Pickerel92

Quick Coat of Spray Paint

Rate this topic

21 posts in this topic

Does anyone have opinions on throwing a coat of spray paint over beat up plugs, or plugs with colors that you just don’t have confidence in? 
 

In the past I’ve never really found the need for it, I’d rather just fish bare wood or plastic on an old plug. But now I’m considering throwing a coat of a color that seemed to shine this year on a few plugs.

 

My biggest concern is that the smell of the spray paint would be a major turn off for bass. I’ve noticed the smell can linger for a long time, or almost never really go away.

 

Curious what everyone’s thoughts are on this. Do you think a quick rattle can coat is a good tool in the toolbox or a waste of a good plug?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 mins ago, SC said:

Did it for decades, so did everybody else. Caught plenty of times within minutes of painting

Good to know that you felt confident with it- what would cause you to change the color of the plug in the field? Were you applying the “hot” color for that night or were you trying to make something happen on a slow

night?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 min ago, Pickerel92 said:

Good to know that you felt confident with it- what would cause you to change the color of the plug in the field? Were you applying the “hot” color for that night or were you trying to make something happen on a slow

night?

Always to paint a needed color. I often ordered plain white backs without clear top coat so I can paint what I need when I need it

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 mins ago, SC said:

Always to paint a needed color. I often ordered plain white backs without clear top coat so I can paint what I need when I need it

Good to know. One more question, haha. 
 

Would you feel as confident spray-painting a plug on a night when there wasn’t an active body of fish that was keyed in on color?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 min ago, Pickerel92 said:

Good to know. One more question, haha. 
 

Would you feel as confident spray-painting a plug on a night when there wasn’t an active body of fish that was keyed in on color?

 I had no issues with fresh paint under any circumstances. I always carried a dozen cans in the truck

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Pickerel92 said:

Does anyone have opinions on throwing a coat of spray paint over beat up plugs, or plugs with colors that you just don’t have confidence in? 
 

In the past I’ve never really found the need for it, I’d rather just fish bare wood or plastic on an old plug. But now I’m considering throwing a coat of a color that seemed to shine this year on a few plugs.

 

My biggest concern is that the smell of the spray paint would be a major turn off for bass. I’ve noticed the smell can linger for a long time, or almost never really go away.

Hit em with Rustoleum primer. Its made with fish oil. For the best results fish em before they dry......:laugh:

 

Curious what everyone’s thoughts are on this. Do you think a quick rattle can coat is a good tool in the toolbox or a waste of a good plug?

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, SC said:

 I had no issues with fresh paint under any circumstances. I always carried a dozen cans in the truck

Agreed have spray painted jigs at night as well - what every it takes

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Another who was successful with spray cans. I'll bet Shrink Tubing would work as well plus no dry time.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to register here in order to participate.

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.