hunter123

Fly fishing A.I.

Rate this topic

31 posts in this topic

Posted (edited)

Hi, I went fly fishing at A.I. this summer, did ok on the back bays, horrible in the surf. I use a Orvis Silver label 9.5 9wt with a Rio tropical 9wt floating line and a intermediat sinking line. I couldn't get any distance out of either line. maybe 20 yds if that. I have read that I should over line the rod with a 10wt floating line. I did better on the bayside with the intermediate sinking line.  I fly fish for Trout with no problems, but I would really like to do better in saltwater fly fishing. I don't want to run out and get a new outfit and not figure what I'm doing wrong with the Silver label. I have only tried the rod 3 or 4 times since getting it in the 1990's. Thanks 

Edited by hunter123

Try stretching the line before you try casting to maybe loosing up any coiling . You can also try slicking the line up a bit with armor all . Since it hasn't seen much use there'd be no real reason to clean it, You can overline it if you wish but I'd give stretching and a little slickem first.

Posted (edited)

Sorry, I don't know what "A. I." refers to.

"I fly fish for Trout with no problems, but I would really like to do better in saltwater fly fishing."

98% of us were there......in the beginning.

Do NOT go out and "buy a new outfit"......searching blindly for some gear combo that corrects whatever casting deficiencies you might have.

With that little contact with your rod in 30 years......would seem to indicate a low level of interest/drive.  If you think this is going to be simple, easy, and immediate.....then....well....you are wrong.  If your interest is ONLY IF it is going to be simple, easy, and immediate......then few, if any, will want to spend the energy to try and help you.  It is and can be fun, but there IS work involved.....and potentially some frustration at the learning curve.

Consider this:  Millions of dollars are spent each year by hundreds of thousands of golfers on lessons.  And the basic golf swing is FAR MORE OBVIOUS AND INTUITIVE  than a salt-water effective cast.

Probably 1/4 of all threads on this site.....going back a decade involve some attempt at diagnosing/correcting/tteaching casting proficiency.  There are some wonderful threads if you go looking for them.

Without seeing your casting in person or in a video it is almost impossible to even know where to start.  You give no clues......or even hint you know what a haul,,,,,much less double haul,,,,,or shoot....is.

By FAR, the best advice is to find a certified casting instructor and get first-hand.....hands-on lessons.  Non-certified instructors can be 1) free.....but 2) more variable to downright problematic in their own right.

If you really want the thrill-of-the-chase of doing this all right here in the ether-world.....then have someone make a video of your casting strokes......and post it (or a link to it) back on here.  And begin the work of a lifetime. 

Edited by Peter Patricelli

In no branch of fishing will gear ensure performance. Peter as is so often the case which can be annoying is 100% correct. Wonderfully brutal at times but we are all of us tough enough to cope with that. Clear concise Comms beat beating about the bush and stroking egos.

Getting a good cast does not need to take for ever. Depends on how much time you have and if you can find a good teacher. Less than 6 months is doable.

mikey

Posted (edited)

1 hour ago, KidDkivahh said:

Try stretching the line before you try casting to maybe loosing up any coiling . You can also try slicking the line up a bit with armor all . Since it hasn't seen much use there'd be no real reason to clean it, You can overline it if you wish but I'd give stretching and a little slickem first.

Definatly will try stretching. Thank you.

Edited by hunter123

Peter, A.I. stands for Assateauge Island National seashore park in Md and VA.  Thank you for your advise, all of you. I'll practice casting. 

I would think the tropical floating line is pretty coiled up at AI.  Is the intermediate line a tropical line too?  A stiff, coilly line would probably significantly cut into your ability to shoot line.  How far can you cast with your set ups when you are not at the beach?  If you think your timing is off, overlining the rod may help you feel the rod load.  

13 hours ago, hunter123 said:

Definatly will try stretching. Thank you.

Since I have a good grip on your location and knowing you do well in the fresh water. I'd stay clear of tropical lines . You can certainly overline to a 10 if you wish I do that a lot I'm more used to slower rods ( Bamboo) . Also it never hurts to get  casting lessons .  

Posted (edited)

6 hours ago, KidDkivahh said:

Since I have a good grip on your location and knowing you do well in the fresh water. I'd stay clear of tropical lines . You can certainly overline to a 10 if you wish I do that a lot I'm more used to slower rods ( Bamboo) . Also it never hurts to get  casting lessons .  

Thats what my floating line is a tropical 9wt. I think I will get new line. What would you all recomend for a floating and a intermediate line.

Edited by hunter123

10 hours ago, Fall fish said:

I would think the tropical floating line is pretty coiled up at AI.  Is the intermediate line a tropical line too?  A stiff, coilly line would probably significantly cut into your ability to shoot line.  How far can you cast with your set ups when you are not at the beach?  If you think your timing is off, overlining the rod may help you feel the rod load.  

It is a tropical line. The intermediate is a freshwater line.  I think I'll get some new line. What would you all recomend for a floating and a intermediate line.

4 hours ago, hunter123 said:

It is a tropical line. The intermediate is a freshwater line.  I think I'll get some new line. What would you all recomend for a floating and an intermediate line.

I personally like Airflo Saltwater Cold intermediate, less line memory, easy to manage and cast very nice.  I did order their floating line I hope I’ll like it. 

When fishing out front in the surf, i like an intermediate line. I can achieve better line control in the rough wash with an intermediate . It helps me stay in touch with my fly and offer better presentations. 

I’d also mention that fishing parallel to the beach with a fly can be very effective, and the booming casts not required. Surf the inshore curls with your fly and stay in the suds. Predators make a living darting back and forth under cover of foam and turbulence, snatching disoriented or dislodged prey. 

So,You're going to buy a new line? Why? The average price of a new line is above $75.Invest that in a casting lesson.Also,have someone video you casting with the gear you have now if you don't have access to an instructor.I have a silver label 8wt[it replaced a saltrodder a friend broke on a bonefish trip,warranty] from over 20 yrs ago.It's a slow rod compared to rods now.Overloading it most likely won't fix your casting issue.

Posted (edited)

21 mins ago, theshadow said:

So,You're going to buy a new line? Why? The average price of a new line is above $75.Invest that in a casting lesson.Also,have someone video you casting with the gear you have now if you don't have access to an instructor.I have a silver label 8wt[it replaced a saltrodder a friend broke on a bonefish trip,warranty] from over 20 yrs ago.It's a slow rod compared to rods now.Overloading it most likely won't fix your casting issue.

My intermediat line I have now turns out to be an 8wt I bought years ago for a fresh water Bass rod.. I wanted to get a 9wt intermediate.  Do you think my RIO tropical line would be ok for a floater. I will take casting instructions. Thanks.

Edited by hunter123

4 hours ago, Mark L said:

I personally like Airflo Saltwater Cold intermediate, less line memory, easy to manage and cast very nice.  I did order their floating line I hope I’ll like it. 

How do you think the line would handle warmer summer water at the beach? Like in the mid 70 degree range.