imdannoir

Very Disappointed in Penn Reels - Making Change to VS - Rod Pairing?

Rate this topic

36 posts in this topic

Hello all,

Since last October I've gone through 3 penn reels: 650SSM Spinfisher, Penn Fierce 3 4000, Penn battle III 4000 - all now sitting in repair for various reasons. I've also retired a 705 bailless greenie.

I recently got into wetsuiting but have always been dunking my reels via jetties, etc, and have realized ive got to upgrade

ive really enjoyed smaller setups - i have a 7'1 Mojo for the small penns, and a 9'6 Tsunami for the big boy. I was thinking of going VSX200 and a 10/10 6 footer, but might be too much. Maybe VSX150 would be better. I'm not sure.

i've been recommended the Jigging world 10' 3/4-4 or Lamiglas Supersurf G2 10' 2-5

I think ideally i'd want a 3/4-4. I love St Croix - in an ideal world - what would you pair with the VS?

Thank you in advance!

1 min ago, imdannoir said:

Hello all,

Since last October I've gone through 3 penn reels: 650SSM Spinfisher, Penn Fierce 3 4000, Penn battle III 4000 - all now sitting in repair for various reasons. I've also retired a 705 bailless greenie.

I recently got into wetsuiting but have always been dunking my reels via jetties, etc, and have realized ive got to upgrade

ive really enjoyed smaller setups - i have a 7'1 Mojo for the small penns, and a 9'6 Tsunami for the big boy. I was thinking of going VSX200 and a 10/10 6 footer, but might be too much. Maybe VSX150 would be better. I'm not sure.

i've been recommended the Jigging world 10' 3/4-4 or Lamiglas Supersurf G2 10' 2-5

I think ideally i'd want a 3/4-4. I love St Croix - in an ideal world - what would you pair with the VS?

Thank you in advance!

I can speak to the 10" 1-4 St Croix Seage. I like it a lot so far. Maybe a little on the stiff side, so the 10'6" 3/4-4 might be a good move. I would think VS200 on either of those would be a good fit

11 mins ago, imdannoir said:

Hello all,

To be fair regarding your disappointment with Penn reels, the ones you've listed above are in the lower end of Penn's hierarchy of their line up and definitely, as you discovered, not made for the conditions you described. Penn makes some excellent reels. I've been more than happy with my Penn Slammers, however, I don't dunk my reels. At least not on purpose. I've taken waves and they've been splashed with no ill effects. Just a bit of regular maintenance and they have served me well.

1 hour ago, imdannoir said:

Hello all,

Thank you in advance!

Seeing that you mentioned a penn 705. Are you retrieving with your right hand? If so you might have a harder time finding a vs

I have the  10 ft lamiglass and the 11 ft lamiglass and they are both great off the beech for distance and in close for accuracy … but I don’t dunk my rigs 

Moderately priced Penns to VS is quite the jump.  

That said, I have a 1-4oz 10' Mojo Surf with a Shimano Ultegra XTD 5500, and a 0.5-2oz 9' Jigging World Shadow with a Penn SSVI 5500.  Both serve their purposes.  SSVI is a very good reel (4500 would be a better fit for the JW).  But I don't go dunking.

On 11/27/2022 at 2:45 PM, Fishjerk said:

Go off-roading in a Toyota Camry and you’ll be disappointed too. 

:point:

Awesome,  I'm going to use that one....

You cant compare those low end penn reels to a vs 

in penns defense that make some nice higher end reels that are not as much as the vs but much better than the ones you listed ! And on another note vs and penn now are made by same co. 

I fish a 250 VS on the ODM Genisis 11'6 as my heavy set up and really like it it. Good for 2-3 oz plugs easily and can get some bigger stuff out there if needed. Tossed eels a few times with no issue and had plenty of power for all the higher end slots I have landed in current. 

6 hours ago, shark lobster said:

And on another note vs and penn now are made by same co.

PureFishing owns Penn and VS and many other reel brands their not made in the same factory, you really can't compare a Penn to a VS, nothing wrong with Penn reels, they just won't last as long if used under the same condition. 

VS200 and the VS250 are the same body also VS275, all will do, the larger you go the more line capacity you will have, gears are the same for all 3 models, VS200 would match up well with 10 to 11ft rod just check it for balance.

This thread has me laughing because I bought a brand new Penn Fierce III 4000 from the big prime site just before Black Friday for just inder $39 delivered and taxed and it's being compared to a VS reel that sells for $500+. This is funny stuff. Thanks for the chuckle! I cant wait fir April Fools Day!!!