Reel Suggestions?

Rate this topic

TheClamGovernor

I have a 10 ft 3/4-4 oz Striped Bass Special for black hole. I unfortunately don’t have the money for a VS nor will I be fishing so much with the rod that I will need one. Does anyone have some suggestions on a good reel and size to pair? Thanks in advance. I will be throwing plugs with the rod

Edited by TheClamGovernor

1 min ago, GrahamN said:

Saragossa 6-8k

I personally would go with the 8 

A lot of size comes down to personal preference 

I know people who fish a 6k on an 11 ft surf rod and I know folks who fish a 5-6k on inshore rods 

I have an 8k on another 10 ft for chunking and it’s huge. I know penns are larger reels for the most part, would the difference be significant? I don’t want to over size too much

2 mins ago, TheClamGovernor said:

I have an 8k on another 10 ft for chunking and it’s huge. I know penns are larger reels for the most part, would the difference be significant? I don’t want to over size too much

I can't speak much for Penn but there are some brands that have funky sizing 

Easiest way to see what fits is to find a local tackle shop that will let you try out some reels on your rod in the store or parking lot 

Your next best bet is to compare weights and line capacity of what you're looking at vs your current reels you w got experience with 

A 6k Saragossa is only 16 ounces and will hold roughly 300 yds of 30 lb braid 

Where an 8 k is closer to 24 ounces and will hold roughly 350 yards of 40 lb braid 

Unfortunately for a lot of reels there's a bit of a gap in size around the size you would really want on a lighter 10 ft setup like what you've got ( I take back my statement the 6k will likely be a better fit imo for what you're putting it on  the 8k will likely be a bit big  looking at actual numbers)

6k should still handle nearly anything you throw at it 

5 hours ago, TheClamGovernor said:

A 6000 Saragosa is similar to a 4500 sized penn.  An 8500 Penn is closer to like a 12000 shimano, roughly.

I prefer peace. But if trouble must come, let it come in my time, so that my children can live in peace.

I have 2 6K Saragosa reels (one current generation and one prior generation) + a 10K current generation 'Gosa and really like all of them, The 6K is of a size that can cover a couple of bases...Too me, the 6K is a little heavy/big for a schoolie/bonito/albie reel but a bit small for heavy type fishing...but if you are on a more casual outing where you just want to poke around, with no real focus, a gosa 6K on a 9 footer is the outfit I'd throw in the car where I could throw stuff at albies then plug for bass after dark...it's also the outfit I'd recommend to someone who was looking for the closest thing to a 'do it all' outfit (although I don't believe that actually exists)

Edited by albacized