Fergal

Simms - continuing their suck

Rate this topic

20 posts in this topic

12 hours ago, Fergal said:

I've been happy with my Simms stuff so far. I've dealt with their customer service a few times and never had any issues. My first pair of Simms lasted 10+ years, 7 out of the next. 

But after Ftyer's issue and them doing away with standard waders and only offering zip, eff them. I'm willing to bet that my current pair will last a good while but when I need new ones, if I still walk this earth I'll likely look elsewhere. 

I think it depends on where you're puttin on your miles.SW fishing is easy on waders, even a cheap pr will be good but a couple days,let alone a season (or seasons), steelheading puts them through their paces.I went through two pr of simms and there was a lot of aquaseal involved in their short lives.Comfortable,they fit great, but leaked constantly.

I've never had a seam leak on Pats,every other brand has, including my very last pr of simms which leaked right out of the box and they said it was my fault...f them.

1 hour ago, JRT said:

The Patagonia SST jacket has been one of my best fishing buys. 5 years and still waterproof and rust free.

That's what I am looking at.

1 hour ago, slip n slide said:

I think it depends on where you're puttin on your miles.SW fishing is easy on waders, even a cheap pr will be good but a couple days,let alone a season (or seasons), steelheading puts them through their paces.I went through two pr of simms and there was a lot of aquaseal involved in their short lives.Comfortable,they fit great, but leaked constantly.

I've never had a seam leak on Pats,every other brand has, including my very last pr of simms which leaked right out of the box and they said it was my fault...f them.

The 10+ year pair, primarily NJ surf with a little fresh, but some years had 100+ days on the water with them. They certainly had their share of aqua seal use. They were boot foots, the boots fell apart, still no major leaks in the waders themselves. The NJ surf certainly isn't a harsh environment but that was still a lot of use - lots of walking to back bay spots, in/out of my truck. I was in my career transition at that time and I was fishing a lot.

The second pair saw fresh and salt, with more rock stuff (I moved to CT from NJ). I'm guessing I did 50+ trips a year in those. The booties wore out twice (Simms covered one, I paid for the other). They also leaked at the crotch just past the warranty date but Simm repaired those at n/c(I could have fixed those with aqua seal but being newish I sent them back). This pair just wore out. I started getting wet from seeping water, no specific leak. And of course there was some aqua seal here and there. 

The current pair is now two years old,, no leaks but my time in them is down a bit vs historical since I didn't fish much the last two years. I don't dislike them and I expect them to be as durable as prior pairs. Time will tell there tho. I do have their G4 wading Jacket, it's the nicest top that I've ever owned. The only issue is sizing, the size that I have is a bit long in the arms, the next smaller size was ok there but didn't allow for decent layering. But that's not really Simms' fault.

Again, seeing the Ftyer debacle and them only offering one style of wader going forward, plus the change in ownership; one would have to be blind to not see where Simms is going - Much more expensive and fewer options. But, it should be 3-4 years before I need a new pair of waders. If they don't last that long it'll even be more of a reason to move to Pats (or another option if it exists at the time).

PS - I'd rather give my $$$$ to Patagonia vs some VC owned corporate entity.

Edited by Fergal

The Patagonias are worth every penny and more. I have lots of Simms products but wasn’t impressed with the quality or fit of the G3 or G4’s. 

I'm in a pair of Simms now but you've all convinced me.....next pair is Patagonia.

SOL consumer reports. :th: