Suffering in turkey & food safety?

Rate this topic

jjdbike

So someone in the T day thread said they were microwaving their stuffing before it went into the bird fir safety.

I just googled it and apparently it unsafe to stuff a bird because apparently unless you over cook the bird, the stuffing will be under cooked. Been doing it all my life. 
Please talk to me about suffer turkey and food safety.

JD

Keep doing what you been doing.  Happy Thanksgiving 

"I have ... put a lump of ice into an equal quantity of water ...  if a little sea salt be added to the water we shall produce a fluid sensibly colder than the ice was in the beginning, which has appeared a curious and puzzling thing to those unacquainted with the general fact."- Joseph Black

Thoroughly wash and dry the interior of the bird before stuffing it to remove as much possible bacteria as you can. 

Nuking stuffing before stuffing the bird is just dumb, what does that accomplish? The stuffing is not the problem, it is any lingering bacteria inside the bird's cavity.

Cook stuffed turkey to preferred turkey meat temp

Remove stuffing when done, put in microwavable bowl and nuke that until internal temps hits 165*. Stir it thoroughly and nuke again. 

Chase down stuffing with plenty of 100 proof vodka or other spirits just to be extra careful 

Have a great day!

“No nation in history has survived once its borders were destroyed, once its citizenship was rendered no different from mere residence, and once its neighbors with impunity undermined its sovereignty.”

- Victor Davis Hanson 

24 mins ago, JimW said:

Keep doing what you been doing.  Happy Thanksgiving 

yeah, well, there's that too if you've never been sickened before. 

“No nation in history has survived once its borders were destroyed, once its citizenship was rendered no different from mere residence, and once its neighbors with impunity undermined its sovereignty.”

- Victor Davis Hanson 

54 mins ago, flyangler said:

Thoroughly wash and dry the interior of the bird before stuffing it to remove as much possible bacteria as you can. 

Nuking stuffing before stuffing the bird is just dumb, what does that accomplish? The stuffing is not the problem, it is any lingering bacteria inside the bird's cavity.

Cook stuffed turkey to preferred turkey meat temp

Remove stuffing when done, put in microwavable bowl and nuke that until internal temps hits 165*. Stir it thoroughly and nuke again. 

Chase down stuffing with plenty of 100 proof vodka or other spirits just to be extra careful 

Have a great day!

Thanks everyone.

Yes, it makes sense to pull out of bird & back into oven till 165 and appropriate moisture level (i.e. not wet & mushy). I also like it to have a browned crust on top. I do believe the stuffing benefits from the juices it absorbs inside the bird.

Happy Thanksgiving!

JD

57 mins ago, flyangler said:

yeah, well, there's that too if you've never been sickened before. 

Half an hour at 140 kills salmonella.  I’m assuming nobody does anything too silly. 

"I have ... put a lump of ice into an equal quantity of water ...  if a little sea salt be added to the water we shall produce a fluid sensibly colder than the ice was in the beginning, which has appeared a curious and puzzling thing to those unacquainted with the general fact."- Joseph Black

On 11/24/2022 at 9:10 AM, jjdbike said:

So someone in the T day thread said they were microwaving their stuffing before it went into the bird fir safety.

This is a misunderstanding of the issue. It's not that you want to heat the stuffing and then put it in the bird before you cook it. The problem lies in the cool cavity of bird, which is made more dense by the stuffing, which in turn soaks up the potentially harmful bacteria laden turkey juices and must then again reach a sufficiently high temp to do away with threat of the bacteria. By the time center of a large stuffed bird comes to temp, some of the meat often has become dry.

It is really better to do the bird and stuffing separately and avoid the issue.

On 11/24/2022 at 10:34 AM, Big Biscuit said:

Make stuffing muffins, you can thank me later. 

Exactly.

What I do is get a stock going from neck, giblets and wing tips as soon as I unwrap the bird.  I'll use that to moisten the stuffing, or just use chicken broth.  Stuffing only takes a 1/2 hour to "cook" and the single serving portions are perfect, just the right amount of crunchy top and sides and soft middle.

I did it once or twice inside the bird, just found it a pain in the next to get it inside and then out when ready to serve.  Meh. 

#otterlivesmatter

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/28/2022 at 1:43 PM, jjdbike said:

I cooked 1/2 in the bird & 1/2 in a pan. The stuffing inside the bird was way better. After bird came out of oven, i placed in a pan and put back in oven to take up to temp & crisp crust.
It was delicious. 
Thanks!

JD

Did you use stock to moisten the stuffing or just water.  I'll throw some aromatics in the cavity ( onion, apple, orange, celery, etc) . That helps with the juices i use to make the gravy.  With broth/ stock I think you can get away fro stuffing a bird and get good flavor-  cooks faster too