surfcast

Buck Tails ?

Rate this topic

38 posts in this topic

How do you guy like to fish Buck Tails? Do you let them hit bottom? Obviously you can't do that on well-structured areas. Some folks tell me they do and some say no.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)

Before I cast a bucktail I cast the same weight sinker and count until it hits bottom. Lets say I count till five until it hits bottom when I cast my same weight bucktail I start the retrieve on three or four to just keep it off the bottom not to destroy the painted finish on the head of the bucktail.. But if I want to bounce bottom with the bucktail I us an old bucktail that has been through the ringer.. When I am bouncing bottom I am usually trying for Fluke otherwise I am targeting Stripers. Best of luck and keep your distance while fishing.. Everyone stay healthy,, Sy.

Edited by sytheteacher

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Count it down, usually you want to "float" your bucktail just over the bottom contours, tapping structure occasionally. You typically don't  want to be dragging bottom or repeatedly ripping the bucktail out of the structure.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I like to let it settle then when I start my retrieve, I give it a good lift with the rod to get it just off the bottom. From there, I maintain contact in hopes to swim it near the bottom without dragging

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

A good place for you to start would be to read John Skinner’s “Fishing the Bucktail”.  After you do that and fish Bucktails for a while go back and read it again.  There’s always stuff you missed the first time around.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)

Cast. Sink. Reel reel. Twitch twitch. Swim up and down. Let sink. Reel. Reel. Twitch. Twitch. Sink. Reel reel. Repeat. Picking the right weight for the swell and current is important. 
 

I caught my last 14 fish on this bucktail. Nothing huge. But its working pretty good. Two different spots. One deep. One shallow. Both sandy beaches with good current running. 
 

Do you guys prefer a fixed or free swinging hook? This bucktail has a free swinging hook. I didn’t realize it when I bought it but it’s been working out pretty good. 

181B2102-F998-4481-B9CF-2F990906FBBD.jpeg

F55D658C-7FE4-4800-9B4B-319A551ADD72.jpeg

Edited by WindAndWater

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Sometimes I fish small roundheaded bucktails on very light tackle using John Paduano's "snap jigging" technique.  When I fish bucktials in this manner, I always let them hit the bottom and then snap them up with intensity.  Its very very effective. Primarily I use this technique inshore/nearshore in less than 50 ft of water otherwise it can become unweildy.   

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It’s a loaded topic. Follow the Dan TinMan advice. Read Skinner & watch his videos. 
 

I primarily use a bucktail and most jigs as mid to bottom of the water column offerings. As such, if I’m not hitting bottom and I’m not catching with 5/8 or 3/4 where I start, then I’ll go up to 1.5 at most for the surf. Occasionally I go down to 1/2 ounce. (I have just a couple 2-4 ounce jigs for extreme weather/waves but I don’t usually fish those scenarios.)
 

Deeper inlets, canals, & rivers with heavy current are a completely different animal. I would probably focus on one or the other (beaches/flats vs deep channels) depending where you live & what you fish to narrow the focus. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/28/2022 at 1:00 PM, WindAndWater said:

Cast. Sink. Reel reel. Twitch twitch. Swim up and down. Let sink. Reel. Reel. Twitch. Twitch. Sink. Reel reel. Repeat. Picking the right weight for the swell and current is important. 
 

I caught my last 14 fish on this bucktail. Nothing huge. But its working pretty good. Two different spots. One deep. One shallow. Both sandy beaches with good current running. 
 

Do you guys prefer a fixed or free swinging hook? This bucktail has a free swinging hook. I didn’t realize it when I bought it but it’s been working out pretty good. 

181B2102-F998-4481-B9CF-2F990906FBBD.jpeg

F55D658C-7FE4-4800-9B4B-319A551ADD72.jpeg

I always add a grub to my bucktail to give it more action..

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I fish them a couple of different ways, bottom bounce them, jig them, or just toss them out, let them sink a bit and start reeling.  I prefer to fish them with a grub or other soft plastic or bait.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Don't try to make rules for bucktails.

Every spot you fish has different current ,rocks sand areas ,piers ,abutments .

 

Bucktails can be fished 2-3 ft down 10 ft down and on bottom in 38 ft and you need to try everything.

 

Just keep trying things until you get bite and do that.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I use bucktails as a lure unto itself…….no add-ons…..

if i want to use rubber grubs and such i use them with a naked jig head.

there is really no bad way to swim a bucktail or a jig…….imho

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, FISH BUCKET said:

I use bucktails as a lure unto itself…….no add-ons…..

if i want to use rubber grubs and such i use them with a naked jig head.

there is really no bad way to swim a bucktail or a jig…….imho

What size buck tail do you use? Where I fish I can only throw 3/4 ----- 1 oz . I always have a six-inch Mr twister on it. But I agree there is no wrong way to use it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/28/2022 at 6:27 AM, surfcast said:

How do you guy like to fish Buck Tails? Do you let them hit bottom? Obviously you can't do that on well-structured areas. Some folks tell me they do and some say no.

Yes

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to register here in order to participate.

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.