HopHead

.45/70

Rate this topic

60 posts in this topic

I want one.....for no good reason other than I wanna shoot 430 gr bullets.  Should I buy new or used?  Thinking stainless with good peep sight.  Already have a .35 rem but different animal.

New Marlin now that they are made by Ruger.

I had a Remlin stainless Trapper and it was ok but finicky at times.   The lever action would act up here and there so I got rid of it and went with a .450 Bushmaster  (Ruger AR556) which is a beast.   Out to 200 yards I'm good with a 2" high 100 yard zero.

4 mins ago, HopHead said:

I want one.....for no good reason other than I wanna shoot 430 gr bullets.  Should I buy new or used?  Thinking stainless with good peep sight.  Already have a .35 rem but different animal.

Good enough reason right there. I had a repro Trapdoor Springfield in .45-70 for no other reason that it had trapdoor and I loved the largeness of the cartridge.

have shot much game with the .444 but the 45-70 depending on the bullet profile is F'kin Destructive at close quarters.....much respect for that Cal. in the big woods.

1 hour ago, HopHead said:

Looking at the marlin site.....any reason to get the SBL over the trapper?  I don't see myself ever putting a scope on it.  That 16" barrel on the trapper is short.....obviously for up close and personal action.

https://www.marlinfirearms.com/s/leverAction/

What about a Henry? I've never owned, handles, or shot one but I sure do like the way they're advertised, Made in the USA or not at all.

As for buying used over new, I'll take a quality used gun over a new one any day of the week. Generally cheaper and usually better made.

14 mins ago, Bass Ackwards said:

What about a Henry? I've never owned, handles, or shot one but I sure do like the way they're advertised, Made in the USA or not at all.

As for buying used over new, I'll take a quality used gun over a new one any day of the week. Generally cheaper and usually better made.

Not a fan.....not even sure why. I'd buy a plinker from Henry though.

I like the sbl.  First saw it in the movie Wind River. Have no need for a lever gun but do like it.  Not sure if I'd get a stainless scope for it or run a eotech on it. 

Hoping Ruger/Marlin will reintroduce the 1895 45/70 with walnut stocks; not a fan of laminate. Used Marlins made in the "good" years from New Haven command outrageous money for years now.

8 hours ago, Mr. Bigdeal said:

Not to correct you but just to set it right....when I was in Ct. marlin was in North Haven, Conn....

You are 100% correct sir, my bad... :howdy:

Posted (edited)

Winchester was in New Haven, High Standard in Hamden, Colt naturally in Hartford and O. F. Mossberg also in North Haven......the local gun shops had quite a variety of used guns for sale most of the time....also, employees of these firms who bought at company discount could also get ya one.....it was fun times.

Edited by Mr. Bigdeal

Yeah that was the epicenter of gun making back in the day.  I did my gen surgery training at st. raphael in new haven 96-01.