Albieaddict

Puerto Rico in March

Rate this topic

9 posts in this topic

I am heading to the Rincon area of Puerto Rico (flying in to San Juan) for a week in mid March. Hoping to take advantage of a day of guided tarpon fishing or sight fishing of another kind. Separately from a day of guiding, I'll have some extra time to explore on foot or with a kayak. Does anyone have any recommendations for guides and areas to explore?

I'll have a rental car and don't mind driving if it is required. 

Thanks!

Albie,

I did business in PR for 11 years and made frequent trips their.  I fished mainly in the East and on the outer Island of Culebra for Tarpon, Bones and the occasional Permit.  I did visit the Rincon area once with my wife, but it was a non-fishing expedition (if you surf or body board check out Maria's).  That said, some of the best Tarpon and Snook fishing on the big island is in a lagoon 5 minutes from the international Airport in San Juan (technically Isla Verde).  You may want to stay a night or two in that area and fish the lagoon.  The added benefit is the history, culture and food in Old San Juan, a ten minute drive from Isla Verde.  I can reach out to a local friend and former guide to find out who he currently recommends in the San Juan area if you like.

Mark

Posted (edited)

Hi Mark, that would be hugely appreciated! I am actually flying in pre-dawn (4:30A or so) in San Juan, so I could likely do my guided day trip that day if the guide was available.

I do surf as well so I am sure I will find myself at Marias!

Connor

Edited by Albieaddict

We canceled a family trip to Rincon for 2023.  I was looking at No Name Fly Lodge.  They do all inclusive, but said they would put a note on the calendar and let me fish a day or two if there was space.  It is a brand new lodge so it seems like 22 or 23 would be the years to slip in before it gets fully booked up with week long trips.

23 hours ago, Albieaddict said:

Hi Mark, that would be hugely appreciated! I am actually flying in pre-dawn (4:30A or so) in San Juan, so I could likely do my guided day trip that day if the guide was available.

I do surf as well so I am sure I will find myself at Marias!

Connor

Connor,

I chatted with my PR friend and am sending you a PM with a West Coast recommendation that may interest you.

Mark

I've had a blast with Capt Pochy (tarpon hombre).  He's part time now, and only doing paddle board trips, but great guy and generous with his experience. 

Lots of DIY options nearby. That time of year you'll likely see tarpon running points and beach sunrise and sunset.  If you want to explore further south, there are some great mangroves and Cabo Rojo is beautiful. Great fishing depending on the wind.  It's a fun stretch can do everything surf, sand, backwater mangroves and cliffs all in one day. 

We went to a destination wedding last year, stayed in Cabo Rojo right by the salt pans, had an air bnb RIGHT on the mangroves, tarpon rolling just out of casting range.  That's when I learned why no one wades the mangroves there. . . my flats boots still smell of PR mangrove mud.

On 11/26/2022 at 11:45 AM, Bait Tailer said:

I've had a blast with Capt Pochy (tarpon hombre).  He's part time now, and only doing paddle board trips, but great guy and generous with his experience. 

I'll second the rec of Capt Pochy. I fished with him last March. I was expecting to fish out of a boat and wasn't prepared for the paddle board, but what an experience. I had lots of shots at fish, mostly juveniles -- and then there was this one. The first piece of advice Capt Pochy gave me was, "If you hook a big fish, make sure your anchor is down." He was right about that.

Tarpon_PR_Mar_2022.jpg.2254eb76ea4e591acff84d97b12c979c.jpg

Puerto Rico fly fishing club out of palmas in south east of island. Trips to culebra and everything in between.  Accommodations are top notch as well.  
puertoricofly**** on instagram