetty. The next day was a full moon low tide with bright sun and no wind. I donned my bathing suit, mask and an old pair of sneakers, I had to find it. I found a bunch of  other plugs and bucktails right away but no jointed swimmer. Then while swimming around some boulders a big white thing came right at me and scared the s+++ out of me. It was my sneaker, end of dive and that plug.

Cool thing about diving for lead is that if its somewhere that sees strong enough currents the sinkers will mass in a pile and wont be scattered about. (same effect of when you see piles of dark sand or shell hash on the beach).