weekendwarrior

Loading bombers

Rate this topic

6 posts in this topic

Does anyone here load Bombers with water? If so, any recommended amount?  I load both 5 and 7 inch Redfins, so am familiar with the process. 

I’d be interested in CC recs for 15a and 16a models.  

Thanks! 

I always load 7" redfins, but I usually use mineral oil. The water will evaporate over time and loose its weight. The magic number for me is 10cc 

As for bombers,  I never tried.  Some are hollow I believe, but most are sold plastic . The long brokeback bombers are solid I believe. 

Loading Bombers is the same as loading a RedFin. None are solid, straight or jointed all sections are hollow. Some15a's were available Factory loaded, re Suspending Series. Although Hg is by far the most effective method, very thin oil works well as it doesn't evaporate but with it the lures action is slowed somewhat. If you like to experiment try the "Tooth Pic" method. Drill a small hole 1/4in behing the lip just big enough that a round Tooth Pic will enought in tightly. Cut it off leaving just enough so you can grab hold to remove/reinstall. Go fishing and when you need that extra bit of distance scoop up a palm full of water and suck into your mouth. Now remove the tooth pic and squirt into the plug. Add/subtract water as desired depending on conditions. 

I’ve used number 8 birdshot, BBs, lead pellets, mineral oil, Mikes oil attractants etc. It’s all good if the lure maintains it’s position and swims well.

These recs are all very helpful- thank you!  Anyone have a rule of thumb they use for how many cc’s of water for 15a’s and 16a’s?

I’ll experiment from there, of course.