BillHoo

The forbidden herring - Blueback and Alewife status?

Rate this topic

8 posts in this topic

It's been about 10 years since the moratorium on fishing River herring (blueback and alewive).

Has anyone seen and status on whether the stocks have rebounded?

I think the last study report was in 2017.

The little bit of information I saw didn't leave me feeling all warm and fuzzy about the status of River herring.

So long as ASMFC continues their assessment that atlantic menhaden "is not overfished and overfishing is not occuring" :rolleyes: , the river herrings will continue to take the brunt of the predator biomass. Removing obstacles and improving water quality is only part of the equation.  Let the bunker have a chance to rebound with a 100% cut in the reduction harvest(lolz 10% :dismay:) , not accepting guesstimated landing numbers, then hopefully it's not too late in taking the predator pressure off the river herrings...

On the Raritan looks like they ran out of money for the shad and herring monitoring. The herring stats were below expectations, shad was okay but not amazing. 

unfortunately we only know what the asmfc ,noaa,ect. tells us for all we know herring could be right back to what they were 20 yrs ago but they say there not, so we gotta go with it..like picking through cod when out haddock fishing..good chance its not what it was 20 yrs ago but doubt its as bad as they tell us. menhadens another one they say theres plenty but i see less each yr in the river i fish when their used to be football field sized schools swimming by ..ty Ark bait, boat should be banned.(thats whole other topic there) so basically like everything else the gov has to do with...we only" know " what they tell us and have to go  with it. i highly doubt we'll ever be allowed herring again because by their numbers, herring counts will always be low ..no money in it for them to have high numbers

Posted (edited)

It’s hard to tell the diff between the Shad’s and herrings. 

Edited by jeffapeikin