slip n slide

NFC rod blanks sale

Rate this topic

28 posts in this topic

North Fork Composites is a rod builder affiliated w/ Gary Loomis,and,as I understand, the rods are all by his design.Even though he's never built a blank or so much as a rod he's got no small cred in that dept for his designs.Many are similar to some of his classic Loomis line and are labeled as such.

I bought a graphite and a glass blank last year.The glass was as "meh" as most glass but the graphite was very nice;light for it's length,crisp,snappy action for a rod as long as it is,unfinished/unsanded blank( you can "tune" the rod by sanding,ie,more off the tip for delicacy or more off the butt/mid for deeper flex, etc...),true to line weight and has landed some sizable fish w/ an easy authority.It is an 11' 6wt that actually prefers a 160-175gr line.It can be spey cast as well but performs well as a SH OH and knocks out a 60' rollcast w/ ease...just don't push it,it'll do all the work w/o much effort.I'm going for the same in an 8 wt for casting the great lakes surf for trout.  

Most of their blanks go for $175-275 but they're on sale right now at $75 w/ free shipping(normally $35).Their premium line of rod blanks go for $450+ and are also on sale @ around  %50 off.

$75 for the blank,some REC's,25 cork rings and a reelseat and I got an awesome,new rod for under $150! 

I bought one of their glass blanks a couple weeks ago. Never built a rod so depending on how this goes (if it goes) it could be a one and done or another rabbit hole.

I was under the impression tha  North Fork Composites rolls blanks and that Edge Rods is the rod builder/factory  that builds on NFC blanks.

Built one of the sale blanks last season...LMX FAF908. Nice for the price, good ferrule fits, reminds me of the GL3 or first GLX. Throws a true 8wt plus 1/2 line up, more than that not ideal, for the price very nice.

1 hour ago, surfrat59 said:

Built one of the sale blanks last season...LMX FAF908. Nice for the price, good ferrule fits, reminds me of the GL3 or first GLX. Throws a true 8wt plus 1/2 line up, more than that not ideal, for the price very nice.

hugely impressed w/ ferrule fit,the 11' stays tight all day,same in a Sage needs re-aligned 3-4X/day

19 hours ago, slip n slide said:

North Fork Composites is a rod builder affiliated w/ Gary Loomis,and,as I understand, the rods are all by his design.Even though he's never built a blank or so much as a rod he's got no small cred in that dept for his designs.

Not sure I understand what you're trying to say Slip, but he's built umpteen thousands of blanks and quite a few rods himself.  Before he started GLoomis, he built rods out of his garage.  A very long and interesting story how he got started in the business and how he got to where he is today.  

11 hours ago, ZAFisher said:

I was under the impression tha  North Fork Composites rolls blanks and that Edge Rods is the rod builder/factory  that builds on NFC blanks.

That is correct ZAFisher.  

24 mins ago, slip n slide said:

hugely impressed w/ ferrule fit,the 11' stays tight all day,same in a Sage needs re-aligned 3-4X/day

Eff sage

13 hours ago, DAQ said:

I bought one of their glass blanks a couple weeks ago. Never built a rod so depending on how this goes (if it goes) it could be a one and done or another rabbit hole.

Wrapping guides is no big deal, some D thread, a cardboard box with "V" cuts for the rod, a big book with a few sinkers on top to supply tension to the thread, easy peasy.  Coat the thread with clear nail polish ... or Gorilla Clear Glue (my choice these dayze).  Shrink wrap the rod butt end, push on a rubber rod butt, and use electrical tape to fit on a Fuji Plate reel seat. 

Posted (edited)

15 mins ago, bmac said:

Not sure I understand what you're trying to say Slip, but he's built umpteen thousands of blanks and quite a few rods himself.  Before he started GLoomis, he built rods out of his garage.  A very long and interesting story how he got started in the business and how he got to where he is today.  

That is correct ZAFisher.  

I was lucky enough to meet him and buy a rod directly from them when they were working out of the garage. It’s not a fly rod, but I still have it somewhere and likely one of the first G Loomis rods made.

A friend was one of the first G Loomis employees so we got to try out and buy a lot of different types of rods back then when fishing together.

SF

Edited by Stonefish

1 hour ago, BeachBob said:

Wrapping guides is no big deal, some D thread, a cardboard box with "V" cuts for the rod, a big book with a few sinkers on top to supply tension to the thread, easy peasy.  Coat the thread with clear nail polish ... or Gorilla Clear Glue (my choice these dayze).  Shrink wrap the rod butt end, push on a rubber rod butt, and use electrical tape to fit on a Fuji Plate reel seat. 

BB,

You are in the flyfishing forum.

Aesthetics count a little bit here.

24 mins ago, ZAFisher said:

BB,

You are in the flyfishing forum.

Aesthetics count a little bit here.

To each their own, Mr. ZAF.

4 hours ago, BeachBob said:

Gorilla glue and plate seat for a fly rod…. Sounds awesome. 

Damm, BeachBob is it really that easy? I have looked on youtube on building a rod and I know I am not going to spend the money to buy all the equipment to build one, but some cheap homemade hack to build a rod, I might give it a go once duck season is over in January- I am not huge on Aesthetics if the rod works and is only for me to bang around with. 

1 min ago, jerseystriper said:

Damm, BeachBob is it really that easy? I have looked on youtube on building a rod and I know I am not going to spend the money to buy all the equipment to build one, but some cheap homemade hack to build a rod, I might give it a go once duck season is over in January- I am not huge on Aesthetics if the rod works and is only for me to bang around with. 

a rod turner for a smooth,level finish on the guides and a tension device for thread are the only specific tools you "need" and the thread tensioner can be improvised