Fergal

Simms - continuing their suck

Rate this topic

20 posts in this topic

I just started buying cheap waders and tossing them after the season.  All my boat and rainwear is transitioning to Grunden's.  And I am on Simms Pro Staff and get it much cheaper.  Still too much.

I've been seeing the regular G4 on sale and figured they were coming out with a new model, nope....

I might go the el cheap, the only issue there is a significant failure while on the water. 

My father-in-law has both the G4 and the Pats (he has a house in NC and keeps stuff there). He prefers the Pats over the G4, he also loves Pats wading boots (Danners) as well.

39 mins ago, Fergal said:

They're dropping the regular G4, only offering the zippered version @ $999. My next ones will likely be Patagonia.

At one time I may have paid the equivalent of $999 for a pair of waders, those days have passed. And only under the condition of a 5 year bumper to bumper GUARANTEE replacement no questions asked. From years 5 through 8 a pro rated amount to be deducted from a new pair.

And as you get older, most of us get cheaper or maybe wiser, regardless, getting me to part with 1 large for a pair of waders just won't happen. I begin to convulse at about $500, at $1000 I may need an ambulance. 

Hats off to the folks selling them for that kind of scratch, todays consumers will spend whatever they ask if they want it, and most want it now, hats off to them also.

1 hour ago, Fergal said:

They're dropping the regular G4, only offering the zippered version @ $999. My next ones will likely be Patagonia.

Took ya this long to figure it out,eh,lol? gave up on simms 20 years ago...lame then,lamer now.

Strictly Pats these days,far superior warranty and customer service to simms std rhetoric of"it's your fault".The Pats have a handy suspender clip that lets ya drop your waders to take a leak w/o having to unbuckle or even removing your jacket...nice on a cold day.

My biggest issue w/ waders is neoprene compression from walking lots of stream miles in pursuit of steelhead;the sole gets so compressed it is no longer waterproof.Patagonia replaced the neoprene booties 4X over a period of almost 8 yrs as well as repaired a hole I had caused/worked on but they stitched it up w/ a patch that held for 4 yrs+.

Happy Thanksgiving!

I am in the market for a wading jacket.  Tried on some Simms and was not impressed.  Gonna dive into the Patagonia world for the first time.

Get the Patagonia ones, they are worth every penny. 

I’m sure you remember my absurd debacle with Simms earlier in the season, well, I replaced them with the high end Patagonia pair and I love those things so damn much. I’ve used them between 3 and 7 times a week since I got them, zero problems so far. I’ve never experienced that with waders, and it was such a breath of fresh air after my $500 Simms delaminated after less than three week’s use. Also, the additional features Patagonia includes in their waders makes a huge difference, when compared to what Simms offered. 

My Simms guide pants and jacket are 23 yrs old , repaired by Simms many times. I’m now  doing all repairs last 5-6 years and never would pay todays prices. I look like Emmet Kelly the clown, fish don’t care. Fly rods for a period of time got the price tags of jewelry, but most seasoned fly guys now realize $300-400 rods are more than adequate. I could care less about hype. Same things with lures, even some flies work better when haggard. 

It’ll be interesting to see the direction Simms takes as a company since they were purchased.

Unfortunately, I think their best days (making and standing behind top-notch, well-made fishing gear, innovating when needed, yet trusting their tried and true R&D to carry them more than two seasonal cycles) are behind them.

They’re no longer where I begin my searches when I need a new piece of gear.

4 hours ago, MikeK said:

I am in the market for a wading jacket.  Tried on some Simms and was not impressed.  Gonna dive into the Patagonia world for the first time.

Orvis is selling their Pro jacket at a steep discount.

Didn't have my size on line but the local Orvis store hunted one down for me at another store.

9 hours ago, Shipwreck said:

I just started buying cheap waders and tossing them after the season. 

been doing this for a while. :th:

besides, for me it's only colder weather, every other time I wet wade. 

9 hours ago, slip n slide said:

Took ya this long to figure it out,eh,lol? gave up on simms 20 years ago...lame then,lamer now.

Strictly Pats these days,far superior warranty and customer service to simms std rhetoric of"it's your fault".The Pats have a handy suspender clip that lets ya drop your waders to take a leak w/o having to unbuckle or even removing your jacket...nice on a cold day.

My biggest issue w/ waders is neoprene compression from walking lots of stream miles in pursuit of steelhead;the sole gets so compressed it is no longer waterproof.Patagonia replaced the neoprene booties 4X over a period of almost 8 yrs as well as repaired a hole I had caused/worked on but they stitched it up w/ a patch that held for 4 yrs+.

Happy Thanksgiving!

I've been happy with my Simms stuff so far. I've dealt with their customer service a few times and never had any issues. My first pair of Simms lasted 10+ years, 7 out of the next. 

But after Ftyer's issue and them doing away with standard waders and only offering zip, eff them. I'm willing to bet that my current pair will last a good while but when I need new ones, if I still walk this earth I'll likely look elsewhere. 

My decade old simms waders still out perform the simms pair i bought a year ago and i mostly wetsuit.  simms now translates to be total garbage and are a freud. Disappointing.

Edited by puppet

17 hours ago, BrianDailey said:

It’ll be interesting to see the direction Simms takes as a company since they were purchased.

Unfortunately, I think their best days (making and standing behind top-notch, well-made fishing gear, innovating when needed, yet trusting their tried and true R&D to carry them more than two seasonal cycles) are behind them.

They’re no longer where I begin my searches when I need a new piece of gear.

Nothing new -- Ross used to produce great budget friendly reels plus nicer ones. Since they were bought they are focusing on the high end.

Getting bought by a larger firm is a high % bet that quality, options & customer service decrease while prices jump up.

The Patagonia SST jacket has been one of my best fishing buys. 5 years and still waterproof and rust free.

Edited by JRT