jtwfish

Large Flies-Transport and storage.

Rate this topic

17 posts in this topic

Recently got into using more large flies - bucktails, flat wings, articulated beasts, etc.-these things take a long time to tie and just seeem to get wrecked and unfortunately not from fish.

Was wondering how others carry them around when wading and using from shore. How do you keep them straight and from tangling together. Have tried ziplocks in carry satchel but they always seem to get curved, tangled, or wet and rusty.

Thanks in advance for the ideas

Posted (edited)

You may find some answers to your questions in the "Does anyone have non obvious storage? " thread started on this Forum on March 15, 2021.

And welcome to SOL where you'll find a bunch of.... (oups! almost wrote "guys"!) persons willing to help and share. 

Edited by Suave
Omission

Search "Weekend DIY fly box" here.  A general idea is to use search function before posting a really common question like this one.  You will get less s--t from people if you do that, trust me...

There is not a fly box out there presently that will hold a beast fly without completely squishing it.

Only way that I could see you transport these would be to place in large plastic bags and then lay them flat in a box. Flatwings you can store in a large Cliff box.   I used to store all my flies back in the day in plastic bag sleeves as I hated how the old style foam boxes would not hold flies well.  The new slit style foam is better...

Unless I’m fishing a scenario that’s specifically going to require large flies,I have one beast on me pretty much at all times and it get stuck into my hat. Great place for it to dry, I use barbless hooks so it goes in and out easily, and it’s always there if I need it. This is what I’ve found works best for me. 

When I carry multiple large flies and am not on a boat to keep them in my fly box, they go in a long zip lock, similar to those that fly tying companies store bucktails in. Sure, fibers get all out of sorts, but they quickly return to where I tied them in once they’re in the water. 

Thanks Suave and Kiliefish for the specific search referrals. Incredible amount of ideas there.

I did a quick search before and did not see those.

I think keeping organized and easy to have at hand when out wading was really what I’m trying to do. In the kayak or boat I have room for boxes and can keep in a big waterproof bag. When out in the water or on the beach, I’m always getting wet.  As Mike Oliver said, getting wet is inevitable.

Going to get some longer zip locks and a wallet type holder to keep them together. Then maybe try a sling pack to keep hem together with a few other things. In summer lots can go in my shirt pockets but not so suited up in wetsuit 

Also, the idea to keep the used flies in a separate bag to rinse and dry later is something I will try to do. Makes a lot of sense.

Great ideas folks. Thank you for sharing.

Check out school supplies in the big box stores or art supplies in Michaels, Hobby Lobby etc.  Some of the pencil boxes and brush boxes are the right dimensions, and they're cheap, though not particularly durable.  Cut and glue some closed cell foam inserts, and you're in business.  

Posted (edited)

I have been using some small tackle boxes for flatwings. i dont fish beast flies or anything bigger than a flatwing. The foam strips work ok but periodically come unstuck.  the 2.0 version might be a thin strip of wood wedged into the box with magnets embeded.. a large magnet mounted would make an excellent drying station.

To echo notes in these threads, it seems most carry only a few large flies into the field and simpler is often better.

Edited by puppet

Two methods I use.I find old clear VCR tape boxes.Bend a single edge razor blade and shave out the rings that would line up the vcr tape.Buy a sheet of ripple foam[bears den] and cut strips to mount inside.Measure the length of the hook shaft and place the strip accordingly,Also do it on the lid.Placing a full piece inside a waste.The clear box you don't have to open to see what's indide.On big flies I use poly bags from "Royal Bag" .Wet flies[used] get placed in a larger bag and rinsed at the end of the trip and layed out to dry.Too much invested in time and materials to just leave them jammed up.Just do it when you wash out the gear you wore.I've tried the big boxes when wading and it's just too much stuff to lug around[for me].I've found that I use about 10% of all the stuff I bring.No more chest or sling packs unless I know I'm out on a very extended "mission".

On 11/28/2022 at 10:31 PM, jtwfish said:

Thanks Suave and Kiliefish for the specific search referrals. Incredible amount of ideas there.

I did a quick search before and did not see those.

I think keeping organized and easy to have at hand when out wading was really what I’m trying to do. In the kayak or boat I have room for boxes and can keep in a big waterproof bag. When out in the water or on the beach, I’m always getting wet.  As Mike Oliver said, getting wet is inevitable.

Going to get some longer zip locks and a wallet type holder to keep them together. Then maybe try a sling pack to keep hem together with a few other things. In summer lots can go in my shirt pockets but not so suited up in wetsuit 

Also, the idea to keep the used flies in a separate bag to rinse and dry later is something I will try to do. Makes a lot of sense.

Great ideas folks. Thank you for sharing.

JTW,

An option that might help is using ziplock bags and then put them in an Expanding Folder.    The larger size is about right to put in some of these large flies, say one or two per fly, in the "Accordion Folder" type.  They're inexpensive and will work in the salt environment.

Can't upload the specific URL's but this may help:

HT

folder1.jpg.db3584253981ebeec236be74b42e775e.jpg

folder2.jpg.323a769df217e8906b7f7b0cc65add15.jpg

folder3.jpg.fbe2a46791a1b75beaf11379dc31f14c.jpg

If you're looking to make a DIY storage solution, consider starting with a Waterproof, single compartment box, then install a shoulder strap to it so you can carry it and simply flip it behind you while fishing. 

6388ee3c48843_Screenshot2022-12-011_10_20PM.png.fe4bbf1befa8a25bd949fa3c91df1154.png

These types of boxes run about $55 presently and they can be ordered online very easily. Once you get the box, simply cut some 1/2" thick foam of choice and glue it in. The 4 1/5" depth of a box like this allows you to install foam not only on the bottom of the box, but also on the lid, thereby giving you 2 x storage and the flies mounted in the lid don't get tangled with flies on the bottom. It's long enough to handle up to 12" saltwater flies and you get several rows of them. For larger flies, this type of solution is hard to beat. 

You could also go to an extra large clear envalope solution but larger flies inevitably  will "curl." You can remove "curl" by steaming flies btw. Steam straightens both hair and syntetic that develop a set. 

For smaller flies, storage is a lot easer. I like the clear, simple, non-waterproof hinged boxes. 

Black and shadow thanks. Those boxes seem small. 
hilltop I thank you for way to carry those envelopes. 
gary- great idea to make a bigger storage box. I have a burger barn thing but I find it big except in a boat.  
may just have to make a shirt/ coat with bigger pockets or front access- like lee Wolff designing a vest. Pullover with top kangaroo pouch that’s waterproof but doesn’t stick out to far. Maybe slanted to the sides. Anybody else hate that not even a cased eyephone fits in a shirt pocket??

2 hours ago, CaryGreene said:

If you're looking to make a DIY storage solution, consider starting with a Waterproof, single compartment box, then install a shoulder strap to it so you can carry it and simply flip it behind you while fishing. 

6388ee3c48843_Screenshot2022-12-011_10_20PM.png.fe4bbf1befa8a25bd949fa3c91df1154.png

These types of boxes run about $55 presently and they can be ordered online very easily. Once you get the box, simply cut some 1/2" thick foam of choice and glue it in. The 4 1/5" depth of a box like this allows you to install foam not only on the bottom of the box, but also on the lid, thereby giving you 2 x storage and the flies mounted in the lid don't get tangled with flies on the bottom. It's long enough to handle up to 12" saltwater flies and you get several rows of them. For larger flies, this type of solution is hard to beat. 

You could also go to an extra large clear envalope solution but larger flies inevitably  will "curl." You can remove "curl" by steaming flies btw. Steam straightens both hair and syntetic that develop a set. 

For smaller flies, storage is a lot easer. I like the clear, simple, non-waterproof hinged boxes. 

This looks like fun in the dark, waist deep, some current, some wind and some wave action...