Notable Catch

Roof rack + Turnpike

Rate this topic

32 posts in this topic

I've been using my wife's minivan to carry all fishing gear and rod when I go fishing.  Next year, I'm thinking about giving my car to my daughter and getting myself a truck.  Although I would love the idea of storing and locking everything in SUV, a truck made more sense as I can store all salty, stinky stuff in the bed instead of stinking up the cabin.

This brings a question, how am I going to carry rods?  I think a roof mounted rod holder such as rackarod, Yakima, Thule etc would be good as I can carry it all ready to be used.  However, I have to drive about an hour on Turnpike which the speed limit is 70mph(and higher :) ) and a little over another hour local way which some times are fast enough..

The question is that people who use it locally driving slow enough, I don't see a problem but what about when driving fast?  Will there be any issue driving at high speed?

Rhino Rack/Thule/Yakima all have good ski racks.

I have a Yakima Topwater rod box mounted on my bed rack. Always used ski racks, but I wanted something that I could secure the rods inside in case I left them unattended.

If you're concerned about having the rod tip out front at high speed then mount the rod rack to the bars facing backwards so the tip is facing the back of the truck.

I use Thule bars mounted to the cab of my PU.

Bob

Sorry, I should have been more specific.  Yup, rod/reel being secure wasn't much of a concern but actual rod was, especially if the front holder was a good distance away from the tip, I was thinking the tip will be shaking pretty bad at highway speed.

I also thought about placing reel side front but wasn't sure about wind blasting under opening of the reel possibly pushing sand in further? or what happens driving in rainy days.  Top of the reel face front, rain will hit drag know side which should be good but other way around where all the opening is?  not sure.

I don't ride with my high dollar surf rods on the highway.  Don't want to risk a rock hitting the blank while I am driving 70mph.  Once I get to my destination I put the rods in the rack.  I use Rhino rack cross bars and ski rack for my stuff - they work great.

8 mins ago, animalbarrie said:

I don't ride with my high dollar surf rods on the highway.  Don't want to risk a rock hitting the blank while I am driving 70mph.  Once I get to my destination I put the rods in the rack.  I use Rhino rack cross bars and ski rack for my stuff - they work great.

That was another concern of mine.  I used to mountain bike pretty much every day, but now, not so much.  But basically I avoided roof mounted bike rack for that reason and got hitch mounted bike rake.  Wasn't going to risky $10k carbon bike and rock.

That said, not sure if there is any better option with truck.  Although I hate to, I can break down surf rod which some are 70/30 and longest piece would be little over 7' but I do have 8' one piece rod.  Can't store that in the cabin with 3 people I don't think.

Posted (edited)

16 mins ago, Notable Catch said:

That was another concern of mine.  I used to mountain bike pretty much every day, but now, not so much.  But basically I avoided roof mounted bike rack for that reason and got hitch mounted bike rake.  Wasn't going to risky $10k carbon bike and rock.

That said, not sure if there is any better option with truck.  Although I hate to, I can break down surf rod which some are 70/30 and longest piece would be little over 7' but I do have 8' one piece rod.  Can't store that in the cabin with 3 people I don't think.

Not sure what kind of truck you have or are looking to purchase, but if you go with a 3/4 ton you would be able to get an 8' bed.  Breaking down the rods would not be an issue and you could get a cap to go over the bed to make sure your gear is secure.  Roof rack would still be able to be mounted on the cap.  

My beach rig is a Grand Cherokee - I break down the rods for the drive and the tips are all the way on the dash board.  My surf rods are 13' with 70/30 split.  But once I am on the beach they live on the roof.  

If your concern is stinky stuff being in the inside of a SUV, you can just get a rear carrier that mounts in your rear hitch.  I keep my drink cooler and bait cooler mounted on the rear tray.  My rear tray is 60" wide and holds up to 500 pounds.  

Edited by animalbarrie

Another option is a long roof box, I got one for my son's little CRV that was huge, like over 8' long and 36" wide! It could take your rods in security and safety plus stinky gear, allowing you to get an SUV instead of pickup if that's your taste.

Like I said a few posts earlier, Yakima rod box is great. Completely protects the rods and reels. 

With that said, I’ve traveled thousands of miles of the years with high end rods in the ski racks. I’ve never had an issue from rocks or debris. 

5F4B7C88-399B-4654-BAAE-37933AC02DA6.jpeg

21 mins ago, animalbarrie said:

Not sure what kind of truck you have or are looking to purchase, but if you go with a 3/4 ton you would be able to get an 8' bed.  Breaking down the rods would not be an issue and you could get a cap to go over the bed to make sure your gear is secure.  Roof rack would still be able to be mounted on the cap.  

My beach rig is a Grand Cherokee - I break down the rods for the drive and the tips are all the way on the dash board.  My surf rods are 13' with 70/30 split.  But once I am on the beach they live on the roof.  

If your concern is stinky stuff being in the inside of a SUV, you can just get a rear carrier that mounts in your rear hitch.  I keep my drink cooler and bait cooler mounted on the rear tray.  My rear tray is 60" wide and holds up to 500 pounds.  

Was thinking about Gladiator Mojave if I follow my heart but F150 Supercrew with 5.5' if I follow by brain.  So no, it won't have long bed to carry rods.  Although this would be mostly for fishing, I have to drive to office and face my everyday life with it.  That combo is pretty big for office garage as is, superscrew with 6.5' or supercab with 8' would be too big for the garage to drive and park.

Also, truck will be much easier to do some house works instead of SUV.