MainelySmallies

Are nicer wetsuits worth it?

Rate this topic

8 posts in this topic

Planing to buy a second suit as there are a lot on sale for Black Friday right now. My main motivation is that it absolutely sucks putting on a wetsuit that’s still damp from the previous night in the fall when it’s cold. So at least if I have two suits I can rotate them. 

Right now I have a cheapish 4/3 suit (around $225 new) and it’s fine. I need to repair some rips and damage but I can get another year out of it.

Anyway, I’m wondering if nicer suits are worth it? My friends who surf splurge on nicer suits, which makes sense, but is it worth it for fishing? Or is it just going to get beat to hell climbing up rocks and end up being a waste of money? If it is worth it, anyone have any suits in particular they recommend?

for surfing, lighter, more flexible and thus more expensive may well be worth it.  for fishing?  not so much so.  warmth will be similar, but the more expensive suits typically have better sealed seems.  unless you are submerged a lot while fishing i would go with a less expensive suit.

I had a wetsuit I outgrew(got too fat for) that had a fleece type liner in it and that was way better than just straight neoprene, other than that definitely get a surfing wetsuit to aid in mobility over a diving wetsuit they don't seem to allow for as much movement

Going to mimic the guy above and say Oneils are supposed to be really nice

3 hours ago, MainelySmallies said:

Planing to buy a second suit as there are a lot on sale for Black Friday right now. My main motivation is that it absolutely sucks putting on a wetsuit that’s still damp from the previous night in the fall when it’s cold. So at least if I have two suits I can rotate them. 

Right now I have a cheapish 4/3 suit (around $225 new) and it’s fine. I need to repair some rips and damage but I can get another year out of it.

Anyway, I’m wondering if nicer suits are worth it? My friends who surf splurge on nicer suits, which makes sense, but is it worth it for fishing? Or is it just going to get beat to hell climbing up rocks and end up being a waste of money? If it is worth it, anyone have any suits in particular they recommend?

Brings back memories of before I had two suits. If my suit wasn’t dry I would put it in a garbage bag and pull it under the covers with me. Note I sleep in my truck. Sounds crazy but it worked great. It will be as warm as you were but you have to put it on quick. You  have to do what you have to do , I wasn’t missing the 2am tide.

Just now, giant basshole said:

Brings back memories of before I had two suits. If my suit wasn’t dry I would put it in a garbage bag and pull it under the covers with me. Note I sleep in my truck. Sounds crazy but it worked great. It will be as warm as you were but you have to put it on quick. You  have to do what you have to do , I wasn’t missing the 2am tide.

That’s a good tip haha. Yeah man slipping into a cold wet suit in October sucks so hard. It warms up quick but those first ten minutes are awful. 

Just now, MainelySmallies said:

That’s a good tip haha. Yeah man slipping into a cold wet suit in October sucks so hard. It warms up quick but those first ten minutes are awful. 

Try it it works, a little insane but so is wetsuiting. As guys have suggested the fleece suits are sweet , I don’t skimp in October as it’s getting to cold.

Just now, giant basshole said:

Try it it works, a little insane but so is wetsuiting. As guys have suggested the fleece suits are sweet , I don’t skimp in October as it’s getting to cold.

Definitely will. I’ll look into fleece lined. Didn’t mind the damp suit thing until the fall haha.