FoliFish

Conventional/Casting Rod 7-8'??

Rate this topic

16 posts in this topic

Posted (edited)

Anyone with a recommendation for a 1-piece 7-8' conventional/casting rod?  Looking for something with a lure rating of 1-4 or something close.  Will be boat use with a Calcutta for drifting eels or live pogies mainly.  Might throw a big plug with it occasionally too.  Hoping to find a factory rod, and sub 200 bucks will be nice.  

Edited by FoliFish

37 mins ago, FoliFish said:

Anyone with a recommendation for a 1-piece 7-8' conventional/casting rod?  Looking for something with a lure rating of 1-4 or something close.  Will be boat use with a Calcutta for drifting eels or live pogies mainly.  Might throw a big plug with it occasionally too.  Hoping to find a factory rod, and sub 200 bucks will be nice.  

Shimano Teramar is a great rod for under $200

The PCH are great rods have a few heavier ones so can't speak of any in that weight class, I've never used the teramar but heard great things

Really like my buddies jigging world nexus and they're pretty affordable(sub $150 I believe) used that live lining this year on his boat, he has a 7' but I believe they have a 7'6" as well

Thanks for the input guys.  I’ve been hearing a lot about the JW Nexus and will have to check them out.  
I’m a fan of most Shimano products so will have to find some Teremar to check out.   

On 12/1/2022 at 11:11 AM, FoliFish said:

Maybe something in Okuma's lineup?

HH

Posted (edited)

I use a 7HF Mojo Inshore (SCII) with a Penn Squall from the kayak.  It's only rated to 2oz, but works great for me.  Maybe check out their musky rods too.

Edited by Skunkoff

Fenwick makes a nice 7 footer…used it on a boat and doubled as a surf caster with a diawa grand wave 20 …handled the fluke and blues without a problem

If your looking for something cheaper with good casting capabilities, I have been really enjoying using a catfish rod from a company called Fiblink from that prime online site. cat fishing rods are basically made to throw 8 and bait and they are built shorter (due to casting around trees) and targeting #50 fish. So they fit the bill

anyways, I have a 7ft version that is rated for 1 to 10oz that I use for certain areas in the inlet. (I don’t have a boat) 

I really like this rod, casts like a dream and one of my favorite shorter rods. It’s strong and has a REALLY nice reel seat and handle. Check out the pic! The guides are ss which I like cause they are durable. No ceramic inserts..  I use mono so it’s all good, but idk how braid is with ss guides.  Sensitivity is good , as long as your not expecting a 300$ rod! 

Anyways, I really like the rod, in-fact I have a couple of Fiblink rods and I like them all! A majority of the other rods are surf rods. The rods all run in the 50$ range too - so you can’t beat that!!! 885D455F-90B1-476F-BA45-258E70FC8D59.jpeg.fb9590bda3c87f2f53dd2189b7fd226f.jpeg

You can’t go wrong with the Fiblink rods!

Yeah Yeah , everybody says cheap Chinese crap, well I use the living crap out of these rods and they don’t disappoint at all!

I’ve turned quite a few buddies on to these rods, and not one of them has complained to me!

I have a Fiblink 4 pc. Sapphire travel rod rated 4-8oz with an Abu 6500 that I can throw 10oz on if I really want to behind the seat of my truck at all times!

I actually dropped a 13’ 2 pc. moonsniper the other day, I thought for sure all the guides would’ve popped out or the blank might’ve cracked, NOPE…!!!

Only the tip top cracked and that was because it smacked the side of my truck before it landed on the concrete lol!

I drove right over to the bait shop and got a tip and was back in action 25 minutes later lol!

What happens is, as the guides break you put Fuji guides on there, then you wind up having a really good rod in a few years lol!

The warranty is also very good with the Fiblink company as well, they will mail you out a new rod normally, with very little questions and pretty fast too!

I slammed the top half in my truck door and told them this and that I wanted to buy a new top half and they sent me a new rod for shipping cost!

I do the same thing with my Tica TC2 rods, I really love these reasonably priced Japanese blanks, but again cheap guides that eventually get replaced with Fuji’s one at a time!

I just replaced and reconfigured all of the guides on my spinning 9’ Tica TC2 2-6oz snd I honestly can’t believe the difference, like a totally different rod, cast better now and lighter as well too!

I just happen to be looking for another 8-9’ conventional for heavy lures and will be ordering another Tica or Fiblink, possibly the same one @Mr.Belmar has above, because I love blue lol!

EA

Thanks @ExcessiveAngler 

and yes I gotta agree- the customer service is top notch! That’s a main reason I keep coming back! They back their products, I too have also had a rod replaced under the warranty 

and yea, I also agree the surf rods are amazing, it’s pretty much all I use! I have a bunch of them, stoked to hear that your using them too… they really feel like a much more expensive rod and look great too. 

hey EA- if you like blue, check out the Super Monster model surf rod, it’s all blue and the handle on that one isn’t blue but I like how they wrapped it with grip. 

anyways- for the price they are worth a try, you cant go wrong! 

I have a Star rod. I don’t remember the rating. My Penn 970 wouldn’t fit reel seat. Going to see if my small Avet fits it. I currently have a Quantum bait caster on it. 

Since it is the Christmas season and the family needed some "ideas" for me, I went over budget and ordered a Crowder Rod (Sportsman series).  I've always been a fan of their light tackle stuff and still have a few that I picked up 15 or so years ago.  Thanks for all the input guys!