Doug Scherer

Van Staal vs Penn

Rate this topic

37 posts in this topic

For a long time I was in the camp of the idea that I could buy 3 or 4 reels(Saragossas in my case) before a VS paid off. Well after I got my first VS I wouldn't use anything else, not worrying about dropping it in the sand, taking spray, dunking it, etc was well worth the price of admission.

Now, if you're never getting your reel wet, a slammer or spinfisher is a fine reel, but if you wade out up to your waist at all and it's in your budget, the VS is definitely a worthwhile investment for peace of mind.

7 hours ago, wjtoggin said:

For a long time I was in the camp of the idea that I could buy 3 or 4 reels(Saragossas in my case) before a VS paid off. Well after I got my first VS I wouldn't use anything else, not worrying about dropping it in the sand, taking spray, dunking it, etc was well worth the price of admission.

Now, if you're never getting your reel wet, a slammer or spinfisher is a fine reel, but if you wade out up to your waist at all and it's in your budget, the VS is definitely a worthwhile investment for peace of mind.

I agree. If you surf fish, you are going to get wet. Buy a VS

Personally I like having a reel I don’t have to worry about in any way whatsoever, so VS for me. I’m certainly not a “hardcore” wet suit fisherman or anything like that, but it’s nice that I can just drop it in the sand, put it in the water, bang it on a rock, or do whatever with it and have full confidence that it’ll just keep going. 

3 mins ago, chocodove said:

Personally I like having a reel I don’t have to worry about in any way whatsoever, so VS for me. I’m certainly not a “hardcore” wet suit fisherman or anything like that, but it’s nice that I can just drop it in the sand, put it in the water, bang it on a rock, or do whatever with it and have full confidence that it’ll just keep going. 

I don’t wet suit either and kind of “baby”my VSs.  There are some rough moments ( ie: falling down on rocks, reeling underwater, landing fish and using rod as a wading staff)! but mostly they get a dunk know and then and splashed of course, and I rinse them off at the end of the every fishing trip with fresh water and give them a few squirts of WD40 in several spots. This procedure have served me well. I have had zero problems with my VSs over the years.

On 11/25/2022 at 3:27 AM, shark lobster said:

So because you dont climb on rocks you went back to 50 year old reels that are not braid friendly slow as **** noisey as hell ? What did you do with your vs reels? You know you dont have to climb rocks or swim reel under water to use a vs

60 years for the Penn, almost 70 for the Mitchell.

The 704 is ideal for the original fused Fireline in 20#.

I had a VS 200. Hated it. Smashed my knuckles reeling it. Sold it bought two slammer 3 s a 4500 and 5500. Never looked back.

For the guy who said the slammer 5500 was to big, i have an old post on here. I weighed a vs 200 , a slammer 5500 and a 706z from the 1970s. Within an ounce of each other and layed out side by side they look same size.

23 hours ago, Joe Paranee said:

Every surf reel eventually hits the sand or gets dunked …. If ya can’t dunk it to rinse it when it hits the sand what do you do ….blow on it ?

Before I got a vs I would use a water bottle. I usually try to keep one on me while out for the day and I’ve used it to rinse sand out of a reel while knee deep in the surf

after I got a VS I’m not going back for surf reels, the sealing and gear ratio are perfect for everything I do from the surf